Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 6:24:01 AM EDT
I wanted to transfer a ak-74 which I bought off of the equipment exchange on here.  the FFL was sent, gun paid for, gun sent, I go to pay the transfer fee and the 10 dollar background cheak(oregon) and I'm deined by the Transfer dealer because no "paper work" came with the gun. he won't sell it with out it. I had a hunch that this was his policy(which i was unaware of, and he knew this was the frist time i had done a transfer through him) I have done 5 other transfers with out a problem, some came with paper work, some without. so i wanted to find out what is the real deal with this. so I called to ATF, they didn't know and said they would give me a call back. What can I do? oh and to make matters difficult I can't get a hold of the guy that i bought it from. I pretty sure he does not have a FFL so what other kind of paper work would be required??
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I think he had to send a copy of his DL along with the AK.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
That could be.

The receiving dealer has to log the rifle into his book as coming from someone. Usually it's one of the distrubuters he regularly does business with, or another dealer who's sent an FFL. But with a private sale that didn't include the seller's name and address your dealer has absolutely no idea who to write down and if can't properly log it in he really can't release, or log out, the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
he has the infomation of the seller, the seller e-mailed him and talked with the transfer dealer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
he has the infomation of the seller, the seller e-mailed him and talked with the transfer dealer.

Still, he needs something solid for the record books.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
would name, address and drivers licence work?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still, he needs something solid for the record books.

Yeah this is the grey area that alot of FFL's side on caution about.  They are putting a name in their book with no real hands on confirmation the details are correct.  Thats why alot of them only accept FFL to FFL transfers, it takes the issue out of the mix entirely.  

It seems like the FFL does accept private party transfers, but he should be clear what kind of paperwork he wants to satisfy his concerns.  In reality he really doesn't need anything in paper form, but it is his book and FFL and he needs to protect his business anyway he sees fit. He should have just been ditrect with his requirements BEFORE he told you to send the gun to him.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
should I just get another transfer dealer, can i just walk in there get the weapon and take it to another location or will i have to have a FFL dealer come with me? I believe this is a very gray area.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought the ak from the dukeryan midwestarmory.com.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top