Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 9:50:20 AM EDT
Ok My dog chewed up my door frame and the bad part is I rent this place and now the housing office is telling me that its going to cost me around $300 to get the door reframed. Now it does not look like its that hard to do or anything. What I'd like to know is there a frameing kit you can get or do you have to buy special parts at the harware store? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#1]
What part of the frame??? Is it just the moulding?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What part of the frame??? Is it just the moulding?

The whole thing I have to take all the wood out
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a razor knife and cut all the caulk used in the trim. The use a small pry bar and hammer to seperate the trim from the wall. After you do that remove the door frame. Go buy a new door unit and install, caulk and paint.  

Check DIY website I'm sure they have better instructions.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Use a razor knife and cut all the caulk used in the trim. The use a small pry bar and hammer to seperate the trim from the wall. After you do that remove the door frame. Go buy a new door unit and install, caulk and paint.  

Check DIY website I'm sure they have better instructions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless your dog ate all the wood, just get some wood filler or Bondo, a sanding block and sandpaper.  Fill and sand to match the existing wood and paint.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]
after you get the old frame out install the new one with some shims found at home depot.  Get it so the door opens and closes and look at the gap between the door and the frame to make sure its all even around the door.  Place shims overlapping going opposite directions and slide them together in the cracks until the frame is solid and you dont need to hold the door anymore.  Then put a screw in the hindge side one on the top and one on the bottom repeat until all the screws are on that side and the door opens and closes fine.  Then put a few finish nails thru the other side and your done with the framing part.  Put up the trim add a few finish nails, fill with wood filler and your all done.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget to level the hinge side of your frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top