Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:41:50 PM EDT
Someone's going down!

March 27, 8AM.

What do you think my chances are of actually being selected?

I got a funny feeling the prosecutor will want me more than the defense.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Someone's going down!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Mar. 14 for me.

Called about 4 times, never even got to voire dire.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Dammit!! I want jury duty!! Never had it and I want it!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mar. 14 for me.

Voire dire?

Wazzat?  You don't have to take your pants off to do that, do ya?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You lucky goldfish you
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm...I see by my summons that I'm selection #37.

That sucks.  I bet the first 36 are pussies.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Try not to smirk and make nooses too often.  It might be too much fun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I need to start my manifesto for them so they know where I stand on certain issues.

The following people qualify for the death penalty:

- Women who cut off penises
- Thieves
- Any child abuser
- Anyone who takes the last beer
- Hippies
- Stinky hippies
- Hollywood types
- Lawyers in general
- Some judges
- The people who invented Vienna Sausage
- Women who want to tell you about their period
- Shirtless men who appear on Cops
- Anyone who sporterizes a military firearm
- PBS employees

That's a pretty good start for now.  I'll have to keep working on it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you want to get selected, then dress like it matters, pay attention, and don't say anything stupid during the selection process.

If you don't, then don't. (However, be advised that you may have to out-slob/out-snooze/out-stupid a lot of other jury-dodgers.)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mar. 14 for me.

Voire dire?

The part of the trial where the lawyers question the jury pool to see who will be on the jury. They strike.. or weed out.. the ones they don't want and the ones that are left are on the jury.

The lawyers generally ask questions accoding to what type of trial it is. If it is a criminal trial, they will almost surely ask if anyone in the jury pool is related to a police officer, if anyone has been convicted of a crime or have a family member convicted, etc.

In Texas, this process takes a few minutes. In CA, it can take weeks or longer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
If you get selected....wait until well into the trial...after both sides have made their cases and you guys are deciding the outcome...FLIP THE FRICK OUT! Declare that the court should punish the guy/girl to the fullest of the law. Really lay it on. Don't settle for anything less than the death penalty even if it's a jaywalking case! You should should demand to read the verdict. Get all dramatic and jump on top of tables. You're only getting paid like $50 a day. Might as well enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you get selected....wait until well into the trial...after both sides have made their cases and you guys are deciding the outcome...FLIP THE FRICK OUT! Declare that the court should punish the guy/girl to the fullest of the law. Really lay it on. Don't settle for anything less than the death penalty even if it's a jaywalking case! You should should demand to read the verdict. Get all dramatic and jump on top of tables. You're only getting paid like $50 a day. Might as well enjoy yourself.

So, I shouldn't distribute my manifesto until we have started to deliberate?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I served two and a half weeks on a civil lawsuit jury.....both sides were pissed at us when we reached our verdict and made an award.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Called once,my name was not pulled out of the hat. I was sad.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I served two and a half weeks on a civil lawsuit jury.....both sides were pissed at us when we reached our verdict and made an award.

Cool.  I can do a civil lawsuit.

"Your honor.  We, the jury, find McDonalds guilty of providing a cup of hot coffee to Mrs Nimblefingers.  We're awarding her another cup of coffee so she can try and get it right this time."
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool.  I can do a civil lawsuit.

"Your honor.  We, the jury, find McDonalds guilty of providing a cup of hot coffee to Mrs Nimblefingers.  We're awarding her another cup of coffee so she can try and get it right this time."

Thats right, i still want 5 minutes alone with the fatass that made the fries tatse like shit because he clogged an artery.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Jury duty loses its novelty after you are selected 1-3 times a year, every year, since you turn 18.

Fuck jury duty.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Jury duty loses its novelty after you are selected 1-3 times a year, every year, since you turn 18.

Fuck jury duty.

I am 24 and have only been once, i was called twice but was out of state the first time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Fuck jury duty.

I'm retired and cranky.

I'm a perfect choice.

Therefore, I predict that I will be sent home.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]
 Just thought I'd ask ,but why in the hell do some of you actually want to do jury duty?  In my opinion it's either making me miss work or miss range time so I'll pass.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
 Just thought I'd ask ,but why in the hell do some of you actually want to do jury duty?  In my opinion it's either making me miss work or miss range time so I'll pass.

It's my chance to take out my pent-up agression against those who will appear before me hoping for justice.

Pretty cool, huh?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I've served on two juries.  Both were good experiences.  

Remember to bring reading material.  Waiting around till your pool gets called can take a while.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I wanna do it because whatever they pay jurors is way more than I get now.

But then I'm 18, so I guess they probably won't call me until I either have a steady job with a good salary or a really important exam.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Before you go to jury duty, I suggest you learn/know your rights as a juror.  Google "jury nullification" , read the stuff and please learn it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Fuck jury duty.

I'm 33 and have never been summoned for jury duty.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Before you go to jury duty, I suggest you learn/know your rights as a juror.  Google "jury nullification" , read the stuff and please learn it.

And don't let either side know that you know about it, well, that is if you actually want to sit on the jury.  Judges also tend to frown upon jury nullification, they seem to think that only they are wise enough to interpret and apply the law.  All of us peons must simply bend to their will.  I really want to be a judge someday

Crap.  My dad's a cop.  Guess I'll never be a juror.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I must be doing something wrong’ I’ve NEVER been called for Jury Duty.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck jury duty.

Are you a felon
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I've served on 5 juries.  Most of them were shoplifting types.  I sat one jury where we put away a crack cocaine dealer for life, it was his 3rd strike felony, distribution of crack cocaine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's my chance to take out my pent-up agression against those who will appear before me hoping for justice.

Pretty cool, huh?

You have a good point , now that I think about it I wouldn't mind serving depending on the charges of the accused.  I'd love to be on the jury of a child molestation case or spouse abuse, he or she would be screwed.

Achilleas
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Ive been on jury duty, and would do it again.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck jury duty.

Are you a felon

Active duty AF for the past 11 years.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Just thought I'd ask ,but why in the hell do some of you actually want to do jury duty?

It can be fascinating. Basically, both legal teams are playing to your heart and mind - Almost everything they say and do is designed to influence you in their favor. You have to ignore this, and concentrate on the facts.

Later, during deliberations, you may be considering details that weren't discussed during the trail - What obvious questions weren't asked, and why they weren't asked. Sometimes, what is presented during a trial isn't nearly as interesting as what gets excluded, due to pre-trial legal maneuverings. If you're lucky, the prosecution and/or defense will reveal these details after the trial is over.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want to get selected, then dress like it matters, pay attention, and don't say anything stupid during the selection process.

If you don't, then don't. (However, be advised that you may have to out-slob/out-snooze/out-stupid a lot of other jury-dodgers.)

I was asked by defense what I would do if there was a tie.

I said there is no tie. The prosecutor proves his case and the bad guy stays with the judge, he doesnt and he leaves there with us.

Im kinda glad the prosecutor threw me out. Honestly I wanted to throttle the accused.

Repeat child rape from age 10-12. Witnesses were 4 family members and 2 Forensic something or anothers. I had heard enough and started seeing red, literally. I was having flashes of me chocking the guy to death right there.

They both chose to seat a really weak minded jury. 85 yr olds wee their favorites. Few questions, hell they wanted to leave and were denied. Youngers were excused for any reason. The old school teacher chick was begging to leave, paying zero attention and still they made her stay

That prosecutor fucked up, I could have sold the death penalty on that one.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I got a summons for jury duty several times but always get disqualified because of my profession.

It wouldnt be bad sitting on a 2 or 3 day trial.  It would suck to get stuck on a several motnh case like the Haidl, Peterson, Jackson or Simpson trial and lose your house because your making $8.00 a day.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I got a summons for jury duty several times but always get disqualified because of my profession.

It wouldnt be bad sitting on a 2 or 3 day trial.  It would suck to get stuck on a several motnh case like the Haidl, Peterson, Jackson or Simpson trial and lose your house because your making $8.00 a day.

Nice thng about my union job. I turn in that $10 a day and get paid full wages.

It helps me be a good citizen and do my best for my Country.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was asked by defense what I would do if there was a tie.

I said there is no tie. The prosecutor proves his case and the bad guy stays with the judge, he doesnt and he leaves there with us.

Im kinda glad the prosecutor threw me out. Honestly I wanted to throttle the accused.

Repeat child rape from age 10-12. Witnesses were 4 family members and 2 Forensic something or anothers. I had heard enough and started seeing red, literally. I was having flashes of me chocking the guy to death right there.

They both chose to seat a really weak minded jury. 85 yr olds wee their favorites. Few questions, hell they wanted to leave and were denied. Youngers were excused for any reason. The old school teacher chick was begging to leave, paying zero attention and still they made her stay

That prosecutor fucked up, I could have sold the death penalty on that one.

And you decided all of this - including the 'bad guy' reference - even before the trial got started?

Sounds to me like a great example of the system working.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Voire dire?

Basically it is Latin for "To speak the truth"
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Someone's going down!

March 27, 8AM.

I got summoned for Jury Duty later this month, too...

I had a good laugh & sent them a copy of my orders to Korea.... Sorry guys, the Army got me first...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I was juror number 101. The whole week I called and they only had jury trials on Wednesday.  They picked numbers 1-57.  I said the exact same thing though.  Someone was going to pay, even if it meant staying in a hotel room for weeks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I got a letter in the mail for jury duty just the other day.  Said I had 10 days to respond or face contempt of court charges.  Not very nice.  Anywho...i'll show up and do my duty.  Never been before...so this will be interesting.  I hope the case is an interesting one.

I probably won't make it through the selection process.  I'm related to several police officers, and was arrested once before even though the charges were dropped.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:18:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I got a summons for Jury duty about 10 or 12 years ago. When I showed for court on Monday, I noticed the judge and 7 or 8 lawyers standing around shootin the bull, I walked up...waited for a good lull..... and said excuse me gentelmen, can someone tell me where I need to be ? And then showed them my summons and about 35 subpoena's ( I wuz an investigator at thu time ). They did make a few notes....but deceided to excuse me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:22:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Someone's going down!

March 27, 8AM.

I have a feeling that even if you get into the jury pool, they'll still be sending you home.  Enjoy your day off!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty cool, huh?

No, not really.  You're not understanding what jury duty is about.  You WILL be sent home, I hope pray.  Doesn't sound like you are capable of being a competent juror.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:15:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I was on a jury once, 16 years ago. Found the guy not guilty. I haven't had to go in for jury duty since.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:39:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:45:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Remember, if he wasnt guilty the police wouldnt have arrested him.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Remember, if he wasnt guilty the police wouldnt have arrested him.

You know, that really should be a verse in the Bible somewhere.......perferably in Genesis maybe put it in pretty red letters.....that'd make me smile.

Then again, it'd make a helluva sig line too ! ! !
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#49]
If you've never seen it, rent '12 angry men', a classic film about juries and the deliberation process.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:06:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck jury duty.

I am 24 and have only been once, i was called twice but was out of state the first time.

I am 33 and Have been called once.  While I was at BCT.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top