Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 8:31:26 AM EDT
In comparison to other Vietnam (No Black Hawk Down!  Althought thats probably the most accuarte war flick of all time....) war flicks how does it stack up as far as the amount of fact/fiction in the the movie?

Full-Matal-Jacket (a film most here like) had the most accurate boot camp portrayal but, IMHO the movie went to shit afterwards.  Does "Hamburger Hill" come any closer to keeping it real throughout the film?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been a bit of a military history buff for the last 20 years and I found for not being there Hamburger Hill to be fairly spot on. The only thing that wasnt accurate but not the fault of the film makers was the friendly fire incident. The movie used Hueys and in reality it was Cobras that made the gun runs on the 101st guys. Aside from that they didn't do a bad job. My uncle is a veteran of 1st BN/1st Marine Regt. who served at Khe Sanh and he always said Hamburger Hill and We Were Soldiers were the best of the Vietnam films. I think Blackhawk Down was done well but they had to do some major changes for the movie to even flow and make sense. As far as war movies go, I'll forgive alot of things as long as I don't see baynote lugs on an M-1 Carbine in WW2.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've been a bit of a military history buff for the last 20 years and I found for not being there Hamburger Hill to be fairly spot on. The only thing that wasnt accurate but not the fault of the film makers was the friendly fire incident. The movie used Hueys and in reality it was Cobras that made the gun runs on the 101st guys. Aside from that they didn't do a bad job. My uncle is a veteran of 1st BN/1st Marine Regt. who served at Khe Sanh and he always said Hamburger Hill and We Were Soldiers were the best of the Vietnam films. I think Blackhawk Down was done well but they had to do some major changes for the movie to even flow and make sense. As far as war movies go, I'll forgive alot of things as long as I don't see baynote lugs on an M-1 Carbine in WW2.

Or Beretta's in WWII
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm don't follow the military stuff in Vietnam etc too closely, but knowing Hollywood, there is a certain amount of "ceative license" for the silver screen.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, my mother lost two cousins (I guess that would make them second uncles to me?) on the same day at Ap Bia. That's real enough. Don't know about the movie

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a buddy that was there and for what it's worth he says the movie is spot on.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
FWIW, my mother lost two cousins (I guess that would make them second uncles to me?) on the same day at Ap Bia. That's real enough. Don't know about the movie

Talk about a bad day.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine served four tours in Vietnam, and while he was never at Hamburger hill AFAIK, he claims that "Hamburger Hill" is the most realistic 'Nam movie he's seen.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A friend of mine served four tours in Vietnam, and while he was never at Hamburger hill AFAIK, he claims that "Hamburger Hill" is the most realistic 'Nam movie he's seen.

+1 A friend of mine is a SF vet who said it's one of the most accurate films about Vietnam.  Which is depressing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 A friend of mine is a SF vet who said it's one of the most accurate films about Vietnam.  Which is depressing.

+1  Those men didn't die in vain (not saying you said they did, I'm just saying).  No matter how pointless the war was at times it was always about the guys next to you and any victory you secure no matter how small is a great achievment.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  Those men didn't die in vain (not saying you said they did, I'm just saying).  No matter how pointless the war was at times it was always about the guys next to you and any victory you secure no matter how small is a great achievment.

I meant it was depressing because almost everyone was dead or wounded at the end.  As my friend who was in SF said, "yeah, a lot like in Vietnam".

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
FWIW, my mother lost two cousins (I guess that would make them second uncles to me?)

No, your mother's cousins are also your cousins.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top