Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:16:31 AM EDT
I can't believe Bush is continuing to screw up the hurricane recovery.  Right now there are 11,000 moble homes sitting in a field not being used because federal rules say you can't put a mobile home in a flood zone...which is what most of the area damaged by hurricanes is.  Senators have asked Bush to sign an executive order waiving that requirement temporarily so that the mobile homes could actually be used...Bush still hasn't done anything.  It get's much worse.

The areas damaged by the hurricanes last year are in Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas and Alabama.  Congress being that it represent everyone passed a budget that provides funds to help all the states recover the disasters.  This pissed Bush off and Bush actually blamed Congress for the slow rebuild going on in New Orleans.  Here is what he had to say.

-----
Bush has said Congress "shortchanged the process" by diverting $1.5 billion in levee-rebuilding money to non-New Orleans-related projects. He said Congress should rechannel that money to levee rebuilding and should approve a $4.2 billion allotment for housing in Louisiana, rather than spread that housing money among all the damaged states.
-----

So screw you Mississippi, Texas and Alabama, Bush doesn't want to help you.  He just wants to fund his pet project.  No wonder Bush is pushing so hard for the line item veto.  He would have crossed out all the funding for the other states because obviously he thinks Congress is useless.

Some details came from this article.
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060312/ap_on_go_co/katrina_reid

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Right after Katrina as far as the world was concerned ONLY Louisiana got hit, Nothings changed. Politicians love pandering to minorities
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Blame Bush!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Blame Bush!

When he deserves it.....  yes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Right after Katrina as far as the world was concerned ONLY Louisiana got hit, Nothings changed. Politicians love pandering to minorities

Yeah, there are no minorities in Mississippi, Texas, and Alabama affected by Katrina.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess a blank check just isn't good enough.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#6]
One request to the original poster;  Come down to old Missusip and survey what is going on.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]
LA can't take care of itself... it needs the .gov tit.  The other states have enough will-power and gusto to take care of themseleves without having to run to Uncle George.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LA can't take care of itself... it needs the .gov tit.  The other states have enough will-power and gusto to take care of themseleves without having to run to Uncle George.

It's mainly Chocolate City that is demanding for the .gov tit to pay for everything.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:33:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Blame Bush!

Do not question authority! Go back to your six back and Jerry Springer!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Whether you have a valid case for criticism or not, that is the most retarted title for a thread one could come up with without trying. I am sure he is rubbing his hands with glee over at the oval office with delight now that the south has been screwed, including his home state.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, which has always been the way of politics (especially for minorities) and no matter how much of a disproportionate share LA gets, It (and all the other states affected) will still NOT be restored to a position near to what they were pre-Katrina.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

There are undoubtably still some problems with the ongoing relief effort in all areas but anyone getting all info from mainstream press is not getting the full poo-poo.  I know of several instances written up about people who couldn't get FEMA housing and what it turned out to be was they couldn't get the FEMA trailer and put it where they wanted it, so they said I don't want it if I can't do what I want with it.  THeir next step was to run to the press and whine about it, "Bush won't give me a house".  This whole thing has shown me more about the deceptive nature of the mainstream press than it has anything.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
One request to the original poster;  Come down to old Missusip and survey what is going on.  

What is going on?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is going on?

By and large our Govenor and other authority figs are doing a pretty good job of taking care of the state.  There are still people hurting and my heart goes out to them.  I don't know of many people on the ground who actually feel that the Fed (Bush etc) are out to screw the state of Ms over.  I have personally seen more people pull together and take care of our own in this than at any other time.  My father and mother worked relief efforts for Camille in 69 and it is my mom's opinion that the internal relief effort in Ms has been 10 times better than it was then.  I am not saying we have to do it on our own but I believe we can make it without blaming the giant conspiracy.  JMO
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is going on?

By and large our Govenor and other authority figs are doing a pretty good job of taking care of the state.  There are still people hurting and my heart goes out to them.  I don't know of many people on the ground who actually feel that the Fed (Bush etc) are out to screw the state of Ms over.  I have personally seen more people pull together and take care of our own in this than at any other time.  My father and mother worked relief efforts for Camille in 69 and it is my mom's opinion that the internal relief effort in Ms has been 10 times better than it was then.  I am not saying we have to do it on our own but I believe we can make it without blaming the giant conspiracy.  JMO

Yup,that is what we did after hurricane Hugo. I don't think the Gov't was mentioned once in the case of them taking care of us or not. We all worked together and everybody I knew stood up,worked together and took care of each other.
Sure there was some looting,price gouging and general people being P'sOS , but that will happen anywhere at anytime,we took care of our own and didn't blame anybody for anything other than those who broke the law.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Right now, I am an attorney under a term appointment to a federal agency charged with helping the victims of Wilma, Katrina, and Rita, from Florida to Texas.

There is no State in the areas declared to be national disasters that is being given any less attention than any other.

Again, as I said before when the discussion was 'Why should we re-build New Orleans?' - Do you really wish to make this honorable effort another 'War Between the States'?

Tempers will flare, and folks who are living in blue-tarped homes and trailers are going to get frustrated, but there is no reason to cast some dark cloud of suspicion over an honest effort to help everyone whose lives have been affected.

And insofar as the levees around New Orleans being given top priority, I am all for it!

If you take the monetary costs of the remainder of the areas affected by Katrina and Rita, they would not even begin to touch the amount of economic losses that occurred in New Orleans.

And the United States must save New Orleans, if for no other reason than to continue to have cheap food and relatively inexpensive oil and natural gas.

Please, let's not have this same old argument again, for it would be pointless.

And you would lose again.

And that's all I'm going to say about this.

Eric The(HappyAsHadesToHelpOut)Hun
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blame Bush!

Congress appropriates the $$, NOT GWB
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blame Bush!

Do not question authority! Go back to your six back and Jerry Springer!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is going on?

Fair enough.  Do you honestly feel your areas should not be getting federal dollars while N.O. should?  Or is that situation bogus and there is no real money being requested by localities in MS and AL?

That still doesn't change the fact that I'm not pleased trailers that were bought at ass-rape prices to get them as fast as possible and now they are sitting sinking into a field.  That however is just big government doing what it does.  Waste cash.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#19]
But...but....but....Faith Hill and Tim McGraw said it was all Bush's Fault

More Kool-aid for the simpletons
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Right after Katrina as far as the world was concerned ONLY Louisiana got hit, Nothings changed. Politicians love pandering to minorities that the media is focused on.

you only had half of it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Actually, there are several parts of Louisiana that have had no help at all. In areas devastated by
hurricane Rita, the only relief has come from friends and neighbors.

It's not all of Lousiana getting help ONLY New Orleans!

*grumble*

Sam
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#22]
So what's different. I voted for him twice but he has been screwing the American people since he got elected. He will be judged harshly by historians.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I love how you dems and libs think that GWB lay's awake at night thinking how he can screw the American people.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blame Bush!

Congress appropriates the $$, NOT GWB

Congress did appropraite the dollars and gave less to N.O.  Bush opposed doing that and stated he wanted that to go to N.O. levies.  IF other regions are hurting money and needed that cash to help people in thier areas then I see that statement making some folks mad.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Clearly THE HURRICANE IS BUSHES FAULT!  He should have DEFLECTED the hurricane back out to sea. DUUHHHH.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Congress did appropraite the dollars and gave less to N.O.  Bush opposed doing that and stated he wanted that to go to N.O. levies.  IF other regions are hurting money and needed that cash to help people in thier areas then I see that statement making some folks mad.

Without rebuilding the levees, STRONGER, NOLA will just happen again.

We've spent over $62 billion.    $800 million to fix the levees BEFORE the hurricane would have saved the day.

What a waste of our money.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Clearly THE HURRICANE IS BUSHES FAULT!  He should have DEFLECTED the hurricane back out to sea. DUUHHHH.

Good arguement!  That's some amazing logic you have there.  How he wants money appropriated and if people like his idea on that is clearly related his ability to deflect Hurricanes.

Congrats!  You are a genius.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Without rebuilding the levees, STRONGER, NOLA will just happen again.

We've spent over $62 billion.    $800 million to fix the levees BEFORE the hurricane would have saved the day.

What a waste of our money.

So will there now be no money for the levies because of congress?  The representatives from AL and MS also get a say in how the nations money is spent and they may not see N.O.'s levies as the top priority.  I see nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I sense a lot of and in this thread with some thrown in for good measure.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I love how you dems and libs think that GWB lay's awake at night thinking how he can screw the American people.

Not a dem or a lib and in this case you don't have to dream about how Bush wants to screw people, all you have to do is read his own words!  He wants all of the federal housing money to go to New Orleans and LA and to not spread it around to the other states.  That's his own words!  Despite how resiliant the people in the other states might be...that's still a slap in the face when the President says he only wants to help one group of people while ignoring others right next door.

As for other disasters and the States taking care of it all by themselves, that's not exactly true.  What is the first thing a Governor does after a disaster?  He declares the disaster areas.  Why, because that immediately qualifies them for federal funding in helping recover.  That doesn't mean the Federal government pays for all of it just that the feds do help out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#31]
A major part of the problem is the areas in and around NO where they can put up the trailers does not want them in their neighborhood. They have blocked sites from being developed time after time.

And to be honest I don't blame them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#32]
When I read something like:  "BUSH WANTS TO SCREW OVER..."

...followed by the names of several states, I immediately think that there isn't anything to see.

Had it said, "Bush supports a funding measure that screws over x, y and z..."

That would sound a bit less shrill.

But because it was originally phrased as it was, I have no choice but to consider it suspect.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I swear, sometimes I think I have stumbled into the DemoCrap Underground when I read some of these threads.

What left-wing lunacy some of y'all are spewing!

Give it a break, whydoncha?

Eric The('It'sAllBush'sFault'IsSomethingOfAMantraNowadays)Hun
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#34]
"Chimpy McHitler crashes Hurricane Cheney into New Orleans!!!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
When I read something like:  "BUSH WANTS TO SCREW OVER..."

...followed by the names of several states, I immediately think that there isn't anything to see.

Had it said, "Bush supports a funding measure that screws over x, y and z..."

That would sound a bit less shrill.

But because it was originally phrased as it was, I have no choice but to consider it suspect.

True enough.  I don't think this is a calculated effort to screw over AL, and MS.  I do think it's a little pompus for him to blast AL, and MS for working to get some funds for thier people rather than just bow and send it all to New Orleans.  There are other people with representation who have a right to hold some say over that funding.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#36]
SWIRE, take a moment to think:

Do you really think the president would screw over other states for the sake of Louisiana?  It just doesn't smell right from the get-go, and yet you're falling for a clearly distorted news story designed to to what?  Malign the president.  And you're falling for it unquestioningly.

This happens over and over and over, and people dont seem to get wise to how the press hates the president and is actively doing what they can to bring him down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#37]
What ever happened to people solving problems on their own without Goobermint help.

Didn't it used to be that people were to proud to accept goobermint help, now they line up like bleating sheep whining about others got more than they did.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What ever happened to people solving problems on their own without Goobermint help.

Didn't it used to be that people were to proud to accept goobermint help, now they line up like bleating sheep whining about others got more than they did.

Aid is given to more than just individuals.  Cities need funds to clean up debries, repair systems, provide services that people need to do thier own helping.  Not all cities have the local funds to do that. Thus we declare disaster areas.  Huge up front costs have to be covered to keep companies from sometimes saying "it's not worth it" and leaving a town without needed services.

If you are still lined up for the soup kitchen 6 months after the disaster you are not working hard enough  to fix your own problems.  If you are still sitting in a pile of rubble and city services are not restored, there is nowhere to take your trash, you can't get basic services yet, etc. Those are things I expect government to do since we PAY them to do it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Right now, I am an attorney under a term appointment to a federal agency charged with helping the victims of Wilma, Katrina, and Rita, from Florida to Texas.

There is no State in the areas declared to be national disasters that is being given any less attention than any other.

Again, as I said before when the discussion was 'Why should we re-build New Orleans?' - Do you really wish to make this honorable effort another 'War Between the States'?

Tempers will flare, and folks who are living in blue-tarped homes and trailers are going to get frustrated, but there is no reason to cast some dark cloud of suspicion over an honest effort to help everyone whose lives have been affected.

And insofar as the levees around New Orleans being given top priority, I am all for it!

If you take the monetary costs of the remainder of the areas affected by Katrina and Rita, they would not even begin to touch the amount of economic losses that occurred in New Orleans.

And the United States must save New Orleans, if for no other reason than to continue to have cheap food and relatively inexpensive oil and natural gas.

Please, let's not have this same old argument again, for it would be pointless.

And you would lose again.

And that's all I'm going to say about this.

Eric The(HappyAsHadesToHelpOut)Hun

Now Wayne, there is no point in interrupting another baseless Bush bash by the usual suspects only to present facts that the usual suspects will totally ignore.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Blame the idiots who wanted that "geourgous Gulf view". Blame the fools for thinking that the government would bail them out. You rolled the dice, you lost, start over.

Get used to it there's more coming.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#41]
George Bush doesn't care about white people.
This seems to be much ado about nothing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
So what's different. I voted for him twice but he has been screwing the American people since he got elected. He will be judged harshly by LIBERAL historians.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top