BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT
I searched for Iraq, execute, and insurgent, so I don't think this a dupe;

In a First, Iraq Executes 13 Insurgents

By SINAN SALAHEDDIN, Associated Press Writer 43 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq -
Iraq hanged 13 insurgents Thursday, marking the first time militants have been executed in the country since the U.S.-led invasion ousted
Saddam Hussein nearly three years ago, the government said.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Cabinet announcement listed the name of only one of those hanged, Shukair Farid, a former policeman in the northern city of Mosul, who allegedly confessed that he had worked with Syrian foreign fighters to enlist fellow Iraqis to carry out assassinations against police and civilians.

"The competent authorities have today carried out the death sentences of 13 terrorists," the Cabinet said.

It said Farid had "confessed that foreigners recruited him to spread the fear through killings and abductions."

In September, Iraq hanged three convicted murderers, the first executions since the 2003 ouster of Saddam. They were convicted of killing three police officers, kidnapping and rape.

Iraqi authorities reinstated the death penalty after the end of the U.S.-led occupation in June 2004 so they would have the option of executing Saddam if he is convicted of crimes committed by his regime.

He and seven co-defendants are on trial for allegedly massacring more than 140 people in Dujail, north of Baghdad, after an alleged assassination attempt against him in 1982.

Death sentences must be approved by the three-member presidential council headed by President Jalal Talabani, who opposes capital punishment. In the September executions and again in Thursday's hangings, Talabani refused to sign the authorization himself but gave his two vice presidents the authority.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Off to a good start,hopefully many more to come.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats how they kept control when Saddam was in power.  Thats the only thing that they respect.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thats how they kept control when Saddam was in power.  Thats the only thing that they respect.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Bout damn time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#5]
If/when they execute Saddam, I hope they broadcast it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank god it was Iraq and not US, so we don't have to deal with the political fallout.

Of course, they'll find some way to blame Bush for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#7]
LUCKY #13
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually this may help.  It is somthing they understand and is not so easy to be taken for weakness.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I think they may need to step the scale up a little bit.  Start wacking every insurgent they capture, if they have decent proof.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#10]
No complaints from me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#11]
You mean in Iraq the ACLU doesn't get involved to extend the appeals process for decades?  I wonder if there were any candle light vigils before they were killed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Good, I lost a friend over there to those shitheads.  They can call me if they need more rope.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#13]
If/when we pull out of Iraq....the Iraqi army will quell the insurgency in less than a month
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Alright Iraq, keep it going, don't let up now.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#15]
13 a good number to start with, its my lucky number.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
ttt for night crew.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Now they just need to bury them with a pig.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Any Pics?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#19]
If there weren't some people who needed killing, we wouldn't have needed to take the military in there in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Iraqi authorities reinstated the death penalty after the end of the U.S.-led occupation in June 2004 so they would have the option of executing Saddam if he is convicted of crimes committed by his regime.

Just warming up for the main event - Have to make sure that the equipment works, eh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top