Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 8:12:30 AM EDT
Had a ROTC student come and tell me he went to the local Scheels Sporting Goods store and ask about buying a AR15. The clerk told him it was company policy not to sell AR15 rifles.

Anyone else hear this?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Did they have them in stock?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly how does that make them 'anti' ar15? They've made a business decision not to sell them.

Have him go to a dunham's if he wants to buy an ar15 from a sporting goods store.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Who the hell is Scheels?

Is this like that Academy place?  Never seen it.  It does not exist.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Here, Dunhams only sells imported 'junk'.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here, Dunhams only sells imported 'junk'.

They might not be stocking it yet. I saw it at one where they remodeled their gun cases. In another store with the old gun cases, they just had imports.

Oh, the dunham's with the AR was also selling the new Kahr Thompson.

Dunhams has a huge special order catalog. If they don't stock AR's locally they can order one for you, and the prices seemed pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Never heard of them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Who the hell is Scheels?

Remeber... There is no spoon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Exactly how does that make them 'anti' ar15? They've made a business decision not to sell them.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It may be as simple as a business decision. It's not like AR's are that hard to find. They are more than happy to sell a Springfield Armory Garand or M14. Probably just more margin in those or it's not worth it to them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have the ability to post an actual opinion, or just want to play the smiley game?

Simple fact is they probably made a business decision that stocking a certain style of firearms will give them the highest sales, best margins, and fit in best with their business plan.

If they believe they can make more money and have higher turnover by stocking an 870 or 10/22, then that's a decision they need to make for their bottom line. They can sell them all day long but could go months with an ar15 sitting in their display case - costing them money for inventory cost, plus taking up display case that could be use on a gun model that may turn over 10 times in the same time span.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Scheel's does not sell AR's.  I have seen Ruger 10/22 with a normal capacity magazine (more than 10 rounds) being sold at Scheel's.  They won't even sell normal capacity magazines for the Ruger mini-14's that they sell.  It is Scheel's policy.  Scheel's is over priced anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
maybe they only sell "sporting" rifles?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#14]
just sporting stuff, although they do carry some pretty high-dollar collector guns, like old shotties (including autos) and cowboy guns... neat stuff, if i wanted to spend $20k on a shotgun.  had just about every reloading component necessary too, which was cool to look at.

they carry some wierd stuff from time to time, but mostly sporting stuff.  occasionally can catch a nice old garand, the one i (used) to live near started carrying 2-3 garands, not sure of the age (but old).

for quite some time they had some really screwy locally made ar-kinda-looking .22 rifle... wierd thing, but kinda black-rifle-ish.

they carried mk23's and desert eagles, so i'd say they just don't carry ar's because they don't see financials in them.

i used to buy a lot of cleaning equipment from them, and a fair amount of ammo (especially when they had their closeout deal on blazer brass).  it was nice to have a place like that a few blocks away.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Scheel's does not sell AR's.  I have seen Ruger 10/22 with a normal capacity magazine (more than 10 rounds) being sold at Scheel's.  They won't even sell normal capacity magazines for the Ruger mini-14's that they sell.  It is Scheel's policy.  Scheel's is over priced anyway.

They got some of the best prices around here.   The other places had to have a reality check and adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#16]
They told me it was policy not to sell military syle firearms. I then walked over and picked up a SOCOM 16 and asked him what category it falls into. He got an akward look on his face and made an uncomfortable laugh.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#17]
What sort of douchery causes a store not to sell "military style firearms"?

I guess Mausers and anything based on the mauser action are not sold there.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have the ability to post an actual opinion, or just want to play the smiley game?

Simple fact is they probably made a business decision that stocking a certain style of firearms will give them the highest sales, best margins, and fit in best with their business plan.

If they believe they can make more money and have higher turnover by stocking an 870 or 10/22, then that's a decision they need to make for their bottom line. They can sell them all day long but could go months with an ar15 sitting in their display case - costing them money for inventory cost, plus taking up display case that could be use on a gun model that may turn over 10 times in the same time span.

Ok, I won't add another smiley here.

Can't say that I know the store at all. But the original poster said that it was store policy NOT TO SELL AR15s. He didn't say that store policy was to NOT STOCK AR15s.

If they have an FFL, they can order AR15s and make a profit. DPMS's dealer mark up is quite nice (or at least it used to be when I was in the business).

So, for a sporting goods store that has a significant portion of its sore dedicated to selling firearms:

Not stocking: Business decision
Not selling: Anti-AR15

Conversely, I don't consider Walmart to be anti-AR15, because such a small portion of their business is firearms sales. They need to maximize their profits for the products they sell because they sell so many.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Scheels is a sporting goods store in the upper Midwest for those who don't know.  I have been there and have never seen an EBR or other such items.  Mostly fer "sportsmen"
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#20]
you guys have to understand the market, and the store.

where i used to live, for the town, it was fairly yuppy.  definitely at the "fancy" mall in town.

the area is filled with mostly hunters and collectors.  hell, the range i belonged to was mostly frequented by handgunners and bolt-action guys who came out to make sure their rifle still shoots straight while bolted into a vice on a bench on a sunny sunday afternoon.

they're certainly not anti-military, they carry garands, new m1a's, combat pistols of all sorts, and i've even found a couple 1903 springfield's.

it's a good store, generally fairly helpful staff in the guns section, and they carried a lot of accessories and fairly decent ammo prices for those times i didn't want to drive clear across town to hit the walmart for my local gun supplies.

in that town, you had two choices for accessories, walmart and scheels.  i bought all my accessories from scheels (and a couple pistols that were on sale), and all my hardware with one dealer, i wasn't very impressed with the 3 other gun shops left in town (well, one actually went out of biz, so i guess two?).

i don't have a problem with them, and won't hold it against them for not carrying ar's.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Check the High Standard page. Scheels is apparently a dealer of HS items.

I was looking up a place to get one of the HS AR lowers. My local scheels is listed as one of the places. Never actually tried to order one though. But i have seen Mini's and M1A's at my local Scheels.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Scheels in my state won't sell or take in trade AR15's or HK type assualt rifles (meaning 91, 93, or 94's), yet they sell Mini-14's, M1a's, and sell high capacity mags for the AR15. They have a nice display, but like alot of you have already mentioned, they tend to be over priced and they will not give you anywhere near the value on your trade in.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Interesting about Scheel's not carrying AR style rifles.  I think that is about to change.  We had a call yesterday with a request from Scheel's stating they are interested in carrying ArmaLite's and wanted to know how they can get started.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Wal Mart NEVER sold them and it doesn't keep anyone out of their stores.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I won't add another smiley here.

Can't say that I know the store at all. But the original poster said that it was store policy NOT TO SELL AR15s. He didn't say that store policy was to NOT STOCK AR15s.

If they have an FFL, they can order AR15s and make a profit. DPMS's dealer mark up is quite nice (or at least it used to be when I was in the business).

So, for a sporting goods store that has a significant portion of its sore dedicated to selling firearms:

Not stocking: Business decision
Not selling: Anti-AR15

Conversely, I don't consider Walmart to be anti-AR15, because such a small portion of their business is firearms sales. They need to maximize their profits for the products they sell because they sell so many.

I have seen DPMS's dealer prices,they are not all that great,unless you sell them at MSRP. The only reason i go to Scheels is because all of the rifles are sitting out so i can play with them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
 I have seen Ruger 10/22 with a normal capacity magazine (more than 10 rounds) being sold at Scheel's.

False.

Ruger does not offer anything greater than the 10rd magazines.
"Normal capacity" for the 10/22 is 10rds.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#27]
scheels does sell aftermarket high cap mags, but i have never seen a NIB 10/22 with high caps.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#28]
If a store decides not to sell one particular rifle over all others, that makes them Anti-to that firearm. It can be justified using sales lingo and profit margin all they want, but it is still a deliberate bias towards that particular type of firearm. I truely doubt they did any research to determine the market for AR15s. It is more likely an attempt to remain politically correct in todays litigation crazy world.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Who the hell is Scheels?

Academy has AR's.

Also all Zoom plastics are 30% off .
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Scheels will only sell Spingfield M1As, Garands, and Ruger Mini 14/30s and 10/22s
They will sell all sorts of handguns with high cap mags.

But hear is a Ray of hope for you.

I went to the Gander Mountain and Scheels in Eau Claire WI and asked about any AR15s or HKs. Both store employees said "sorry we don't sell AR15s only hunting rifles..........even though a AR15 makes a great varmint gun but corp. won't let us sell them...but we are working on that"

And the salesman at Scheels said it was a shame that they don't sell Black rifles, and then he told me where he buys his AR15s and FALs in town.

It was nice to see two employees, at different stores up to speed on ARs and excited to talk about them even though their stores will not sell them.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top