Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 3:31:17 PM EDT
Ok, I know I should have listened to everyone about using (or trying to use) UPS to ship firearm parts but I guess I had a moment.

I talk to Customer Service at Bushmaster about returning my upper because of the indexing issue (rear sight has to be adjusted all the way left for zero).  They are totally cool and tell me to ship the upper back via UPS w/insurance.

So I get it packed up and head down to "The UPS Store" to drop it off; so far so good.  I fill out the paperwork and hand it and the box w/the upper to the clerk.  First he asks me what's in the box; I reply and tell him it's a rifle upper half.  He seems to be ok with it until he sees the declared value I put down.  He say he'll have to call UPS to verify it's OK.  Comes back and tells me that because I want to insure it they can't take it there and that I have to take it to the main depot (45 min away).  I said no thanks I'll go to FedEx @ Kinko's.  He gets pissed and says as I'm walking out the door "I used to work there; they won't take it either!"  

So I decide to take the chance and go over to Kinko's.  Guess what?  They have no problem shipping it but ask me to open the box so that they can confirm that it is adequately packed (due to the declared cost).  Bingo-bango, five minutes later it's on it's way back to Bushmaster.

I knew there was a reason I didn't use UPS......

M590man
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
There are many reasons I don't use UPS.

There is one big reason I don't use a 'ups store' - they jack up the price on regular shipping to go through their store.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

There is one big reason I don't use a 'ups store' - they jack up the price on regular shipping to go through their store.

You mean they don't charge you the exact amount that UPS charges a client that doesn't go through a middleman?  Oh boo frickin hoo.  UPS runs those stores as a convenience to non-business clients.  To do this they need to pay employees to run the joint and to pay the lease on the storefront.  EVERYBODY does this.  You think it costs $10 to ship a ram chip UPS or FEDEX ground?

If you don't like it curcumvent the who ado and set up a UPS account and have them pick up the package at your home.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean they don't charge you the exact amount that UPS charges a client that doesn't go through a middleman?  Oh boo frickin hoo.  UPS runs those stores as a convenience to non-business clients.  To do this they need to pay employees to run the joint and to pay the lease on the storefront.  EVERYBODY does this.  You think it costs $10 to ship a ram chip UPS or FEDEX ground?

If you don't like it curcumvent the who ado and set up a UPS account and have them pick up the package at your home.

Did I say I was crying about it? Nope - just that they charge extra for their 'service' when their service doesn't really amount to jack squat.

Thanks for your sage advice, but I think I'll do what I've done for years - drop off the packages directly at a ups or fedex location where I don't pay extra for some goober to give me bad information take longer than it does at a main location to ship my stuff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Why didn't you just tell them it was a machine part ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I said no thanks I'll go to FedEx @ Kinko's.  He gets pissed and says as I'm walking out the door "I used to work there; they won't take it either!"  

I would've taken the FedEx receipt back to him & told him what a jackass he is, then I would've called his supervisor & told THEM what a jackass he is.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You can bypass all the bullshit by just using UPS.com and printing out your label and handing the package to any UPS driver.  Its how I do it, no problems, no mess.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You can bypass all the bullshit by just using UPS.com and printing out your label and handing the package to any UPS driver.  Its how I do it, no problems, no mess.

Bill3508

Dont they add a 5.00 charge if you are not a regular stop?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Not in my experience, the drivers are typically a lot more reasonable to deal with than any other UPS employees.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in my experience, the drivers are typically a lot more reasonable to deal with than any other UPS employees.

If you just hand the package to a Driver there is no charge.............I am one of these.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nope, they just scan it and its on the way.  

Bill3508
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top