Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:13:37 AM EDT
Saturday night at 2320, we heard a fusilade of shots just down the street.  Eight in all, fired in rapid succession...then about thirty seconds later, screeching tires!  Sounded very much like a large caliber auto pistol.

We went to security alert immediately.  I grabbed my Mossy and my son grabbed his M4gery.  We secured all the lights and exited out the side door by the garage, split up and went to ground to see what developed.

I thought that the source was about six houses down (Where the Bumpuses live, with all their smelly hounds...REALLY)

We heard voices, but couldn't make out any people through the woods (about five hundred meters away).  I thought the missus had called the lawmen...but she had not and by the time we re-entered and secured, I felt it was a bit late to do so.  Besides, we have no less than two county sheriff's deputies living just a block away and I'm sure that if they were home, they heard the gunfire too.

So yesterday, I'm in the front yard and my seven year old grandson is playing with one of the Bumpus boys and they're talking about the shooting!  I asked about it...and we were right, it WAS down at their place.

Seems the nineteen year old BF of the oldest Bumpus girl (also nineteen) decided to come over and play a prank on them.  He left his car running, went into the back yard, and capped off a mag from his pistol...then hauled ass.  Seems he's pissed off at Daddy Bumpus...probably 'cause he cut him off from his source of 'poon.

Anyway...the Bumpus boy then said Dad got REAL pissed off and grabbed his bat and went looking for the dummy who fired all them shots.  That is when number one daughter told him who it was.

Dad has banned the punk...and I told them if he shows his face around again, I'm calling the law.

Neighborhood is going to the dogs...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Seems the nineteen year old BF of the oldest Bumpus girl (also nineteen) decided to come over and play a prank on them.  He left his car running, went into the back yard, and capped off a mag from his pistol...then hauled ass.  Seems he's pissed off at Daddy Bumpus...probably 'cause he cut him off from his source of 'poon.

Anyway...the Bumpus boy then said Dad got REAL pissed off and grabbed his bat and went looking for the dummy who fired all them shots.  That is when number one daughter told him who it was.

Dad has banned the punk

Now theres a way to win your true love back..piss off her dad. Sounds like dad made the right call.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#3]
retalliate. Mess him and/or his neighborhood up....or just call the cops.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
You and your son are going to get killed pulling this kind of stunt.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]
BUMPUSES!

Darren McGavin voice off.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Good point. I could see taking up a secure position in the house, with fields of observation..but not to exit the house to face an unknown threat that may not be initially directed at you, has no intention of engaging you,  but that may engage you once you are observed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

We went to security alert immediately.  I grabbed my Mossy and my son grabbed his M4gery.  We secured all the lights and exited out the side door by the garage, split up and went to ground to see what developed.

*Personally* I would have stayed put in my own home.

I would have armed myself for sure, but stayed in the house.

If in the event I had to exit the house (not advisable), I sure would not have split up. Seems to me that you run the risk of being shot by someone else, the cops or each other.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Exactly right. Secure your area and standby. Sending out a patrol is a good way to take casualties and involve yourself in this goobers personal problems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#10]
You can hear voices 500 meters away?  They must have been yelling.

Why on earth would you leave the house?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#12]
What if the local deputies roll in the wrong way and see you two prone facing outward with weapons at Defcon 4? Might you not then become the "threat" and face a fusilade of shots at worst, or a visit from the SWAT team at best? I agree that something fired 500 meters away through the trees is a threat but unless the rounds are cracking past your ears the best bet might be to hunker in the bunker and wait the all clear signal.
JM2CW from a safe arm chair on a Monday morning!

OBTW if a punk was firing shots at my house/daughter I'd be armed with something more than my Louisville slugger Johnny Bench model in 35" and 34 oz of firepower.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#13]
 I was thinking the same thing. While I would have went outside with all the lights out. Got my night time eyes adjusted to the dark and just listened to the surroundings. But NEVER split up. To many folks get killed by there own while just hunting bambi and jack the rabbit in daytime. But in the night with heart raceing and geared up for the boggie man... Police could be on the way and you know how they like to shoot sleeping dogs....  Just think ove then comeing to a reported shooting and see you or your son armed. Could get ugly.At the least I bet you would have been cavity searched.....   . Glad things turned out well. And whats up with these punks... Shooting guns in the air to make a point with dad. Lets step into the backyard with bare knuckles. Man up punk. WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yup...I think YOU'RE the one that'll be bowing down to Darwin.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:42:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Most places have a law against firing a gun within the city limits or within so many feet of a building.  If you know who did it call the cops and report the car.  Someone lived down range of where those bullets landed.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#16]
But you don't understand!  It was a SECURITY ALERT.  All hands to Battle Stations!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#17]
We live in VERY different neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If in the event I had to exit the house (not advisable), I sure would not have split up. Seems to me that you run the risk of being shot by someone else, the cops or each other.

If you saw the property, you would all recognize why we did it.  We were in cover and darkness from the 3/4 moon.  We had no idea who it might be and what was happening at the time...and we were in no mood to permit any crazy to gain access to the house.

By "splitting up" I meant we were no more than ten meters apart and in positions to provide covering fire if required and to maximize our search area.

Trust me...we were VERY careful for others and ourselves.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:08:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Did you guys slide across any hoods of cars before you took your cover?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you saw the property, you would all recognize why we did it.  We were in cover and darkness from the 3/4 moon.  We had no idea who it might be and what was happening at the time...and we were in no mood to permit any crazy to gain access to the house.

By "splitting up" I meant we were no more than ten meters apart and in positions to provide covering fire if required and to maximize our search area.

Trust me...we were VERY careful for others and ourselves.  

I still stand by my original statement.

You also have to realize that *anyone* else who happened to come upon or see you moving around might make *you* a target. This would also include the cops who may or may not be there to your knowledge. They see a couple of *armed* guys moving around and I just about bet they would shoot you.

Again, I would have stayed in *my* house and made sure no one could come in. For all you knew, while you were out "searching", the perps could have made entry into your home.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#22]
LWilde: I wouldn't leave the house, and splitting up? You folks could've shot at each other. Stay inside your house and report it to the local PD.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#23]
You know...I gave this some more thought....If all you wal-mart haters are right, and the flashlights I buy from there funded the Chi-Coms rolling down my street...Then I would hit the roof tops and shout 'Wolverines', etc...

But just a couple shots and some tires.

Nah...I wouldn't even sweat it. We had 4 kids blow up a car here a few weeks back, 4 blocks away. We were watching TV, kids were in bed, and I said "Dang, someone is out there getting some..." A few moments later I heard kids on my street laughing and running and saying vulgar things about how cool it was. As fast I heard them, they were gone.

In a few weeks, their trial starts.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Some people live their lives with too much melodrama.  If I heard shots that weren't directly in the front foyer I'd just go back to bed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
But you don't understand!  It was a SECURITY ALERT.  All hands to Battle Stations!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point. I could see taking up a secure position in the house, with fields of observation..but not to exit the house to face an unknown threat that may not be initially directed at you, has no intention of engaging you,  but that may engage you once you are observed.

I have to agree here.  By all means be prepared to defend yourself but to go outside and possibly interject yourself  into a situation you are not familiar with is foolish.

Better off to bug in than to go outside.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Good defensive posture more prudent in this situation.

It is okay to take cover within your house and even inform sheriff, but your "RECON" was not wise.

Too much tactical fantasy rolling around in your noggin?

PITSNIPE OUT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

and then do a few shoulder rolls for good measure......
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm amazed that a grown man has such lax judgement as to leave your house and go creeping around in the dark to investigate gunfire. I guess wandering around armed in the dark is OK if you don't meet up with the LEOs arriving to investigate gun fire.

Leaving your wife in the house and going out to play, leaving her undefended, is a good choice too.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Gotta agree. Our plan with stuff happening is to get to a secure part of the house , call 911 and prepare to defend. Going out will just increase your "taking someone eles bullet factor". Indirect fire can kill too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If the po-po was accidentally around the corner when this happened and you were who they saw first, you would have had either an extremely short day, or an extremely looooong day.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Good defensive posture more prudent in this situation.

It is okay to take cover within your house and even inform sheriff, but your "RECON" was not wise.

Too much tactical fantasy rolling around in your noggin?

PITSNIPE OUT

ME?  Too Tactical?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm amazed that a grown man has such lax judgement as to leave your house and go creeping around in the dark to investigate gunfire. I guess wandering around armed in the dark is OK if you don't meet up with the LEOs arriving to investigate gun fire.

Leaving your wife in the house and going out to play, leaving her undefended, is a good choice too.

Miz LWilde undefended?    Ummmm...no
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Time to move.

BC
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#35]
How would you feel if the cops shot and killed your son ? Stay inside,
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
www.zither-banjo.org/images/melodic.jpg

Time to move.

BC

Actually, until the Bumpuses moved in a couple of years ago, this was a very quiet place.  We live on a pond with three other homeowners.  They live quite a disance off and we have some woods between us...but close enough to hear the gunshots I guess.  

Anyway...Pa Bumpus will clean the punk's clock if he catches him.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#37]
What amazes me is all the criticism off the vaguest description of the surroundings. Your response should be situationally dependent, period. If you don't know the set up, you can't tell what actions were appropriate.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the po-po was accidentally around the corner when this happened and you were who they saw first, you would have had either an extremely short day, or an extremely looooong day.

We considered that.  Two of the sheriff's live within a quarter mile of us.  They know us and the layout of our land.  The BG does not.  We had every intention of ID'ing ourselves clearly if it came down to that.  Trust me, I wasn't taking any chances on getting shot.  Pretty hard to see us anyway...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Time to move.

BC

HEY!!  Leave the Banjos out of this!

ETA: Oh yeah, almost forgot.  Since we all have the luxury of Monday Morning quarterbacking LWilde's actions, I too think you would have been safer to stay put in the house.  Seems to me that actively looking for the idiots just might have you finding them.  And then what?

My "plan" is like many others.  I have designated a "safe" room where the Mrs. and kids will take refuge, and I will defend the approach to that room.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#40]
I guess Im stupid too because I would be making my way to my friends house.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
LWilde: I wouldn't leave the house, and splitting up? You folks could've shot at each other. Stay inside your house and report it to the local PD.

It's okay so long as they complete a few 360 rolls.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Smart! Go confront the guy wielding a gun with a bat. Darwin is calling.

Wave, you said it better than I would have.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Ok fellas...points well taken.

Just a thought though...y'all weren't here. and hindsight is always 20/20.

I guess I deserved it...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Were you guys naked?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding.  Sometimes I wonder about the wanna-be commandos here
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Man I live in the country and I hear shots at all hours all the time. I would never run outside with my gun, unless maybe there was some screaming too. I think people around here just like to get drunk and walk out on their decks and test fire a few.

Now about every other day I hear what sounds like a cannon. That does have me curious.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I would have taken up cover and concealment...

Under my bed with my dog!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

hr

:rofl:
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#49]
He's a Naval Officer, 500 yards is well inside our perimeters, we tend to think of defensive perimeters beginning at the 32 mile range ring on the PPI and going out from there.

We get real excited whever a potential threat is within 5000 yards, and really woopsie at 2000 yds.

I guess it all depends on what weapons you are used to engaging with.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First priority:  Protect your family

By leaving your house and splitting up, you left your wife in a vulnerable position.

I did something very similar to you one night and later realized I put my wife and children in danger by leaving the house (with a gun) and pursuing someone who had trespassed on my property.   If it ever happens again, I am staying put (heavily armed of course).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top