Posted: 3/11/2006 9:27:15 PM EDT
It's gonna rain today - honest
Forecasters swear dry streak is history
John Faherty
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 11, 2006 12:00 AM
www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0311RainFinally0311.html
It had to happen eventually.

Today, after 143 days of record-setting dryness, rain will come to the Valley of the Sun.

Not one of those "did that count?" types of rain but a legitimate all-day soaking. advertisement  

The National Weather Service is forecasting the rain with absolute certainty.

"Take it to the bank, it is going to rain," said Tony Haffer, National Weather Service chief meteorologist in Phoenix.

A high-pressure system sitting over the Valley is finally moving out, allowing a steady but mostly light rain much of the day.

The metropolitan area should see one-half to three-quarters of an inch of accumulation. Some mountain areas in the state could receive a foot of snow, according to the Weather Service.

"For rain fans, it's going to be a nearly perfect day," Haffer said, "and it's going to be statewide."

The news of rain Friday was difficult for some to believe but was welcomed.

"Really?" asked Sylvia Silva, 31, of Phoenix. "Oh, I can't wait. Especially since it's on the weekend and you don't have to do anything. I'll stay inside and watch movies all day."

The last measurable rain at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, the Valley's official site, was Oct. 18. And the last time the Valley had this kind of significant precipitation was Aug. 2, when 0.59 of an inch fell.

Jill Sotelo has lived in Phoenix since 1951 and said she is ready for the skies to open up.

"That will be fine by me," Sotelo said over lunch in a south Phoenix restaurant. "It's been so long. I may stand out in the rain and just enjoy it."

Although the rain will be enjoyed by many, it does make you question the luck of the Irish.

After nearly four months of clear skies, which included 20 consecutive Saturdays of perfect weather, the St. Patrick's Day Parade and Faire is set for today at Margaret T. Hance Park in Phoenix.

"We have the parade and the fair, come rain or shine," said Mary Moriarty, co-chairwoman of the event. "It will be a nice soft day. That's what they call it in Ireland. And maybe it will feel more like Ireland."

Also under the weather today will be the 2006 Chandler Ostrich Festival.

"Isn't that just typical," said Fran Stewart, a volunteer with the Chandler Chamber of Commerce. "The festival takes place, rain or shine. The ostriches love the rain."

Really?

"Oh, I don't know," Stewart said with a laugh. "But I presume so."
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Az resident here!!

Its great! It started raining about 4 am here and woke me up. I was like WTF is that sound!?

Its been raining all day!!!!

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
you can have some of the rain we had over the summer....

would you like Katrina, Rita, or Wilma?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top