Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 7:47:32 AM EDT
A buddy of mine is looking to purchase his first firearm.  I realize that an SKS may not be the ideal choice, but it's what he wants (cheap ammo, dependable, easily and cheaply repaired).  

Shotgun News may be my first choice, but was curious as to what some of you SKS oldtimers thought.  

Any thoughts, ideas, etc?  

I appreciate the help,
Rob
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a shooter grade direct from AIM surplus.  It was completely non functional as received but a thorough cleaning and a lot of sweet's took the rust out of the bore and it functions 100%.   The Yugo is a nice rifle.  I paid $89+14 shipping.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought a shooter grade direct from AIM surplus.  It was completely non functional as received but a thorough cleaning and a lot of sweet's took the rust out of the bore and it functions 100%.   The Yugo is a nice rifle.  I paid $89+14 shipping.  

This is what I was looking for.  I could recall seeing them for 89 plus shipping, but for the life of me couldn't remember where.  

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
centerfiresystems

Inter Ordnance   has some to
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go witht he $129 ones from AIM. I heard they are like new.

As for the ammo being cheap? Well it was a couple years ago. Now it is a lot harder to find and not so cheap.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess not any cheaper, but J&G Sales has "good condition" for $99.95, or $89.95 if you buy more than one, and "excellent to like new" for $149.95.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would go witht he $129 ones from AIM. I heard they are like new.

As for the ammo being cheap? Well it was a couple years ago. Now it is a lot harder to find and not so cheap.

Wolf?  fairly prevalent here.  Not surplus, but still cheap.

I'll talk to him and see what he wants to do.  The rifle is birthday present to himself...I'd be willing to clean it inside and out (as well as spring for some ammo) as part of his gift from me.

He's not expecting gilt-edged accuracy.  I've tried to help him as much as I can in the way of expectations.  He expects a "beater rifle" although he may spring for the "upgrade".
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
done business with AIM more than once they stand and deliver
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Interordnance still has some excellent condition ones for $108. These have little or no wear to them, good looking barrels, and stocks in great condition.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Be prepared for a fight with cosmoline.  I spent 4 hours yesterday de-gunking 2 yugo's and I'm still not finished.  I'd say I removed about 95% and thats good enough for now.  PITA.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Be prepared for a fight with cosmoline.  I spent 4 hours yesterday de-gunking 2 yugo's and I'm still not finished.  I'd say I removed about 95% and thats good enough for now.  PITA.

Non chlorinated disc brake cleaner.   It will instantly dissolve cosmoline.   Took me 5 minutes to clean the cosmo off the Yugo I bought.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought (2) from AIM and they were in unissued condition, especially the internals.

Next time I will spend the extra and order up the cosmoline free ones.

I loved the AIM ad.

Free Cosmoline With Every Rifle!

Pretending it was a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just bought (2) from AIM and they were in unissued condition, especially the internals.

Next time I will spend the extra and order up the cosmoline free ones.

I loved the AIM ad.

Free Cosmoline With Every Rifle!

Pretending it was a good thing.

YESSSSSS!!!!!! FREE COSMOLINE!

Horah for the gunk of the gods!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#14]
AIM Surplus is currently running a special on excellent condition Yugo M59/66 rifles for $129.95, or $119.95 if you buy two of them (Item No. SKS-Exc).

When there is only 30 bucks of difference difference between a well-used rifle and one that looks like it just left the factory, why would anyone in their right mind buy a beater?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top