Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 3:28:32 PM EDT
Just hit about 5,000 feet south of the Flying J truck stop here in Matthews, MO.

I was taking some pictures of lightning when the wind picked up and I headed for the truck.

Holy SHIITE!!!  

You couldn't see out the wind shield, and the truck felt like it was in a blender!  

I almost didn't pull over to check email.  Glad I did!!!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
glad your ok
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Shouldn't you be runing?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]

What does the inside of a tornado look like?  I've always wanted to know.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have always wanted to witness one of those things.  Just watch it from when the funnel first forms and go from there.  On the other hand I'm not ready to die yet.  But those things are just so eerie and powerful.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have always wanted to witness one of those things.  Just watch it from when the funnel first forms and go from there.  On the other hand I'm not ready to die yet.  But those things are just so eerie and powerful.

They're pretty cool from the good side.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're pretty cool from the good side.

+1. your ears pop when you are in them, which is not fun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My buddy / neighbor runs lumber down that way. Be cool if I could get him to get Inet in his rig, but still working on getting the bastard a cell phone....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Got chased once by a tornado in the big truck,glad my Indiana trooper boss knew what to order(Freightliner FLD-120,460 Cummins 10spd,topped out about 85 mph or so)this was in IL,needless to say I wasn't doing the speed limit at the time(55)

Always got REAL lucky when it came to twisters,one hit Murphreesboro TN,not more than an hour after I left. Another hit the truckstop(TA)in AL after I left a few hours before. And I showed up in Omaha,at the Sapp Bros truckstop,ol Werner Trucking has the siren right on top of it's headquarters,damned thing was blarring that day,twister hit just northeast of the t-stop.

Nationwide,be safe out there,and remember,hail will do a helluva # on that Century/Columbia's windshield.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

I would like to see one too, but from a long way away.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Been closer to an F4 then most of ever will.

Did some chasing for awhile.  Jeep still has the dents to show for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Where is Matthews MO? Flying J has alot of T-stops in MO.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey!  Teh intarweb is back!

Well, there's debris all over.  A truck at the entrance got rolled into the hood of a Pete.  I've got some pics and video, nothing fantastic, let me see what I can get from my cameras.

Oh, and toquote Helen Hunt...

What's it like inside a tornado?  "Windy."  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Saw an F2 smack our house while looking through the kitchen window. (not my brightest moment). I always wanted to see one up close until just that moment.

I was amazed at how loud and gray that it was up close. It took our 40 foot maple tree and deposited it 2 blocks away but the consolation prize it left behind was a 600 pound corner of our neighbor's roof under our back porch.

I live in a hilly area of PA that NEVER could get a tornado, or that is what they used to say. It was the first one to hit my town in about a hundred years. I always thought that I would see one on a road out west, not in my kitchen.

They are very cool to see, Hopefully just from a little farther away next time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.ncds.us/xscuseless.gif

What does the inside of a tornado look like?  I've always wanted to know.

In a word; dark.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag for pics!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Does this help?

Taffy

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's a couple of pics I took before the storm got here.

I didn't want to get my precious Nikon wet, so I went in the truck and all of a sudden SHTF... I was to busy hanging on and putting on my seat  belt to take pics then.

If someone can host a video, I have a little after the main part of the storm.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Tornados are some scarry shit.  We got a bunch in Miami during the hurricanes.  They're what do the MAJOR dammage during a huricane
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So no pics of an actual tornado?

No.  What part of "Couldn't see out the windshield" do you not understand???  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Here's a couple of pics I took before the storm got here.

I didn't want to get my precious Nikon wet, so I went in the truck and all of a sudden SHTF... I was to busy hanging on and putting on my seat  belt to take pics then.

If someone can host a video, I have a little after the main part of the storm.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/nationwide/snapshots/mattews1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/nationwide/snapshots/matthews2.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/nationwide/snapshots/matthews3.jpg

Is that green spot on the third pic actually cloud?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Is that green spot on the third pic actually cloud?

I'm sure it's just a smudge on the lens.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#25]
You could have whupped it's ass Nationwide.  WTF?  You feeling a bit puny today?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#26]
It is good that you are safe and sound and your rig is still gtg.  Looking forward to the video.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can just imagine it,with all the overflowing trashcans/dumpster full of piss bottles/junk flying around![
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Gee thanks and that front is headed for us here in Pennsyltucky!!!

(EMERGENCY BROADCAST SYSTEM ANNOUNCEMENT TONE GOES OFF)

STANDARD DRILL FOR A TORNADO UPON HEARING THE SIRENS:

1. MOVE SMALL OBJECTS THAT MAY BECOME AIRBORNE INTO ANOTHER ROOM!

2. MOVE ALL LARGER OBJECTS INTO THE FURTHEST PART OF THE ROOM FROM THE OCCUPANTS!

3. PRAY FOR ANY OF THE SINS YOU MAY HAVE COMMITTED!

4. UPON HEARING A HORRENDOUS ROAR AND SEEING THE WALS AND CEILING DISAPEAR BEFORE YOUR EYES, PLACE YOUR HEAD FIRMLY BETWEEN YOUR THIGHS AND KISS YOUR AZZ GOODBYE!!!!

This has been message of the Emergency Broadcast system, if survive this storm contact FEMA immediately for assistance and they will try to get back to you sometime next year. We will now return to our regular broadcast program.

(Emergency broadcast system tone again)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice pics! I am glad that you are safe.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Welcome to Missouri. I am glad you are enjoying your experience.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Did you leave JAFO in the bathroom while you fled?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Pics i took today

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Tornados are some scarry shit.  We got a bunch in Miami during the hurricanes.  They're what do the MAJOR dammage during a huricane

There were more problems due to the power outages than anything else after Wilma. I would have hated to see a real hurricane hit that place.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#36]
How can you tell when a truck driver is lying?
his lips are moving
In this case his fingers are moving

J/K Nationwide, glad Swift didnt land on top of ya, LOL or the driver didnt jump in your truck and land on top of ya!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Welcome to Missouri. I am glad you are enjoying your experience.

+1
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit, I would have made damn sure I got the shot.

I'm calling

Damn it all.  ILikeUtah is calling BS on moi.  

Maybe if I had bought a Canon instead... since they are all waterproof... right???

Hey, since your canon IS waterproof, why don't you go jump in a lake!!!

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:58:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit, I would have made damn sure I got the shot.

I'm calling

Damn it all.  ILikeUtah is calling BS on moi.  

Maybe if I had bought a Canon instead... since they are all waterproof... right???

Hey, since your canon IS waterproof, why don't you go jump in a lake!!!

A Canon really would have been able to hold up in the storm and you could have had the shot.
Next time buy a Canon.

When I was in NYC this last week, all of the consumer model DSLR's I obseverd were[/ b] Digital Rebel's...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Got chased once by a tornado in the big truck,glad my Indiana trooper boss knew what to order(Freightliner FLD-120,460 Cummins 10spd,topped out about 85 mph or so)this was in IL,needless to say I wasn't doing the speed limit at the time(55)

Always got REAL lucky when it came to twisters,one hit Murphreesboro TN,not more than an hour after I left. Another hit the truckstop(TA)in AL after I left a few hours before. And I showed up in Omaha,at the Sapp Bros truckstop,ol Werner Trucking has the siren right on top of it's headquarters,damned thing was blarring that day,twister hit just northeast of the t-stop.

Nationwide,be safe out there,and remember,hail will do a helluva # on that Century/Columbia's windshield.

Where do you usually drive and when are you usually there?  I just want to stay FARRRRRRRR away.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Scary, real Scary.
For those of you who want to know what it is like inside a tornado, well It's loud, real loud. That shit people tell you about a freight train is BS, a frieght train is quiet. It's windy and from all directions at once and small objects are flying and hurt like hell. A leaf from a tree will cut you like a knife. A 200 pound gas grill will fly past you like a fast ball from a major league pitcher.
Then there is the air pressure, you can't clear your ears fast enough thus there is incredible pain.
Laying in a basment sucking on the concrete and you still bounce from the force is not fun. You know you have no power to survive, it comes down to if it 's your day to die you will.
And for those of you who may doubt my words let me say. I am writing the check today to pay for the last of the construction to repair the damage from the F4/F5 (number still being debated) that hit us Nov. 6,2005. 25 people died in my area that night, 500 homes were damaged or lost.
Man to be in a big rig that would be some scary shit

Aftermath Nov.6, 2005

edit to add pic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top