Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 9:33:05 PM EDT
So I talk to my old buddy from NY today and it turns out he gave birth to I think his 4th or 5th kidney stone a few weeks ago at a HEALTHY 9mm big... YES 9MM!!!!!

He said he is very glad that one was gone, they ran a catscan and all was clear... until two nights ago. He says that this one is 5mm big.

From what he tells me that 85% of people that get them, they are Calcium but he falls into the 10% catagory that the stones are made from Uric Acid. He said that it is the WORST pain ever,

Anyone have wise advice I can pass on to him... Doctors just tell him "Needs to pass" He wants them to STOP!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read red wine is supposed to help prevent kidney stones.

not sure what it can do for the one he's carrying now...except to make him drunk.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
From my limited understanding, drinking lots of water (and not drinking large amounts of milk) can help prevent them. For now, though, suck it up I guess. Maybe he could get one of those proceedures done where they bombard the stone with sound waves intense enough to break apart the stone.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
"Bullet hose"
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
From my limited understanding, drinking lots of water (and not drinking large amounts of milk) can help prevent them. For now, though, suck it up I guess. Maybe he could get one of those proceedures done where they bombard the stone with sound waves intense enough to break apart the stone.

He tried that approach and NOTHING!

<some of you guys may NOT want to read the next part>

He told me that he went in to have a "procedure" done. they gave him a shot in his penis to numb it... then gave him some valium (Personally I would have rather have it the OTHER way around.. VALIUM FIRST!) Then gave him another shot in his peter. Then they took a long stainless braided wire and UP THE PEE HOLE it went to remove a stint of some sorts... then out came the rock.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He tried that approach and NOTHING!

<some of you guys may NOT want to read the next part>

He told me that he went in to have a "procedure" done. they gave him a shot in his penis to numb it... then gave him some valium (Personally I would have rather have it the OTHER way around.. VALIUM FIRST!) Then gave him another shot in his peter. Then they took a long stainless braided wire and UP THE PEE HOLE it went to remove a stint of some sorts... then out came the rock.

Wow....you know you're beteen a rock and a hard place when the cure almost sounds more painful than the ailment...

Kidney stones must really be not fun. Can someone realistically relate the pain to something else more common for me? I'm only 20 so I suspect I'll have to deal with 'em later in life, especially with a family history of gall stones.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Got my first one at age 17.  Not fun let me tell you.  I though I was dying or something.

When they get big enough, you often go get lithotripsy or some other procedures depending on the urologists recommendation and stone location.

Here's some pics! www.herringlab.com/photos/
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Got my first one at age 17.  Not fun let me tell you.  I though I was dying or something.

Well your board name makes sense now!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
So what the Hell causes these things anyway?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well your board name makes sense now!

LOL, yeah, I'm not very healthy for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So what the Hell causes these things anyway?

Apparently this one was caused by a staple... A FRIGGIN STAPLE!!! OUCH!!! THAT MUST HAVE HURT LIKE HELL PASSING THIS BASTARD!!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully my near vegan diet will prevent me from getting these...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a series of kidney infections that hurt so bad, it was the only time in my life I've ever considered suicide.  There was no escape, not even sleep.  30 minutes of REM nightmare sleep followed by 3 hours of writhing, sweating pain before another half hour of sleep.  For 3 days straight.  I was up to 1500mg of Vicodin EVERY 3 HOURS before I realized that even that wasn't working and backed off to save my body.  I'd catch myself hyperventilating only after my fingers and toes went completely numb.

3 days of unending, inconcievable pain and 3 trips to the emergency room for some serious painkiller injections and it finally ended.  I wouldn't wish the experiance on Diane Fineswine herself, it would be too cruel.  I still have kidney pain if I don't drink enough water, but thank everything holy that it's never been more than a dull ache.

After the infections passed, surprise surprise, I passed a stone.  It's about 5mm long by 3mm wide and of course, I have a picture.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Holy crap! That braided wire up the penis sounds like the same treatment old Doc Cochran gave Al Swearengen when he had a stone! Holy crap!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:31:38 AM EDT
[#15]
A guy that I work with drinks absolutely ZERO water and 99% coffee! He says water tastes like pencil lead, but has been told that he is going to have to pass all of his 5 stones within 1 month or they will have to glove up and go in!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Are there any signs to Kidney stock...shit you can look for you in your piss or... what?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Are there any signs to Kidney stock...shit you can look for you in your piss or... what?

Blood.

When I first discovered I had a kidney stone (14mm, right kidney) I went to pee and it came out looking like flat, watered-down cola. Peed later that day and it looked like cranberry juice.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Passed a little rock thirty years ago.  Some of the worst pain EVER!  Thought I was going to die...and wanted to.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking for a fix for my son. He's 5 now and just had his 2nd stone attack
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#20]
My husband passed a stone last fall. I swear it was like he was giving birth or something. Poor guy.

It was sharp as hell, he could feel it 'in there' for days before.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a fix for my son. He's 5 now and just had his 2nd stone attack

It might be the diet, that seems a bit young for Kidney Stones.  Poor guy.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blood.

When I first discovered I had a kidney stone (14mm, right kidney) I went to pee and it came out looking like flat, watered-down cola. Peed later that day and it looked like cranberry juice.

How the hell did they get a 14mm one out?  That's half an inch across!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#23]
when i had my woosy 3mm one last year doc told me a few things to do

1. Drink lots of water and less sodas
2. go easy on sodium
3. go easy on red meat
4. buy some fresh lemons and squeeze some juice in your water

lemon juice contains pottasium citrate or however you spell it and prevents the stones from forming
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Holy Crap!

Check out all the SHARP EDGES on those stones!

OUCH!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, they hurt like hell.  Had to go to the emergency room at Belvoir to get some painkillers for one in particular.  Am told it is worse than having a baby (not that I have ever personally given birth) and I believe them.
Thing is, it didn't pass through the urethra for almost another year.  During this time I occasionally experienced a sharp stabbing pain in my bladder.  I'm thinking WTF?  Finally, I pass the stone, it hit the toilet bowl with a loud PING.  Looked down and saw a stone about an inch and a half long and pointed like a needle on both ends.  NO WONDER I was having those pains.

My advice is drink lots of fluids which will help prevent the build up of the stones to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#26]
DrFrige...some info:

Calcium stones

These are the most common type of kidney stones. They are made of calcium and oxalate, which are chemicals found naturally in certain foods (see "Prevention", below for examples of these foods). A diet with a high content of calcium and oxalate can increase the concentration of these chemicals in the urine and make it more likely for stones to form. Other factors include:

* excess vitamin D,
   * overactive parathyroid glands,
   * medical conditions such as cancer, some kidney diseases, or a disease called sarcoidosis.

Uric acid stones

Excess amounts of uric acid can be caused by eating a lot of meat. Conditions such as gout and treatments such as chemotherapy can also increase the risk of getting uric acid stones.---DRFRIGE: Your friend doing atkins?

Struvite stones (infection stones)

These are caused by too much ammonia in the urine. Ammonia is a chemical produced by the bacteria that cause urinary tract infections. This kind of stone is most often found in women.
Cystine stones

These are caused by a hereditary disorder called cystinuria, which affects about one per cent of men and women.

I was also warned by my urologist (I had 2 stoned the size of my pinkie nail in 1990) that tea has also been found to cause uric stones.
Mine turned out to be calcium (my body is a relative calcium heaven...doc says I'll never get osteoperosis) so I've been told to watch the dairy.

As far as the stent and the the stone retrieval, yah...not fun. I can only imagine it being worse for men with all that added, er...dangly stuff.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Jesus Christ these threads scare the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn, I passed one last summer that was about the size of a house fly. 3mm x 5mm sounds about right. I can't imagine passing one 9mm in diameter, let alone 14mm.

I still have the pains, too. I'm dreading the next big one; I know I've passed smaller ones since then.

Whatever you do, folks, STAY HYDRATED. My problems started when I was overcome by the heat despite drinking lots of water. I was working long shifts inside a furnace that was still hot, and it was during the hottest part of the year so there was no relief. I haven't been the same since.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So I talk to my old buddy from NY today and it turns out he gave birth to I think his 4th or 5th kidney stone a few weeks ago at a HEALTHY 9mm big... YES 9MM!!!!!

He said he is very glad that one was gone, they ran a catscan and all was clear... until two nights ago. He says that this one is 5mm big.

From what he tells me that 85% of people that get them, they are Calcium but he falls into the 10% catagory that the stones are made from Uric Acid. He said that it is the WORST pain ever,

Anyone have wise advice I can pass on to him... Doctors just tell him "Needs to pass" He wants them to STOP!

There is no need in these modern times to pass a 5mm or 9mm stone.  The doc is a fricking quack.  Get another opinion.  These machines are your friend:

Even a hard non-calcium stone can be broken up with a laser, with out any cutting of skin.  We do thousands of cases a day.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:51:15 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm in on these surgeries all the time operating the mobile fluoroscopy machine (C-Arm) and then watching them stick a camera/endoscope in - neat shit.  Some people's stones are so fucking big they have to use ultrasound to break them up because they cannot be removed through the urtethra.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blood.

How the hell did they get a 14mm one out?  That's half an inch across!

That's OVER a half inch across.

I got the ESWL. The put you on a machine that pulverizes the stone. Looks like this:

Storz pwnz kidney st0nez!@

Peed out sandy-feeling particles for the next day or so. Now, as terrible as that sounds, it wasn't bad at all considering the other BS I had been through with that kidney stone. It was actually a relief; felt good. The scary thing is that I had it easy compared to some of these guys who pass whole stones or have to get stents or what not.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I got the ESWL. The put you on a machine that pulverizes the stone. Looks like this:

www2.kumc.edu/urology/images/photos/eswl.jpg

Storz pwnz kidney st0nez!@

Peed out sandy-feeling particles for the next day or so. Now, as terrible as that sounds, it wasn't bad at all considering the other BS I had been through with that kidney stone. It was actually a relief; felt good. The scary thing is that I had it easy compared to some of these guys who pass whole stones or have to get stents or what not.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up lithotripsy.

My dad had some major kidney stones, and his doc was talking about crap like sticking cables up his wang, the pain from passing them, surgery, etc.  He had already passed a few small ones and the experience was definitely not fun.  That was when I dragged him kicking and screaming to a Urologist with ESWL.  Even though it was an old Dornier water bath rig, it worked like a charm and he had no pain or trouble pissing sand.  I thought he was going to kill the first doc for putting him through all that pain for nothing.

I worked in the medical field for 20 years and I can tell you that the profession is full of incompetent quacks that I wouldn't let pop a pimple on my ass.  The MD you choose (or get stuck with via HMO) makes a HUGE difference in the level of care you receive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top