Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 7:34:00 AM EDT
Wife wants to get ADT home security system installed and get monitoring service for the house.
I got a quote of $250 for installation and $40 per month for monitoring service... plus city/police  permit, etc. with 3 yr contract.  Is home security worth having?

I already have dogs... isn't that enough?

Give me your 2 cents worth.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Your house isn't secure worth a shit without bars on the windows.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yeah, but who wants to feel like being in jail in your own home?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You need to shop around. I got my security system for free. I did have to sign up for 2 years of service at $28 a month.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
IMO they're not very useful.  we have one, and one time when coming home from a vacation we set it off and didn't enter the code in time.  we get a call almost TWENTY MINUTES later asking if everything is OK.  in the event of a real intrusion, such a slow response time is near useless.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Remington model 870. 285$
Plus you want a: Surfire light pump 20icn rifled barrel wilson combat 2 shell magazine extension and a speed feed pistol grip stock set. 600$

I think my way you save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats 1690 for every thing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have any neighbors you know well enough, or work close to home,  look into getting an X10 home security system with a dialer.    You can have it call a neighbor across the street, which might be a much faster response time, and the X10 system costs $99, with no monthly fees, as you're not calling the police or a security company, but upto 4 numbers you program into it.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
IMO they're not very useful.  we have one, and one time when coming home from a vacation we set it off and didn't enter the code in time.  we get a call almost TWENTY MINUTES later asking if everything is OK.  in the event of a real intrusion, such a slow response time is near useless.

We set ours off once. And within a minute they were calling.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but who wants to feel like being in jail in your own home?

If you don't want your stuff stolen, or ever deal with someone inside your house in the middle of the night, bars are the only way to go.

I've never understood what it is Americans dislike about bars...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You need a new service. Never had ADT fail to call in more than a minute or so when we set it off.

That said,  My ADT unit is simply used as a perimeter alert to let me know where to aim.

Most hardcore perps are gonna cut the phone line anyhoo, but the alarm control box and siren are inside and inderpendent.

All my contol keypads have a screen that tells me EXACTLY which sensor in what location was tripped, and all doors and windows are wired AND wireless. Each room has a glass break sensor and motion detector as well.

Nice setup, but I DO NOT rely on it to STOP a perp, only maybe deter the smart ones who'll move on to an unproteceted house, and to alert me where to point the gun if someone is stupid enough to break in while I'm here. When I'm not home, all the shit worth stealing is in the gun safe.

All ANY alarm or safe buys you is time and possibly a small amout of deterrence due to the hassle...nothing more.

SG
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I sell and service security systems.  IMHO they are as useful and important as your elect or plumbing system.

They will instantly tell you if someone has been in your house while you were away.  They can call and report a fire in process early enough to save the structure if nobody is home.

Once a woman has had one in her home, she will always have one, they are that comforting.

Look around, you can easily find monitoring for 200 bucks a year, paid in advance with only year to year renewal, no long term contract.

Good hardware is expensive, the price leader a compny advertises is not going to be the best system as far as quality, support and features.

Cell backups are available and worthwhile.  Just an additional 12 bucks a month for the cell service.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#12]
See my post in Nevada Hometown.

A crew hit at least 3 stores in Reno a few nights ago. At least 2 Had ADT and never got called by the monitoring center.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
See my post in Nevada Hometown.

A crew hit at least 3 stores in Reno a few nights ago. At least 2 Had ADT and never got called by the monitoring center.

As an independant dealer, I can have anyone monitor my accounts, including the ADT central station.  

I do not use ADT, eventhough they are cheaper.......
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]
ADT sucks.  I worked for them for three years.

I use this: www.alarm.com  No phone line to cut, and it's controllable over the Internet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wife wants to get ADT home security system installed and get monitoring service for the house.
I got a quote of $250 for installation and $40 per month for monitoring service... plus city/police  permit, etc. with 3 yr contract.  Is home security worth having?

It depends on what they are installing.  I have been in the alarm business, and MY house has full perimeter with glass break detectors as backup.  

Dogs and guns are an important part of a home safety plan, but they cannot call the police, and guns are simply a target for burglars if you are not there.

The FBI says that 1 in 4 homes will be burglarized this year, 2 out of 4 within 10 years.  A non-alarmed home is 3 times more likely to be burglarized than one with a system.

Quoted:

Bars are unattractive and can trap you inside in case of a fire.  

You can have it call a neighbor across the street, which might be a much faster response time
 I don't want my neighbor possibly facing a burglar.  Even if he is super neighbor and total bad ass willing to face a burglar, what makes me think he would be home if I am not home?

As a cop I made 1 Burglary call at a residence where there was an alarm.  In that case, the only thing missing was the microwave that was sitting within arms reach of the back door that was forced open.  No  further entry was made.

I HAVE made many burglary reports where there was no alarm and lots of stuff was stolen.  Many homes had dogs, in one case the neighbor came over when he saw the police car and told us he had seen a truck in the driveway and 2 guys coming and going from the house.  He just did not imagine a burglary.

I set my alarm on instant when we go to bed, I will know if somone is trying to enter my house while his feet are still OUTSIDE.  

Yobo, run a google search on Home Burglary Facts and do some research.  A system is an important part of your plan, but you should go in informed.  

Good Luck.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#16]
tag for when I get back from the range.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#17]
if it doesnt have 4 legs, fur, and weigh at least 50 lbs, it's not a security system.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#18]
That's why you can get bars with nice designs and emergency releases on the inside.
Better than losing your stuff or having to shoot someone and make a disgusting bloody mess in your house...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Stickers on the window that say you have guns and a dog.

All the other pay for services are a complete waste of money and they provide a false sense of security.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep, I had alarm service too...
Never went off, even though the window was broken, the magnetic sensor wasn't displaced, so no response...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't think they're worth much on their own. However, it should be part of your home security IMHO. I have Brinks, ADT is teh suck.

Brinks is pretty damn fast to call as well.

Either way, I believe it will stop the "amatuer" burglar, same as I feel about car security, i.e: alarms, club, etc.. the professional can get it if they want it. Same with home security. $.02
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Shop around and get 3-4 bids.  I found ADT and Brinks wanted $750+ to install the alarm and then they wanted $30+ for monitoring.  I ended up finding an regional firm which was smaller, cheaper, used equipment that was as good, and didn't oursource any employees.  Around $500 installed (fairly extensive system) and $25/mo. (it is more than that now but not much more, and where I live alarm service is taxed!!).  They also waranteed everything for any reason for 2 years and have a fairly cheap annual service contract.  

Security is multilayers.  Have dogs, good neighbors, good alarms, pay attention, keep a low profile, etc.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Make sure you get  contacts on all windows most of the "advetised specials" you get a crappy basic system 3 doors contact and 1 motion. Which means somneone could break into the bedroom window(where there is no motion) without an alarm going off.
Also with am motion only if you have the alarm armed at night and you get up to make a sandwhich the alarm will go off unless you have the motion turned off. making the  system almost useless.

Get contacts on doors and windows then maybe a motion detector.

My monitoring cost $15 a month with fire monitoring.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#26]
ADT's quote for $250 is for 1 keypad plus 1 wireless door and 8 window sensors and 2 wired door and 3 window sensor.  They said they will include one motion sensor inside for "free".  The system is fully warranteed for the life of the contract.

I'm going to check into Brinks this week.        
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
ADT's quote for $250 is for 1 keypad plus 1 wireless door and 8 window sensors and 2 wired door and 3 window sensor.  They said they will include one motion sensor inside for "free".  The system is fully warranteed for the life of the contract.

I'm going to check into Brinks this week.        

And it will be a "locked" panel that only ADT can monitor, you don't really own the system, but they will not remove it if your contract ends.  Another company can monitor it only after you install (buy) a new panel.  It is a little game they play, but I refuse to be a part of in the alarm industry.

If you buy and pay to install hardware, it is YOURS .  I will not limit what you can do with your property.  Many alarm companies lock you into their very high monitoring fees with this neat trick.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Get two independent systems with radio or cellular back-up, incase of phone line disruption. Costs more, but worth it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#29]
ADT just sells you a security system in name only. You are buying a monthly payment for $68 worth of materials, poorly installed. Educate yourself. What if you are disatisfied?

Believe me, a real security system is like a real gun. You don't get something for nothing.

See my sig...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#30]
While I've got y'alls ears, how do the scotchshield and graffiti resistant films affect the use of glass break detectors?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
What's your point, if you wife wants it you have no choice.

Sorry but it doesn't work that way in our house.
She may "want" it but if we can find a better alternative solution we'll go the alternative.
Its a two way strteet... I have a lot of "wants" too but I don't get all my toys.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
While I've got y'alls ears, how do the scotchshield and graffiti resistant films affect the use of glass break detectors?

No first hand experience, but my guess is they will have reduced range of detection with the glass coating.  

Windows are a challenge to protect.  My favorite solution is alarm screening.  The screen covers the window and can not be removed, cut or damaged without tripping the alarm.  It stops the intrusion before the glass is broken (though, maybe just seconds before the glass breaks). A mag switch is netter than nothing, but won't trip if the sash is not moved.

Glass breaks have falsing issues in some installations.  Wind chimes, thunder storms, loud music can cause problems.

Motion detectors are "false alarm generators" IMO.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#34]
If your handy you can install one yourself. thats wha ti did. I did all the doors and put in 4 motion detectors some with glass sensors built into them.and a coupe of keypads Took some time to do it but only cost me 350 in materiel. Programmed itto call my cell and turn it on every night.it set for instant any of the doors are opened .

And i own it
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Hell no, don't go with ADT. For $250, you are getting the cheapest Ademco panel, 1 keypad, 1 motion sensor, and only the front and back doors wired. $40 per month over 3 years is  $1440. Your total after 3 years is $1690 out of pocket.

If you were here in NY, I would be giving you a top of the line Napco Gemini with LCD keypad http://www.napcosecurity.com/testframe.html?about-profile.html (or top of the line Ademco if you really wanted it - Napco is better), 1 motion, and front and back doors wired for $400. Then I would be charging you $17 per month for 3 years for a total of $612. Your total out of pocket for a better panel with LCD keypad would be $1012.

You would be saving $678 in the first 3 years. Since you probably will keep service after 3 years, their bill will keep coming at $23 a month more than I would be charging you.

If you figure the numbers out on a 5 year, you spent an additional $552 in monitoring ($960 as opposed to $408).

That $1230 you saved is more than enough to actually give you a system that fully protects you as you can get all your windows wired (or wireless transmitters put on them), and at least a smoke detector on each floor.

The basic system they're selling you affords you no protection at night when you go to sleep and the motion sensor is shut off - anyone can open an unportected window and get right in.

Find yourself a private company (not ADT, Slomins, or any of the other home heating oil companies) and get an estimate from them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#36]
So what did you decide to do?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top