Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 7:57:38 PM EDT
Had a few spare minutes so I compiled this...

What do you guys think?  I can't decide for the life of me.

I have a 16" M4gery right now, and I want something with more of long range capabilities.

I'm open to all comments :)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
How much range are we talking?  You won't see a helluva difference between a scoped M4 and a standard A2 (w/ scope).

Sight radius would be diferent, of course.  You are much more likely to see better groups by using match ammo than by going 20''.

My .02

- BG

EDIT:  Lowers are cheap... just build a 2nd gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, that's my A1 clone!

ETA: If you want long range capability an A1 clone is probably not the best bet since you can't shoot heavier rounds (1:12 barrel twist).
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How much range are we talking?  You won't see a helluva difference between a scoped M4 and a standard A2 (w/ scope).

Sight radius would be diferent, of course.  You are much more likely to see better groups by using match ammo than by going 20''.

My .02

- BG

EDIT:  Lowers are cheap... just build a 2nd gun.

I'm going to buy another lower.  Going to build that first, with a standard A2 stock.

I just want something a little different, maybe with a 1/7 twist.  I don't plan on free floating the M4 either so...

Also, I have no intent on putting a scope or bipod on a carbine.  My M4 is staying plain with a red dot sight on top of the carry handle.  That's it.  I don't like cluttered tactical weapons.  That'll be my closer range play around gun, and probably shoot the 20" on the 100yd.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey, that's my A1 clone!

ETA: If you want long range capability an A1 clone is probably not the best bet since you can't shoot heavier rounds (1:12 barrel twist).

That choice is the only exception.  I just love the old school A1 style.  Maybe I'd pussy out and go with a different twist rate, but still keep the same appearance hehe

I'd probably look for one in 1/9th just so I could play around with the cheap 55gr crap, but still have the feel of an A1 :)

ETA: That really your gun?  I just snagged the pics from different parts of the board haha.  Feel free to take credit and brag about your rifles
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I voted A1 as that's my next project.

Your 5 option poll is at like 150%. Get busy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I voted A1 as that's my next project.

Your 5 option poll is at like 150%. Get busy.

Haha yeah that was one of my top choices anyways.  That's probably what I'm going to do if I decide to go longer range. (option 5)

But then again, the more I think about it, I might just go ahead and buy a Remington 700 or something along those lines.  How high of maintenance is a higher powered bolt-action rifle as such?

I'm fairly new to guns.  I'm learned alot about ARs, but I'm still shady as to the rest of the gun world haha
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
You can shoot 55gr with a 1:12, but you can't shoot 62gr SS-109 type bullets since they are too long and won't stabilize.  I've heard you can shoot 62gr lead core (like wolf) since the bullet is shorter without the penetrator that is in the SS-109.  I've never tried it though.

another of the A1 clone which is a real nice shooter, I got the brand new upper from CDNN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top