Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 11:04:24 AM EDT
I have seen a few members, mainly ones with 10k+ post counts, no longer with avatars.

Was wondering what the reason was.

1.) Low funds?
2.) Haven't gotten to it/didn't notice it?
3.) Or is it something a little more like feelings about the current state of the site (whatever you feel that might be)? If it's this reason I'm also curious why you don't want to continue supporting the site but continue to post on the site as opposed to finding a new site to post on.

poll coming for those that are scared to fess up if its choice 3.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTP

DAMN
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm down to litterally under $100 in my bank account and still going to interviews hoping to God somebody will hire me.  Sub ran out last month and $12 seems like an aweful big percentage of my net worth at the moment.

I really miss 'My Active Topics' the search and archives and hate being relegated to the faceless masses who do not have an avatar.  Really, without an avatar you might say something worthwhile...but it's not attributed to anybody specific because you are just plain not specific.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#3]
IBTL
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to let mine run out this year ... but only because I've decided to start rotating accounts.

New account name every time my team membership expires.

This will make it harder for the federales to keep track of me.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IBTL

why IBTL?  it's a legitimate question
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine ran out, and I didn't renew for almost a year.  Money was tight for a while, but it's better now.  I missed the My Active Topics button and my avatar.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't let mine runout because I like have the ar15.com email address and photoserver. I know that I can get those things for free, but with the email.. I don't want to have to set up new IDs. I use my AR15 email account specfically for firearms related stuff like purchases.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, after my most recent EE transaction, I'll never do business with a non-team member again.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine ran out.  My bad, basically, I wasn't paying attention.

So, went to the 'join the team' section, followed the instructions using paypal (I know, I know).  After several weeks with no upgrade, I checked the join the team' section again, where they posted 'no more paypal'.

Ok, no biggie.  So I sent a check.  Weeks ago.  Still no upgrade.

None of this is a bitch session, just a reason you might be seeing several whose team memberships have dropped, even though they're TRYING to be a team member.

I started trying to re-up in December.  Here it is March.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
 Really, without an avatar you might say something worthwhile...but it's not attributed to anybody specific because you are just plain not specific.

I like it that way.

I don't have this desire to make my mark on the internet, I'd rather do shit like that in real life.

Keeping my "can't see shit" x for my avitar.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine actually expired at the end of Jan, but didn't lose Team benefits until a few days ago. My fault, I'm a big time procrastinator (I mailed a check in a little over a week ago). Sucks not having the search function or "my active topics" available.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
5 poll options don't work.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm going to let mine run out this year ... but only because I've decided to start rotating accounts.

New account name every time my team membership expires.

This will make it harder for the federales to keep track of me.

But what about your precious post count?

Dude .... I'm ashamed of that.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll probably let mine run out just from being lazy (as is my nature).  Then after awhile I'll sign back up.  No big deal to me either way.  

It used to be I'd support the site what little I could because this place was a time and money pit for the Avila's.   Hopefully now with enough Industry money and advertising it's not (hopefully it's profitable enough to pay for their time plus some!).  Though I still like to do what I can and kick in a few bucks for the fun of participating.

Where else can I be a cynical smartass and yet be considered one of the more PC members.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]

oh nevermind...wouldn't do any good anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I got burned out on the site about 18 months or so ago and just let it lapse.  Lately, however, I find myself lurking around more and more often, and might have to re-up just so I can get back to my old habit of completely avoiding GD and only hanging in the Team forum.  Since money's pretty tight right now, it's not an option at present.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I like to go to the team forum and read what paying members say about non-team members.

Team member 1: "I think so-and-so is a troll."
Team member 2: "Yeah. Ha ha ha..."

I've had my membership less than a year. Got it by joining the NRA. I'd join again.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#19]
How do you know when its about to run out?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

click edit profile button

look for expiration date
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

look for expiration date

Never knew that. I run out on the 22nd. Checks going right out in the mail. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#22]
When mine ran out, money was tight.  Then I started getting "freeloader" comments.

Someone was nice enough to cover it for me - greatly appreciated.  I didn't ask, he just did it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I let mine expire because of what was going on in the survival thread.

Even polite criticism or disagreement with a moderator or AR15.com policy regarding the MH group buys was enough to get a thread trashed.  Sorry, not the environment I want to support with my money, and I was a gold member.  It's not much, but it's $65 the Avilas won't see again.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

look for expiration date

Never knew that. I run out on the 22nd. Checks going right out in the mail. Thanks.

You can also pay with credit card now by hitting the ar15 store link.

http://store.ar15.com/
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#25]
So long as things don't completely fall apart either from too much trolling or my finances fall through I'll maintain my membership.

I've learned a ton here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Every post should have at least one redeeming quality to it.

Therefore, I really need my avatar.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Members that let your membership run out...

I am not allowed to renew my membership, by orders of the ball-n-chain!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#28]
just noticed it ran out, just sent funds to renew
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#29]
wow ove3r a hundred votes i didnt know that so meany pwople quit
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Fubar'd.

It just sneaked up on me.

I'm at sea now, but when I get off, check's going out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I just started a new business last year, money got real tight!!  BUT as soon as I have the money, I will re-up because this site has so much to offer in valuable technical information, and great advice!! (especially the get both)  

I lurked here for some time reading and learning before I bought my first civilian-owned AR, and I am glad I did!!

THIS SITE ROCKS!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#32]
don't have home internet anymore, and just don't use it like i used to.   not much sense in paying for something you barely use.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Mine ran out.  My bad, basically, I wasn't paying attention.

So, went to the 'join the team' section, followed the instructions using paypal (I know, I know).  After several weeks with no upgrade, I checked the join the team' section again, where they posted 'no more paypal'.

Ok, no biggie.  So I sent a check.  Weeks ago.  Still no upgrade.

None of this is a bitch session, just a reason you might be seeing several whose team memberships have dropped, even though they're TRYING to be a team member.

I started trying to re-up in December.  Here it is March.

Same here but only been three weeks.  I renewed mine and ordered one for a friend on the board, but no luck getting it "counted"  Oh well, They will eventually get around to it.  If they downgrade me while I wait fot teh renewal to "take" I'll just not renew - simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#34]
IT's a TARP!

What's the point of this post again? I mean really? do you think that if someone picked #3 they would really say why? if you really wanted to know why dont you just IM the people you notice who were once  members with large post counts. No one wants to end up on a shit list, or a shrunken head! .....................................
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
<snip> No one wants to end up on a shit list, or a shrunken head! .....................................

Pfffffffft, I live for such thing, bring it!!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I have my reasons, members of the staff are aware of them,  and it's nothing you need to know.

In other words, it's Nunya.

But thanks for asking.

SG
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have my reasons, members of the staff are aware of them,  and it's nothing you need to know.

But thanks for asking.

SG

SG, I am not asking, nor do I wish for an answer, for it does not make one iota difference in my life either way but, I would like to state one thing, if I may?
In 'my' early (as if I have had anything early is 60 years) days of this site, I was a most pointed object in the side of the staff / mods and then some, banned more times than I care to admit or even care to remember. Heck, it really matters not. For the most part, arf is all right, it really is, but, heck, you know that, thus the reason you have been around so long.
There are a boat load of opinions I would not give a penny for, but, those individuals would not give it in return so, it all equals out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But thanks for asking.

SG

SG, I am not asking, nor do I wish for an answer, for it does not make one iota difference in my life either way but, I would like to state one thing, if I may?
In 'my' early (as if I have had anything early is 60 years) days of this site, I was a most pointed object in the side of the staff / mods and then some, banned more times than I care to admit or even care to remember. Heck, it really matters not. For the most part, arf is all right, it really is, but, heck, you know that, thus the reason you have been around so long.
There are a boat load of opinions I would not give a penny for, but, those individuals would not give it in return so, it all equals out.

You may still be an "old fart" but you are much less "cranky" these days, my friend.  
<snip>

Damn kids!!!! Always having the last type in the matter!!!!!! I am every bit as cranky as three, ummm, err...was that four....NOPE, it was Five!! Ummm, no, I think is was two....

Damn, what were we discussing again?? Oh Yeah, I remember, I want my BBQ well done!! Fetch me a hot chocolate at the same time!! Ummm, waiter!?!?!? Where'd you go waiter?!?!?

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top