Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 6:29:34 AM EDT
19.  Is it illegal to have a knife with a blade over 3 inches in my possession?

MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.

So,if you dont intend to use it unlawfully, how long of a knife can you carry ?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
19.  Is it illegal to have a knife with a blade over 3 inches in my possession?

MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.

So,if you dont intend to use it unlawfully, how long of a knife can you carry ?

I think it means that its ok to stab someone with a 2 7/8" blade

ETA: I am not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
That is one of Michigan's stupid "gray area" laws...

I have a CRKT M16 folder (the full size one) that I've carried from time to time but for the most part I carry shorter, "definitely legal" blades.

Strictly reading the law, you could carry it as long as you didn't plan to commit a crime with it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much as long as you aren't flashing it or threatening anyone with it you're fine with whatever.  Don't ask don't tell. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The key word is "Intent". You're not planning on stabbing someone, are you? If not, then you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Heres the problem... "intent" is something which you cannot prove. You can't demonstrate having or not having an intent to use a knife in any fashion. Therefore, if they want to, you can be persecuted for "posession of a weapon with intent" ... even if your so-called intent was to use it for box cutting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The had a big deal about double edged knives a few years ago.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The had a big deal about double edged knives a few years ago.

anything thats not a folder gets you a  free ride unless your hunting,in your own bussiness,on your property ect....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#8]
And for gosh sakes, DO NOT carry a blade concealed!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

? why
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Some cities and municipalities in michigan have different laws about knife length.  There is a section in state law about double edged knives, and another about switchblades.  For self defense carry a gun, the state preemption law rules.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

? why

+1

Never heard this one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#12]
It can be concealed.  It Michigan law states that you can not have "a double edged non-folding stabbing instrument except a hunting knife carried as such"

That's not an exact quote, but it's really, really damn close.

You can carry a folding sword if you want... there's no length limit, it just has to be able to fold, and it can't be assisted (switchblade).
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]

750.227. Concealed weapons; carrying.  
   (1)  A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk,
stiletto,  a  double-edged nonfolding stabbing in-
strument of any length, or any other dangerous
weapon, except a hunting  knife  adapted  and
carried as such, concealed on or about  his  or
her person, or whether  concealed  or  otherwise
in any vehicle operated or occupied by the per-
son, except in his or her dwelling house, place of
business or on other land possessed by the
person.  
the official performance of his or  her  duties  or
while going to or returning from those duties.

There you go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top