Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 12:44:44 PM EDT
I need a new laptop, my current one is starting to crap out after 3 years.  I need to get one in the next day or two.  I live in a small town with few choices, but the local Office Depot has some Sony VAIO systems and several Toshiba models (as well as Compaq, HP's, and Gateways).  Is either one OK?   I am a newbie in this area.  Mostly for internet and research use, little to no game playing.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Vaios are my favorite laptop. A little more expensive (unless you get a deal) but they're generally more rugged with better quality components and a better design.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my Vaio
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
my roomie is very happy with his vaio.  it's really thin and light, especially for the screen size.  

toshiba are not bad either, but are usually bulkier
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Gateway or Toshiba.

But if you get a GW, order one from their site with the features you want.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got and turned on for the 1st time today a new SONY VIAO FS745P/H

17" monitor XP office proffesional installed , Symantex firewall, and a Viao web cam that mounts to the screen.

Love it

This one replaces an older model VIAO that I gave to my daughter for college.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had two loaner laptops in the last month (long story) one of them was a Toshiba and the latest one that I'm currently using is a Sony Vaio.  

I own a Gateway and was completely happy with it until I used this Vaio, this thing ROCKS!!  If I were in the market for a new laptop, a Vaio is what it would be.

About the Toshiba, I didn't like it at all, would never consider buying one after using the one that I did for 3 weeks

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Love my Tosh widescreen, it is almost the same dimensions as an aircraft carrier though....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Toshiba laptop have had it for over a year has taken a bit of abuse its my work laptop so it gets lugged around and tossed around  a bit holding up pretty good no complaints about it,  originally I wanted a Sony cause they were alot more compact, ended up with Toshiba though cause it had a total of $400 worth of mail in rebates 1299 originally, sony was like $15-1600 with no rebates Everyone I know with the Sony is happy, so either one I dont think you can go wrong. I got the P4 3ghz processor and sucks up battery power fairly quickly(90 minutes worth of battery power or so) thats my only gripe.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Love my Tosh widescreen, it is almost the same dimensions as an aircraft carrier though....

Yeah wish mine was more compact but the widescreen is great when I watch DVD's at work
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I need a new laptop, my current one is starting to crap out after 3 years.  I need to get one in the next day or two.  I live in a small town with few choices, but the local Office Depot has some Sony VAIO systems and several Toshiba models (as well as Compaq, HP's, and Gateways).  Is either one OK?   I am a newbie in this area.  Mostly for internet and research use, little to no game playing.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

I love my Vaio!  I bought it a couple months back and dont regret it.  They have some of the best screens out there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd go Toshiba over Sony.  The Vaio laptops tend to be overpriced from what I've seen.  I've had a Compaq and Toshiba, the Toshiba worked flawlessly... until my friend spilled beer on it, I had to replace the keyboard, something like $50.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been using a Sotec branded notebook I bought at Office Depot about 3 years ago.  It's very light weight, however the batter is now toast.  Fire it up and watch it shut right down... or die!

Because I travel for a living, I use my laptop to view DVD's on.  My next one will have a larger screen instead of smaller (right now, 12" screen, 4lbs with battery).

Let us know what you got!  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Why do you hate America?

Why aren't you buying an American laptop instead of supporting the export of high tech jobs to other parts of the world?

But more importantly ....where are the usual 'buy American' crowd that typically chimes in when this is about cars and trucks?

But although I bought a Thinkpad, between the two choices you have I'd get a Sony.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a toshiba 17 inch screen laptop, and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a lower end Toshiba Satellite. I use it for internet and some office programs, no gaming,  I have been very happy with it
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Tosibia, or Gateway
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#18]
ANUS laptops.

All repairs can be carried out with the Hammaer of Dead.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why do you hate America?

Why aren't you buying an American laptop instead of supporting the export of high tech jobs to other parts of the world?

But more importantly ....where are the usual 'buy American' crowd that typically chimes in when this is about cars and trucks?

But although I bought a Thinkpad, between the two choices you have I'd get a Sony.

We don't make laptops in Good ol USA anymore as far as I know.

As to Sony - there factory O/S load includes ALOT of extra GARBAGE.

Also GOD help you if ou have issues after the warranty is up - my friend is manager of a repair dept for a computer store - Sony's are the worst to work on... followed by HP.  IBM has worst BIOS

GTW and Compaq are the easy ones.

Dell - varies radically with model - corporate models are much better than consumer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Why do you hate America?

Sorry pal, if you buy a Thinkpad, you're not buying it from IBM.  Lenovo (a Chinese company) bought IBM's laptop division a while back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Toshiba

They load a bunch of extra crap on the Sonys that I have to clean off.  The Toshibas I've used seem to be pretty good right out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#22]
IBM
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#23]
get a milspec itronix... or a panasonic toughbook..

or for your everyday stuff, dell seems to deliver the most bang for the buck. inspiron.

suprised at all the vaio stuff. vaio if you never want to install any third part software. sony has a rep for being very picky about what will run on them..

ibms are good too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah wish mine was more compact but the widescreen is great when I watch DVD's at work

Yea I know what ya mean
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I have (had) a GW 450SX. It was great for the 13 months it lasted.  GW wanted $500 to return it and have a new screen and cable installed.  It broke at work and they would not fix it.  After 4 months of not being able to do my work they found a grant and now I have a Panasonice Toughbook.  I have had it about 18 months.  I love it.  I still like the larger screen on my GW, but it is out of service right now.  

I have seen other K9 handlers with GW and Dell.  They seem to work out pretty good.  For the departments (or people) with great funding the Toughbook is common.  I have seen few Sonys due to price.  Not many Compaqs and Toshibas though.  

Mike
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I won't buy Sony products anymore because of their support for DRM.

I have a Toshiba laptop and I'm not all that happy with it.  Guys at work aren't all that happy with theirs either.

I love my wife's Dell Inspiron 6000, as well as our older Inspiron.  I'll be getting another Dell when this Toshiba needs to be replaced.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#27]
IBM = 3 year warranty unconditional. Nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#28]
FWIW....just remember that whatever brand you buy.....get an extended warranty.  Displays MB's, and batteries don't come cheap and neither is the repair work. I have had Sony, Tosh and now Gateway. I have had zero problems with the GW.  Sony had overheating problems - 3 times sent in for service with the last time having the display replaced due to lost pixels.  Tosh fan bearing howls like  a mofo on and off.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#29]
If you have any desire to run games on your laptop, do not get one with an Intel graphics processor.  I just returned a Toshiba laptop that I really liked, except the graphics were woeful.  Intel's processor just cannot push frames fast enough.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I own both the Vaio and the Qosmio. Vaio is my pic by far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top