Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 6:33:16 AM EDT
Every spring I get a lot of these box elder bugs. Now that it's been warm for the last couple of days, I'm getting a lot of them in my house. What is a good way to get rid of these things for good or at least to keep them out of our house?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually don't see massive numbers of those until fall.

Just suck them up with the shop vac.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Nasty looking critter, I use DURSBAN around the house in a sprayer.

Keeps the critters at bay.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what a Box Elder bug is but Pyrethrum will kill it dead as fried chicken.  Go to your local Farmers Co-Op and get some of their Dairy Barn insectecide. It is Pyrethrum based. This stuff is safe around the house too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a similar bug problem. However, the bugs are "ladybugs" and I mean a lot of them, in the house and especially in the detached garage. anybody got idea about getting rid of these.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't recall seeing many of those here in Georgia.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a similar bug problem. However, the bugs are "ladybugs" and I mean a lot of them, in the house and especially in the detached garage. anybody got idea about getting rid of these.

Same here in NH.  They winter in the cracks of closed windows, and come out when it gets warm.  They are very similiar in appearance to lady bugs, but were actually an imported bug that ate other, more damaging bugs off crops.  They've just spread like crazy.

They actually can bite too, though it's like a pin prick.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I use a shopvac on those little bastards.  Just before I turn it off, I'll shoot a short blast of Pyrethrum into the hose. Down for the count!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Spraying them with soapy water works and you don't have to worry about using it inside the house. Outside just get a hose attachment for spraying stuff, and fill it with dishwashing liquid. Spray the heck out of the Box Elder trees they nest in. Or, cut down those trees. That's what my parents ended up doing at their house a few years ago. After that there was a sharp decline in how many of those bugs were around.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Squirt them down with soapy water, it kills them dead
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Every spring I get a lot of these box elder bugs. Now that it's been warm for the last couple of days, I'm getting a lot of them in my house. What is a good way to get rid of these things for good or at least to keep them out of our house?

Let me know when you have an answer...

I call them "Midwest" cockroaches

Originally Posted By bigcraig

Not ladybugs, those are asian beetles.

They were brought to the states on purpose to eat crop damaging bugs.

In the fall they start congregating under any insulation they can find.

Every spring I find them under folded tarps, lifejackets by the thousands in my barn.
(The ones that didn't winter in my house that is )

GM

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top