Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 6:40:10 PM EDT
I need new tires for my Isuzu Trooper. As part of my upgrades to the rig (in preparation for off-road and SHTF use) I'll be getting these babies:

BF Goodrich

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to buy  tires online? I found the place above, which is $50 plus tax less expensive than the local tire shop, so I'm thinking online will be the way to go.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
sams has those though, might be cheaper, I have those on our jeep.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Tire Rack

+1
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The Tire Rack

They've got good prices, fast shipping, excellent customer service and will ship directly to a tire install shop in your area.....

ETA: Beaten to the punch x2. Damn I'm getting slow in my old age....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
don't forget tires are HEAVY, so before you go buying them online, make sure you're still comming out ahead after shipping
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
sams has those though, might be cheaper, I have those on our jeep.

No kiddin'?

I didn't think Sam's would have them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If I were you I would try getting some Toyo open countrys/ mud terrains or Nitto Terra Grapplers... Super heavy duty (all 8 to 10 ply sidewalls) D and E laod ratings which is even heavy duty enough for even extreme towing on dually style trucks. You can find them for around the $200 mark in that size, maybee less.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
don't forget tires are HEAVY, so before you go buying them online, make sure you're still comming out ahead after shipping

The site above has free shipping.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have put Bridgstone Desert Dueller APT II's on my past two Isuzu Troopers, couldn't be happier with them. Bought them from Costco for a great price that includes road hazard and lifetime balance and rotation.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I would skip sam's - I've heard too many horror stories from friends and familys about screwing up installation, stripping nuts, not fastening nuts, etc.

Tirerack has a lot of fans, and probably for good reason. I didn't buy there but the review section helped me make my pick.

I found a regional chain that does ONLY tires. Nothing else- no alignments, break jobs, oil changes, etc. All th ey do is install tires, mainly for fleets. They ordered up the tires and installed them for less than the cost of just the tires at tirerack.com.

I'd look around in your area for a place like that - someone that just does tires only - especially if they're regional. That means they're moving a lot of tires and can probably get you a kick ass price on the set you're looking for.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The site above has free shipping.

then that IS a good deal!  usually they try to screw you with the "shipping isn't my problem" bullshit
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
don't forget to add removing old tires,mounting and balancing new tires after you get them if you order offline.

unless you are buying rims also
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
You want to look for a high tread wear count.  Preferably in the 500 range.
My truck tires have a 500 count (equates to long wear life).  Look at the Michelin LTX M/S's for your Trooper.  I have them on a Toy Tacoma Crew and the ride is nice.  Not sure about online tires.

editted for spelling
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to Wal-Mart, they can get your tires you want for a good price. Also, look in to BFG Land Terrains, they are a good tire. I was looking for a set of tires for my Jimmy that would wear well and do me some good in the mud and snow. I bought a set of Uniroyal Liberators on a whim, and they have been the best tires I have ever had, including my BFGs. They are a 60k mile tire, are tow rated, and have given me nothing but smiles when it comes to bad weather, snow, and mud. They were a wallet pounding 65 bucks a piece. I think installation, warranty, etc. was about 285 bucks total. That includes free flat fix and replacement for the life of the tire.

As for the Wal-Mart and Sam's horror stories, watch them put your tires on. The guys that did mine did a great job, possibly because I was standing there watching them. As for loose lug nuts, I don't care where you get your tires put on, if you don't check your own lug nuts after they are done, you are nuts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.discounttiredirect.com

Try these guys.

Yeah, DON'T.

Discount Tire Direct sent me a threatening email when I put some wheels up on eBay that I had bought from them a couple of years ago. I merely put a link to their web page in my post.

I have spent over $5000 in wheels and tires with those shitbirds and am not used to getting threatened by people I have given a pile of cash to.

Bought my tires from TireRack, and haven't looked back yet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.discounttiredirect.com

Try these guys.

That was my link above.

E-mail horror stories aside, they come in almost $100 below Tire Rack.

That said, imagine my surprise when I saw the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo reviewed so much better than the BFG. Too bad DTD doesn't carry them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#18]
You know if you go straight to a Firestone location you
can get Bridgestone or Firestone tires for less than anywhere else.
Why is that you ask. Because they will match or sell for
less than anyone else.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#19]
A buddy of mine has the Duellers on an identical truck. His is a Blazer instead of Jimmy. We got them within one day of eachother, so his had about 30 miles more wear on them than mine. That evening it snowed, so we decided to put them through the 4x4 test. We went through a creek, snow drifts, muddy slop, and up a 30 yard steep hill. We were basically neck and neck until the snow, he spun out pretty bad. Could have been his driving though. I love 4wd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top