BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 11:15:19 PM EDT
Senate panel OKs new border fencing in Arizona
Charles Hurt
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
March 10, 2006
www.washtimes.com/national/20060310-120959-1171r.htm
The Senate Judiciary Committee agreed yesterday to erect new fencing along parts of the Arizona-Mexico border but stopped far short of a House proposal to build more fences over a wider area.
   Sen. Jon Kyl, Arizona Republican and a member of the committee, pushed through the amendment to the massive immigration reform legislation being debated by the Senate.
   The Kyl proposal calls for 200 miles of fencing and vehicle barriers along Arizona's border with Mexico, but no new fences in California, New Mexico and Texas.
  "It will make it much more difficult for smugglers and illegal aliens to gain entry, significantly reduce crime rates in border towns, and preserve fragile desert lands and archeological resources which are impacted by illegal pedestrian and vehicular traffic," he said.
   The amendment passed on a voice vote.
   In December, the House voted to build 700 miles of fencing in all four states that border Mexico, a proposal that even conservative Senate Republicans oppose on the grounds that it would be too expensive. Instead, they favor a "virtual" border with sensors, unmanned aerial vehicles, increased border patrol agents and fencing in high population or high-traffic areas.
   Yesterday's Judiciary meeting was the second day of negotiations over the immigration bill. Like the first day, yesterday's hearing put off several of the more contentious issues such as President Bush's proposed guest-worker program.
   Last year, Majority Leader Bill Frist, Tennessee Republican, said he would move ahead with legislation that dealt only with border security.
   But he allowed Sen. Arlen Specter, Pennsylvania Republican and Judiciary Committee chairman, to offer a version that includes a guest-worker program with the understanding that if Mr. Specter's panel didn't complete a bill after five days of committee negotiations, Mr. Frist would move ahead with a security-only bill.
   While panel members say they are optimistic that they will finish the bill, negotiations have been slow. On Wednesday, there often weren't enough members present to vote on amendments.
   Yesterday, things were slow at times such as when Sen. Russell D. Feingold, Wisconsin Democrat, accused Republicans of conducting a "filibuster by professed confusion" by repeatedly asking him to explain his proposed amendment.
   One area Republicans on the committee were adamant about was the need to start detaining illegals crossing the border with Mexico who aren't from Mexico. Currently, many of those crossers are caught, processed and released with the understanding that they will show up for an administrative hearing at some future date. In most cases, however, they never show.
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat, worried that detaining them all would be unworkable given the shortage of detention facilities.
   "Well, they're going to need to find the additional facilities," replied Sen. Jeff Sessions, Alabama Republican. "Otherwise the system is a mockery, it's a joke, it's not a legal system at all."
   It was a point, Mr. Sessions and other Republicans agreed, that the Bush administration has been slow to realize.
   "It cannot be allowed to continue, which I think the administration has finally come to recognize," Mr. Sessions said.
   Sen. John Cornyn, Texas Republican and usually a loyal Bush ally, agreed with Mr. Sessions.
   "I'm a little bit puzzled by the administration's embracing of this because, frankly, the president's budget does not deal realistically with" the lack of facilities, Mr. Cornyn said. "The president's budget only provides ... 27,500 beds in fiscal year 2007. So the numbers don't line up very well."
   At that, Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, the Massachusetts Democrat who often assails Mr. Bush for cutting taxes during a time of deficit spending, groaned at Mr. Cornyn and said sarcastically, "Picky, picky."
  Democrats also continued their impassioned opposition to making it a felony to be an illegal alien. Mrs. Feinstein said it opens the illegals to blackmail and a host of other underworld threats.
   At one point, Mr. Specter stopped Sen. Richard J. Durbin, Illinois Democrat, to ask: "Is there any doubt that when they're in the country illegally -- having entered illegally or overstayed their visa -- that they're in violation of the law?"
   "Well, no," Mr. Durbin said. "There's no doubt about it."
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Needs more guard towers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Democrats also continued their impassioned opposition to making it a felony to be an illegal alien.

Should read: Democrats Republicans also continued their impassioned opposition right to making it a felony to be an illegal alien.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuck the guest worker program Goddamn GOP In not gonna vote D but they are sure gonna loose a elction worker in me I am seriouslly pissed with my party and their sqaundering of  the oppurtunity  of both houses and the Prez
Quit pandering to the other side they will always hate you and you are pissing off your base and they may not vote against you but they may not vote and the result is the same

06 elections are coming up buy your shit now cause GW is not gonna veto any bullshit that hits his desk
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Democrats also continued their impassioned opposition to making it a felony to be an illegal alien.

Should read: Democrats Republicans also continued their impassioned opposition right duty to making it a felony to be an illegal alien.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
A wall or fence is a waste of money.  Who will man it?  Minefeilds require maintainence.  You cannot ahve a 2000 mile bombing/artillery range either no can you keep it active 24/7.  How about we just make legal immigration faster and more rewarding than illegal and reform INS, that would make fucking sense!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Step one: build a fence\Militarize the border
Step two: deport the illegals\let them fix their own country
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The only way to fix the border is to annex Mexico clear to the panama canal, a border we can defend.

Too much corruption in Mexico to fix it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A wall or fence is a waste of money.  Who will man it?  Minefeilds require maintainence.  You cannot ahve a 2000 mile bombing/artillery range either no can you keep it active 24/7.  How about we just make legal immigration faster and more rewarding than illegal and reform INS, that would make fucking sense!

Legal immigrants I work with would be the first to volunteer; say 8 hours a year manual labor or $100/year to maintain the effort?  Would you?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only way to fix the border is to annex Mexico clear to the panama canal, a border we can defend.

Too much corruption in Mexico to fix it.

Everyone keeps saying what hard workers the mexicans are
We already give them MILLIONS of aid every year, maybe we are just giving it to the wrong people
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Legal immigrants I work with would be the first to volunteer; say 8 hours a year manual labor or $100/year to maintain the effort?  Would you?

I live in Louisiana can we do a one-for-one trade with some of the chronicly unemployed state dependents here for latinos.  Ironic maybe but every latino I have ever worked with is a hell of a worker, though it may have been an ethnic stereotype Vicente Fox was right.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Louisiana can we do a one-for-one trade with some of the chronicly unemployed state dependents here for latinos.  Ironic maybe but every latino I have ever worked with is a hell of a worker, though it may have been an ethnic stereotype Vicente Fox was right.

If I could pick and choose a hard worker for lassez-fair; sure. However, by default we are comparing someone who chooses to break the law, and violate our sovereignty versus someone who chooses to live down to their potential.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I could pick and choose a hard worker for lassez-fair; sure. However, by default we are comparing someone who chooses to break the law, and violate our sovereignty versus someone who chooses to live down to their potential.

I am getting so tired of hearing what great workers the illegals and hispanics are
They are people just like you and me, some are hard workers and some are thieves
I have personally worked with some hispanics that YOU WOULD FIRE ON THE SPOT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quit pandering to the other side-Now that hit the nail on the head. Bush seems to think that somehow by appeasing the leftist they are gonna somehow like him. When in the fuck is he gonna learn they will always hate him. Hell he has pissed off the people that put him into office and power. The left sees pandering as a form of weakness. I get more pissed the more I think about the opportunities squandered by this GOP minority. I will not vote Democrat but the GOP better wake the hell up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top