Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:35:04 AM EDT
Just wondering, another thread & link made me think about this.

Do you feel that one dog (any breed) is a serious threat to you if you have nothing but your body to fight it off with? I've never seen a dog I was scared of.

I've had to fight off two pretty big dogs in my life, walked away with just a few scratches the first time and muddy clothes the second. Did I just get lucky?

I do know grown men who are scared of them, just wondering what the ratio is.

eta: I'd like to hear the breed if there is one in particular that makes you shat the pants (pit, rotty, mastiff etc)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The smaller they are, the less confident I am that I could take one bare handed

roy d
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If a pit gets a hold of your leg (or your balls), even gouging the eyes won't stop it, if it's determined.
Punching it in the head will make it clamp down harder.

Of course once you feel the 1400 lbs PSI crunching down, you will probably be in shock.
Any plan you had will be gone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I 'd say a big dog that was determined to kill you , I think any grown man would be scared
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you feel that one dog (any breed) is a serious threat to you if you have nothing but your body to fight it off with? I've never seen a dog I was scared of.

search out some of the video clips of police dogs taking people down.

try youtube or google vids.

You might do ok if you're ready and facing the animal and can kick to keep it away, but I'm betting that unless you can do that or have a weapon, you're going down if you fight a big trained dog.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there any way to take out a large dog with your bare hands? Break its neck or something?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Many dogs are lethal with their teeth.  Hands vs. teeth is a mismatch

Many dogs are very powerful.  Bare-knuckling it with a dog is a situation I would like to avoid

Many dogs are very fast.  You aint gonna outrun em.

The exception to these rules are dogs like chiuauas (sp?)

I keep my distance from the shady ones; the ones that keep eye contact without expressing anything.  The dogs that I might approach are dogs such as labs (they are usually very friendly and love human company), but even then it is still a strange dog and I still do not trust it.

I guess you could say that I am fearful of many dogs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#8]

for the most part, no.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#9]
you can stop any creature by crushing its windpipe....it's just a question of how injured you get in the process.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If a pit gets a hold of your leg (or your balls), even gouging the eyes won't stop it, if it's determined.

Of course once you feel the 1400 lbs PSI crunching down, you will probably be in shock.

Repeating just what a vet told me once, the only way to survive a pitbull attack and make him
release his hold is if a male you have to grab him by his balls. Don't know if thats true, and not trying to make a joke , it would be a involuntary response and his jaw would open
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to think I wouldnt be scared of any dog, then I provoked a Rotty and had it charge me. Even though I know now he was bluffing, I know that if he were to unleash I would have been hurt when it was done. Getting in a fight with a dog, would be like getting in a knife fight. Even though you win, you are still goinig to be injured and bleeding.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#13]

In the unlikely event a police officer ever tells me "Come on out on your own or we're sending the dog in after you"....

I'm coming out on my own.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#14]
A well placed thumb in any dogs eye will fuck that sucka up!

The one dog I would feel somewhat scared of would be the Bull Mastif. I once met one in a field and wrestled with it after figuring out how friendly he was and the dog was one big SOB to be trying to move around. Granted I wasn't looking to hurt him but at the time I can guarantee he outweighed me and could easily have taken my entire thigh in his jaws had he wanted to. I ended up covered in slobber but that was one cool dog!

I have been attacked by pits twice and fortunately they are not the fastest nor brightest animals and I was able to evade rather easily.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Repeating just what a vet told me once, the only way to survive a pitbull attack and make him
release his hold is if a male you have to grab him by his balls. Don't know if thats true, and not trying to make a joke , it would be a involuntary response and his jaw would open

It depends on the dog.
Pain often reinforces the dog's instinctual reasoning for biting hard in the first place.

Again, depends on the dog.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone who said no is a fool
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I voted yes. Do I want to fight any breed dog? No. Do I think it might kill me? Maybe, but I'm sure as hell going to fight that son of a bitch to the death. If you can get a dog on its back and get on top of it, they can't do much. Choke that SOB to death or break its neck. I had to do this once this once to a mini Dachsaund. J/k.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't use my hands.  I'd do a roundhouse kick to the head!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wouldn't use my hands.  I'd do a roundhouse kick to the head!

Priceless.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#20]
No, because I have a foolproof strategy.

The dog comes chargeing, slobbering and barking...

then, I look at it and say "Cookie?"
This will momentarially freeze the dog in
shock, disbelief,and, actual hope that I do, in fact
have said "cookie".  

Then I reach out and snap his neck.

Simple.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1

BOERBOEL 145-200 Pounds
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Many dogs are faster and more powerful than you think. My 9 month old English bred Labrador Retriever is a solid and muscular 85 pounds. While extremely friendly, he is also very fast and very strong and I would'nt want to have to fight a dog that was as strong as him. His bite pressure is pretty high as he cracks large sticks like they are nothing, and he's still a pup.

Some of the breeds that make me a little antsy when they approach off leash are the big Rotties, Bull Mastiffs and Presa Canarios. Some Rottweilers that I have seen have weighed upwards of 150 pounds and their heads are like pie plates. I would not want to fight one.  Here is an interesting link that I found regarding dog defense.

www.iprepare.org/GH_ShowArticle.asp?HID=43&CATID=26

Here is a pic of my pup, Buddy

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Having broken up many dog fights I can assure you that hitting many dogs will not do awhole lot. I hit a Rottie one time so hard and so many times that my hand was bruised and swollen. She didn't think anything of it. The only reason she stopped was because she decided to. Keep in mind that she was going after another dog and not me.

Many of the guard type dogs have a very high pain tolerance. I had another rottie that we had to end up using a riding crop to train. Nothing else got his attention.

Just about everytime I have broken up a fight I have been bitten. It doesn't take a large dog to do a good bit of damage.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Hell yeah, a pit. I know that they are known for not letting go once they bite, but i would think that grabbing his nutsack & ripping it off would probably make him let go.  At least that's always been my plan if i ever get attacked & i'm without a weapon.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I beat the ass off of a GSD when I was a teenager. We were playing football, and it came after us. I was running away and tripped, and when it came towards me I kicked it and stunned it, I had it down punching it in the snout. It was turning its head, but I had it pinned down on its back, and it was kicking with its legs trying to get me off of it. I figured if I let it up it would start all over again, so I just kept punching it. It felt like 10 minutes, but the guys I was with said it was over in 45seconds to a minute. The knuckles on my right hand were tore up pretty bad from the teeth, it bit me on the left wrist before I pinned it down, and my stomach/chest was scratched up by the kicking feet. If the owner hadnt run over and convinced the guys I was with to pull me off of it, I'm fully confident I would have killed it.

Before that- I would have answered yes.
Now- definitely not afraid.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm terrified of Standard Poodles.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't consider myself to be a fool. And I won't be walking up to a large dog, bitch-smacking it in the face, and stealing its bone from its mouth to pick a fight. But I'm not scared of it killing me or doing serious harm to me as long as I know it's coming.

Maybe that's a distinction I need to make: I am talking broad daylight, open flat ground, and you know he's coming.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not afraid of small breeds - Pugs, Poms, etc.

I would not want to tangle with a German Shepard, Pitt, or Bull Mastif.

I used to own an Akita. I tought him to "smile" - he would show his teeth and do a really deep growl. Looked like he was going to eat you alive.

Human vs dog breed for bringing down bear? My money is on the dog.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
you can stop any creature by crushing its windpipe....it's just a question of how injured you get in the process.

+1 . no grown man should fear a dog, no matter the size, because you WILL win if have the determination. the only thing you should fear are the bills to get all your scars and broken bones fixed .

edited to add: once while hiking in the woods around bonneau (monks corner, SC area just outside the francis marion national forest very close to the dike for marion[or is it moultrie?]) a black lab charged me and i had to give it a VERY hard kick ( it landed about 5 yards away on its side) before it stoped and took off. i wouldnt be susprised if i didnt break a bone.

when i was a young kid between 5-10 i once had a rot chase me up a tree in the woods behind my house. i was there for like 30 minutes before it took off.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No, because I have a foolproof strategy.

The dog comes chargeing, slobbering and barking...

then, I look at it and say "Cookie?"
This will momentarially freeze the dog in
shock, disbelief,and, actual hope that I do, in fact
have said "cookie".  

Then I reach out and snap his neck.

Simple.

I'd use the crocodile dundee trick:

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Well i allways have a knife on me, so i might get bit, but the dog is getting chopped up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#32]
hell yes.  I would try to kick them in the throat on their way in if at all possible.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Getting in a fight with a dog, would be like getting in a knife fight. Even though you win, you are still goinig to be injured and bleeding.

+1
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I own dogs and I don't consider myself to be actively afraid of any dog, even big rotties and pitbulls.

But no, I would absolutely not want to fight one bare-handed.  You got lucky.

I'm pretty good at reading their body language though, so even when one runs up to me barking I can tell if he's going to stop 20 feet away and bluff or whether he really intends to pin me to the ground, tear out my jugular, and then take my ballsack home as a souvenir.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I can't beleive people actually say they are not scared of any dog one on one,

Yeah, you may have been in a "fight" with a dog and come out on top before, but who is to say the circumstances that allowed you to not be seriously injured that time would be the same next time.  

For example, last time the dog got you on the arm but you maintained balance and hit the sucker in the snout and it went away.  This time it gets you in the arm, your balance fails, you fall and hit your head on a rock and are dazed.

A dog determined to take you down and do serious harm to you - is a huge threat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Hell yeah, a pit. I know that they are known for not letting go once they bite, but i would think that grabbing his nutsack & ripping it off would probably make him let go.  At least that's always been my plan if i ever get attacked & i'm without a weapon.  

Wont work, look at the damage two pits fighting do to each other and they keep on fighting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#37]
boy you guys go totally nutty when it comes to "manly" stuff

this thread belongs with those SHTF / home intruder threads

go beat up a doberman
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#38]
You realize the "losing balance, falling down and hitting head" scenario is every bit as likely if you are fighting a detemined man, right?

If you want to be a blathering vagina, go ahead. Let the dog chew on you.

I'll take my chances and fight back every time, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
boy you guys go totally nutty when it comes to "manly" stuff

this thread belongs with those SHTF / home intruder threads

go beat up a doberman

This is as much a mindset question as a "manly" question. Go back to your knitting.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Yes i see them everyday. Id hate to have to fight some of the american bulldog tyoe breeds that look like they are on roids. I came close several times-here is the worst. I was reading a gas meter and a pitbull pushed open the gate and came charging. I had pepper spray in one hand and my computer in the other. I started backpeddling as i was spraying and fell in the neighbors landscapping. So there i was sitting on my ass spraying the dog,he stopped about 5 feet away and ran into the backyard. I about shit myself.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Anyone who said no is a fool full of shit.

Fixt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#42]
No.  Dogs recognize me as the alpha male.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixt.

Did you grow up around dogs? Get a chunk torn out of your ass by one? Get mounted by one? Why are you so scared of them?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I beat the ass off of a GSD when I was a teenager. We were playing football, and it came after us. I was running away and tripped, and when it came towards me I kicked it and stunned it, I had it down punching it in the snout. It was turning its head, but I had it pinned down on its back, and it was kicking with its legs trying to get me off of it. I figured if I let it up it would start all over again, so I just kept punching it. It felt like 10 minutes, but the guys I was with said it was over in 45seconds to a minute. The knuckles on my right hand were tore up pretty bad from the teeth, it bit me on the left wrist before I pinned it down, and my stomach/chest was scratched up by the kicking feet. If the owner hadnt run over and convinced the guys I was with to pull me off of it, I'm fully confident I would have killed it.

Before that- I would have answered yes.
Now- definitely not afraid.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I 'd say a big dog that was determined to kill you , I think any grown man would be scared

Apparently, there are 20 badasses on this board that ain't askeered of no dog.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You got that right.  There are at least 22 fools on this board.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixt.

Did you grow up around dogs? Get a chunk torn out of your ass by one? Get mounted by one? Why are you so scared of them?

CAN YOU READ?

This TOPIC isn't about being affraid to be around them. It's about fighting one. Anyone who thinks they want to fight one is either full of shit, or retarded.

I'm not affraid of dogs, I'm affraid of having to fight one.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

CAN YOU READ?

Yes, can you? Go read the name of the member who started this thread before you tell me what it's about. Further, being afraid to fight one and wanting to fight one are two distinctly different things.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You realize the "losing balance, falling down and hitting head" scenario is every bit as likely if you are fighting a detemined man, right?

If you want to be a blathering vagina, go ahead. Let the dog chew on you.

I'll take my chances and fight back every time, thank you.

Uhhh....ummm....NO SHIT???

Of course it is every bit as likely while fighting anything....if a charging 100 pound beast jumps on you, biting you in the process....you will most likely be on the ground and most likely be under a very strong 100 animal with sharp teeth.

Next time your at the gym have someone throw a bar with a couple 35's on it at you....see if you are strong enough to catch it mid air...if not...you are not strong enough to remain standing with a dog of similar weight jumping on you....

To boot, did I ever say anything about not fighting back and just letting a dog "Chew on me"?  No.  I didn't even breech the subject....BTW...no I would not be a "Vagina" as you so elloquently wrote...I would have shot the dog by the time it reached me.  

I simply stated that if you tangle with a dog you will take damage...I never said not to fight back.  

There is a reason people shoot threatening dogs....because they are fucking dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CAN YOU READ?

Yes, can you? Go read the name of the member who started this thread before you tell me what it's about.

Wow, you're right. That makes this even more stupid than I first thought.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top