Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2001 5:16:30 PM EDT
Hey, I was talking with a co-worker today and we were talking about beer and seefaring peoples who enjoyed it, such as the pilgrims, and the vikings.

He contended that they actually brewed the beer on board the ship while at sea, while I argued that they took it along with them.

I've brewed a few batches of beer myself, though nothing to brag about, and it seems to me that being on a boat in the middle of the ocean wouldn't be very conducive to brewing beer.

Your thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know a lot about brewing beer, but I do know that where there's a will there's a way. I would also be willing to bet that a ship full of guys out in the middle of the ocean would be pretty willing to at least try and brew a little barley and hops.

Then again, maybe they did take it with them. Where else would all of that "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" stuff come from? They probably had more important stuff to do than make beer anyways.

Michael
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya, that's kind of what I thought. I mean, at sea you wouldn't be able to keep your wort at a constant temp. And it also seems that in the confines of a ship, just the production process for a large ship would take up alot of manpower and space. At least alot more than just storing it on board.

He even brought up the pilgrims stopping to brew, which I thought made my point, but tried to say that they ran out of ingredients for brewing. Didn't make much sense  me.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Don't be suprised if you see me seeking brewing advice again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It is my understanding that civilization as we know it occurred because of beer.  A long time ago, people were nomadic and travelled great distances.  Eventually, they would come across a very small village that had some supplies but also brewed a beer like drink.  Overtime, the nomads decided to stop travelling and settled down in or near these supply type brewery villages and larger more permanent villages sprouted.  And here we are.

I don't know the exact time periods involved but it must be true cuz I read it in an airlines magazine while I was enjoying a brew myself.  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just looked this up. The best info i found says it was brewed on land. For example Indian Pale ales were specifically designed as a high alchohol beer for travel. It was developed for the english so they could send quality beer overseas for the military. The high alcohol level acted as a preservative for long travel in warm conditions. I would venture a guess that anything brewed at sea in the hot humid decks of a ship would be some REALLY skanky brew. I would also think it would be VERY hard to brew in a large enough quantity aboard ship.
View Quote

Ooooh...Ooooh...Mr. Kotter!  I think I can add to this.

India Pale Ale is not only above average in alcohol content, but it is also very hoppy.  The Brits added the extra hops because hops have a natural anti-bacterial property, thus protecting the brew for long voyages.

Ironically, I think I got that info from the NCJH!

Mike, did ya ever cook up that recipie that I sent you?
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i haven't yet. The really bad part is i'm out of brew and have 2 kits waiting to go. Been working 55+ hour weeks for the last month and haven't had time to brew. But that recipe looks great. It's gonna be on the top of my list to try.

Yep thats where you got the info. I just didn't want to retype that whole book :>

mike
View Quote

Let me know how it turns out.  I'm interested to find out if you'll like it.

I'm getting my 5gal stainless cooking pot out next week and gonna cook me up some autumn brew.  Don't know what yet, but you gave me the fever to get back into it.

"Relax, have a homebrew"

Michigander in Maryland
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top