Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 6:41:16 AM EDT
Story seems to be a little slanted...he was already out of the pros before he joined...

I hope he joined for the right reasons

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060311/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/nfl_to_marines

SAN DIEGO - A former college teammate of Pat Tillman is following in his footsteps, leaving a career in professional football to join the military.

Pfc. Jeremy Staat, a former defensive lineman who played for the     Pittsburgh Steelers and the     St. Louis Rams, graduated from the San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot on Friday.

Enlisting "is probably one of the best decisions I've made in my life," Staat, 29, told The Associated Press after the ceremony.

Tillman, who played defensive back for the     Arizona Cardinals, was killed by friendly fire near the Pakistan-     Afghanistan border in April 2004. The Defense Department is investigating allegations of a cover-up, including the Army's failure to tell Tillman's family for several weeks that he had been killed by gunfire from his fellow Army Rangers, not by enemy fire as they initially were told.

Staat said he was felt compelled to join the military after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks but Tillman, who was his roommate at Arizona State, advised him to stay with professional football until he qualified for retirement benefits.

"He told me, 'You're a good player, you need to get good play.' Then four months later, at his wedding, I learn he's going to the Army," Staat said. "I joked to him, 'You stole my idea,' and he said it had been in the process for a while."

Tillman's death gave him "more motivation" to enlist, Staat said. "I should have been there for him."

Tillman gave up a $1.2 million NFL contract to join the Army Rangers.

Staat played for the Steelers from 1998 to 2000, and played two games with the Rams in 2003. He was playing for the Los Angeles Avengers of the Arena Football League before being put on the league's suspended list.

"I never felt right about making the money I was making," he said. "We pay millions of dollars to professional athletes and entertainers, yet we pay military service people pennies to a dollar, and they're the ones risking their lives."

To enlist, the 6-foot-5 player said he dropped from 310 to 260 pounds. He said three months of boot camp training gave him a deeper appreciation for team camaraderie.

"It's about looking out for your fellow soldier, and being ready to take a bullet for someone," he said.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Attaboy!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if he's gonna get killed the same way...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I wonder if this was the dumbest post you've ever made.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I agree with Rik.
Might as well shut theboards down, the impossible has happened.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  But likely the dumbest in ARFcom history.

What are you?  11?  12?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Semper Fidelis

Congrats to PVC  Jeremy Staat !!!

Wally
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got mixed feelings over guys that have huge earnings and star potential joining the military, specially if they're going to be placed in harms way, which is very likely.  

First, while they do have the right to protect their country and I think it's very admirable that they want to, they also have a duty to provide for and protect their family, something for which they're infinetly better suited for than the average teenager.

Secondly, their impending stardom and millions might be better suited on pro-American work right here in the US, something they're wasted on in the military.  But they can be a role model while being an NFL star and use their money and fame to good cause.

I admire them, truly I do.  But I just wonder if their talents can't be better employed here.  We're in a fight for the hearts and minds here in the states too.  A pro military, pro America NFL star could go a long way to reverse the damage liberal educators are doing to young people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

WTF is wrong with you! Look up the word TACT in the dictionary.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Tact" on Arfcom?  Have we been reading the same message board?  I've seen very litte of it here.  But I agree his post was one of the most tasteless I've seen in some time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I wonder if you could get any dumber?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Just an idle thought, relax guys...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Tact" on Arfcom?  Have we been reading the same message board?  I've seen very litte of it here.  But I agree his post was one of the most tasteless I've seen in some time.

Sorry 3rdpig. I hate comments like that. Some people should think before they talk/post. That comment has really pissed me off. I going to take a break to cool off. Later.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Apparently I'm not conveying myself well today...

The way Tillman went was a bad way to go, and I hope he doesn't suffer the same fate...

You agree with me, don't you?

(I'm in a bit of an odd state of mind at the moment, didn't sleep too well...)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's idling pretty rough, isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#16]
He called his fellow marines "soldiers". Sounds like this marines got some Army Ranger envy, fellas.

(sorry, had to, I know the jarheads would have done it to us)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's idling pretty rough, isn't it?

Oh yeah, very rough...

I had some very disturbing dreams last night...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No he has others.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No he has others.....

Which ones?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No he has others.....

Which ones?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=445217
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#21]
You did see my second reply there, didn't you?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just a suggestion:  Don't try too hard to hold intestinal gas -- It might pop out somewhere else.

Next time, try hitting the small 'X' at the top/right of the screen, instead of 'post'.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Perhaps you should just quit while you're behind.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Bleh, calm down guys...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That link covered both..Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Bleh, calm down guys...

Bleh, GFY.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not making much sense today.
Just leave it at that...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm not making much sense today.
Just leave it at that...

...or just leave the thread.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, good idea...
Things aren't quite coming out how they're supposed too...

You know you've had days like this too though...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Fox just got done doing a story on this...What a great guy.

Read some of his quotes.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Okay, just finished eating...

(Not eating at the right times when you've got as strict a diet and regimen as mine can do bad things to the mind...)

Anyways, to set the record straight.

I have absolute respect for Tillman, I love what he did for this country, and it would be great if more people would do the same.

But what happened to him was horrible.
And I really hate the fact there was an attempted cover up, that is still more or less going to this day...
I believe if you f*Ck up, just admit it and accept the responsibility and deal with the consequences all ready.

I really wish nothing but the best of luck for this guy, and I hope everything works out fine for him.

(Sorry if I couldn't get that right a while ago, not my intent at all!)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

(Not eating at the right times when you've got as strict a diet and regimen as mine can do bad things to the mind...)

I have absolute respect for Tillman, I love what he did for this country, and it would be great if more people would do the same.

And I really hate the fact there was an attempted cover up, that is still more or less going to this day...
I believe if you f*Ck up, just admit it and accept the responsibility and deal with the consequences all ready.

I really wish nothing but the best of luck for this guy, and I hope everything works out fine for him.

Tell ya what.  Take down that "uber-pretty" crap and replace your current avatar with a zombie or something and we'll consider forgiving you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#33]
But I can't deny what I am!

Seriously, if I shave, I look like a girl...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#34]
SO, why is this guy on suspension from arena football?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

....I tried to help ya.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

[/quote

Fratricide is an ugly truth in combat.

The Ranger Regiment is not an ordinary unit doing ordinary things. We ( the public) don't always have a "need" to know. The Regiment can handle it's own business.

My 0.02
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Might as well shred your man-card right now, bub.

BC
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#38]
I may look like a girl, but I'm still 6' 4" and 219 lbs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1.
NME has been "off" for quite some time now.
Always posting stupid shit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
SO, why is this guy on suspension from arena football?

Not sure but it looked like his Football Career was over..I was hoping that joining the Marines wasn't a last grab for the spotlight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top