Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 2:28:41 PM EDT
I have decided I need to augment my AR's with a 308 I have owned a FAL and a M1A and like both.  I'm leaning towards A FAL but I'm not commited yet.  I want it for longer range than 5.56 and large animals.  I would like to have a folding/collapsible butt stock.  It will have a scope and be primarily for longer range and big game.  Which and why? Help me out here.
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]
FAL

ETA oh, you want a reason.  Um. Because they are cool.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Get both!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]

I like the FAL, but the sights suck. I had a very nice, high end DSA FAL, but I sold it. It felt great, but
it was not as accurate as any of my M1A's...even my "off the rack" Springfield.

I would shoot both and see which one you're more comfortable with. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Are doing this weekly now?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

daily
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think you mean every 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Cheaper mags with the FAL, and it is a super gun.

Never shot a M1A
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Tough choice, while I really like the FAL for many reasons, I would chose an M1A because the action is more ergonomic to me.

They are both excellent weapons so you really can't get it wrong, no matter which choice you ultimately make.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]
For the last time, FAL.  Yes every single poll that comes up, the FAL wins hands down.  If you have to ask, FAL.  If you were just curious, FAL.  If you even thought about it, FAL.  If you're hungry, Pie.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I own both.

Both are great.

You'd be happy with either.

That said, M1A kicks shit out of FAL.

Period.

SG
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Easy, FAL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had both, I only want one 1 308 anymore and its down to M1A or FAL but it will get a scope and I want versatility which both do, well.  I have been looking at DS Arms but there web site doesnt go into the details enough like why a shortend action for the tactical?  Do I want a 16 or 18" barrel?  The M1A on the other hand is straight forward.  I just think the tactcal advantage might go to the FAL as the M1A SOCOM model 14 is quite alot more $  if money were no object I would get both.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#16]
M1A

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#17]
F
A
L

'Nuff said...hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#18]
You absolutely cannot go wrong with either, but I give the nod to the FAL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, let's break this down by attribute.

Accuracy - Both about the same out of the box in basic configuration, but the M1A can be tweaked easier.  M1A has better out of the box sights, IMNHO.  Advantage: M1A

Ergonomics - Apples and Oranges here.  The FAL is a straight-line pistol grip rifle with handle.  Unless you have a big hand like me, the safety is not that easy to flip on/off.  M1A easier for either-handed shooter to deal with.  Advantage: M1A, but not by much.

Magazines - Both have rugged 20 round steel mags, but the FAL's is much cheaper.  Advantage: FAL.

Mounting optics - They both suck.  There are solutions available for each, but none are perfect.  TIE

Reliability - This is subject to some debate and it depends precisely on how well each is fitted and how they are set up.  In actual combat, the FAL has functioned and fought in more environments.  Advantage: FAL, but not by much.

Trigger - I have never seen a FAL trigger anywhere near as nice as an M1A trigger.  Also, nmore match trigger groups ad other toys abound for the M1A.  Advantage: M1A

Cost - Low-cost FALS of somewhat dubious origina, but still reliable, can be had for under $500.  The best of the best are under $1500.  M1As start at $1200 and go up from there.  Advantage: FAL.

Looking Evil - FAL, hands down

Looking sexy - M1A, hands down

That said, I have a FAL.  I want an M1A.  

Your call.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the comparison and agree with most of it except the obvious omission.

Quoted:
Reliability - This is subject to some debate and it depends precisely on how well each is fitted and how they are set up.  In actual combat, the FAL has functioned and fought in more environments.  Advantage: FAL, but not by much.

The FAL with its adjustable gas system allows the shooter to continue to use it far past any other weapons requirement to be stripped and cleaned from serious buildup and most importantly probably allow use of different pressure cartridges without major FTE issues.

A marked reliability advantage for the FAL imo.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ok, let's break this down by attribute.

Accuracy - Both about the same out of the box in basic configuration, but the M1A can be tweaked easier.  M1A has better out of the box sights, IMNHO.  Advantage: M1A

Ergonomics - Apples and Oranges here.  The FAL is a straight-line pistol grip rifle with handle.  Unless you have a big hand like me, the safety is not that easy to flip on/off.  M1A easier for either-handed shooter to deal with.  Advantage: M1A, but not by much.

Magazines - Both have rugged 20 round steel mags, but the FAL's is much cheaper.  Advantage: FAL.

Mounting optics - They both suck.  There are solutions available for each, but none are perfect.  TIE

Trigger - I have never seen a FAL trigger anywhere near as nice as an M1A trigger.  Also, nmore match trigger groups ad other toys abound for the M1A.  Advantage: M1A

Cost - Low-cost FALS of somewhat dubious origina, but still reliable, can be had for under $500.  The best of the best are under $1500.  M1As start at $1200 and go up from there.  Advantage: FAL.

Looking Evil - FAL, hands down

Looking sexy - M1A, hands down

That said, I have a FAL.  I want an M1A.  

Your call.

Good reply.  I don't exactly agree 100%, but well put.

P.S.  FAL
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Sights, trigger, and (arguably) safety are better on the M1A, plus it's a little more...."patriotic", if you will, being such an American icon. An M1A will eat any surplus 7.62x51mm or commercial FMJ .308 ammo you throw in it with no complaints, while a FAL will make you adjust the gas system for different loads. It also strikes a near-perfect balance between the "totally evil" and "toatlly normal" rifle "looks": everyone won't look at you funny if you take it hunting, but it's just "evil" enough to fit in equally well at any Arfcom-ish shoot. Considering practical matters, an M1A (if it's not a Norinco copy) will never give you trouble in the parts count department... i.e., you never have to worry about how many US-made parts are on the rifle, since they're all US made to begin with. On a FAL, however, the opposite is true. For example, it is relatively common for FALs to have the mag floorplate be one of the US parts. That means every extra mag you buy will have to have a new, US made floorplate installed. This may or may not be a hassle, depending on what parts a particular FAL has made in USA and what you plan to do to it. Also - in case anybody besides me cares at all - the bayonet for the FAL looks stupid, especially when attatched. The bayonet for the M1A is uber-awesome - especially when attatched (I have a "thing" for bayonets...).

Don't get me wrong, the FAL has it's own pluses, too. I just have to manifest my M1A bias at all possible opportunities...

FAL overall length: 43"
FAL barrel length: 21"
FAL sight radius: 22"
Weight: 8.75 lbs

M1A overall length: 44 1/3"
M1A barrel length: 22"
M1A sight radius: 26 1/2"
Weight: 9.2 lbs

As you can see, there really aren't many differences in terms of dimensions: only a 1" differenece in barrel length (M1A's favor), 1 1/3" OA length (FAL's favor), and a little less than a half of a pound difference in weight (FAL's favor). The only important difference - sight radius (a rather large 4 1/2" difference) - is hands down in favor of the M1A. This, combined with the fact that the sights are better to begin with and the presence of an already slightly longer barrel, gives the M1A a slight edge in practicality IMHO. The M1A really is a better target shooting rifle and, at only 1" longer than the FAL, can still do all the "nitty-gritty" battle rifle-type stuff that the FAL does.

IMHO, the only real benefits the FAL have are a pistol grip and cheap mags. Most every other comparison either comes out a tie or in favor of the M1A, arguably.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#23]
How about the RRA AR-10 types when it comes out?  Cheap, 1 MOA accuracy, easy to mount optics, and takes FAL mags.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#24]
FAL

<-------  DSA Austrian STG58 with carbine barrel, Steyr short flash hider, European Walnut stock,
and for those shitty FAL sights...   Para rear sight with A2 peep w/ windage knob

Damn sexy rifle !

LB
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#25]
M1A = no pistol grip = not an option.
I love FALs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Man those fals look exactly like the original assult rifles, the 44's.

How come no one has mentioned the fact that it's hard to get an M1A from the factory that works right?

Do FALS suffer the same issue?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Get an LRB...build it with USGI parts and you will be good to go...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#28]
They can own M1A's in California.

If you don't own a gun that they can't own, it kinda takes the fun out of mocking them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm an M1a guy but you can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#30]
They are exactly equal, they both have pro's and con's but they are perfectly equal in the distribution of said pro's and con's, so there is absolutely no difference between them in terms of one being better than the other. There is NO quantitative difference that would make either one of them a better choice, you are going to have to strap on a pair, and pick one for your self.

You should buy either one, (doesn’t mater which) then save up and buy the other, if you find that the one you purchased first isn’t what you like sell it and buy the other, if you don’t like that one, then guns isn’t a hobby for you, because these 2 battel rifles are some of the finest of there type and you should get in to pokymon or some other emasculated hobby.

Any one who disagrees with my assessment of the FAL –vs-M1a debate, is a fucking retarded who's only gun is a Feather at22 with a tapco laser site,

BTW I own both. but not all three even though i did own a feather at22 but with out the tapco laser
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

DSA extreme duty scope mount.  Problem solved. FAL
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#32]
This is easy...an LRB M14SA

I've had nothing but problems with M1As.  LRB is forged and made in the USA.
M1As are cast in Canada and machined in the USA, the balance of the parts are farmed out around the world and are also cast.  LRB builds their rifles with USGI parts, Criterion barrels, only the flash hiders are imported.

www.lrbarms.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top