Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 6:09:59 AM EDT
What say you?  Keep the mag fully loaded, partially loaded, or not loaded at all?  What implications does this have on the mag by keeping it loaded?  

Big debate here at work on if this should be done or not.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep all 70-something AR mags of mine fully loaded, and every handgun mag loaded.  

You are not going to hurt the mag by keeping it loaded.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
All mags kept fully loaded. An empty magazine is nothing but a poor throwing weapon in an emergency.

Keeping mags loaded will not harm the spring. And besides, new springs are cheap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Makes very good sense.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
All .22 mags topped off - all the time. I keep the .38 loaded too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Got the batteries loaded for the Beamz?!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You are ready for war.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are ready for war.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Keep the mags fully loaded.
This does not put stress on the strings.
Loading and unloading (firing) is what wears springs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Exactly. Cycles on a spring is what wears them out, not being kept under compression.

Its a fact.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#10]

I worked for an SF sergeant that told us to unload our mags at the end of each duty day to prevent wearing the springs down by leaving them loaded.  I knew better, but didn't have the heart to tell him so, since he's twice the man I am in every respect.  

There was an excellent article in one of the gun rags a couple years ago regarding the scientific data behind spring tension strength, etc.  Basically, leaving them loaded is good to go, so don't listen to the naysayers.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What he said.  I keep a few mags fully loaded and quickly accessible.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Fully loaded, ready to rock.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally, I keep a few mags loaded, ready to go.

But then I look at my old 89 4runner with leaf springs in the rear, and notice what the wieght (and time) have done to the rear end...........the dreaded droopy butt look.  

http://community.webshots.com/photo/398526795/1477418575030173464qSUuUY

Is this not the same principle as keeping mags loaded?  Weight on springs?  

Just random thoughts.  I do, however, feel an empty mag is a useless mag.

Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I only load my Enbloc clips to 7 rounds to keep them from stretching out.
I also only load Mauser clips to four rounds so that the little spring in there isn't overly stressed at the ends.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But then I look at my old 89 4runner with leaf springs in the rear, and notice what the wieght (and time) have done to the rear end...........the dreaded droopy butt look.  

Thanks.

vmax84

You have been driving your 4-Runner, which cycles the springs, and that is what makes them sag.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

vmax84

You have been driving your 4-Runner, which cycles the springs, and that is what makes them sag.

Why I can't put two and two together sometimes boggles the mind!!    Thanks again.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

vmax84

Why I can't put two and two together sometimes boggles the mind!!    Thanks again.

vmax84

Funny how that happens!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

vmax84

vmax84

My ex-wife has a droopy rear end. I guess its because she has been cycling it a lot
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Has to be smacked up side the head sometimes!!

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep one 20-rd AR mag partially loaded with 10 rounds, and a full .44 Magnum speedloader in the tray of my safe.

I must admit, I'm not prepared for a huge firefight here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Loaded and ready. I got 26 mags for the AR but not enough ammo to fill them.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

vmax84

vmax84

What do you suppose would happen to the springs if you loaded the 4-runner with concrete blocks and left it sit for a year?

I'm not saying that cycling the springs won't make them sag, but what's to say that it's the ONLY thing that will?

Probably the only thing that will PREVENT it is to never use it. Same with magazines. If you use them or store them with the springs compressed, I'd say that either one, or both, will contribute to spring wear.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

vmax84

vmax84

What do you suppose would happen to the springs if you loaded the 4-runner with concrete blocks and left it sit for a year?

I'm not saying that cycling the springs won't make them sag, but what's to say that it's the ONLY thing that will?

Probably the only thing that will PREVENT it is to never use it. Same with magazines. If you use them or store them with the springs compressed, I'd say that either one, or both, will contribute to spring wear.

True.  Leaf springs on the 4runner would probably last longer if I'd set the thing up on concrete blocks and let the suspension droop.  But what fun would that be??!!  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I only keep a few mags loaded at all times. You guys are making me paranoid. Guess I will have to go home and load 'em up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:28:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

vmax84

vmax84

Mags will NOT wear out leaving them fully loaded. End of story.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

vmax84

vmax84

My ex-wife has a droopy rear end. I guess its because she has been cycling it a lot

Just so long as you are the one she is cycling it with
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You are comparing 1000s of lbs of load on a leaf spring to the coil sring in a mag?

FACT, cycles wear springs under designed load. Load a mag full and leave one empty. 20 years in a vacuum, and the springs will have the same capacity to store energy.

The other thing that you you need to consider is environment. You leave a car outside over loaded for a few years, sure you will see wome wear. But that is only because that temp and moisture become a HUGE factor in the metal of the leaf springs.

Down to the micron you are right there are other things that wear a spring. But what we are talking about here is the wear on a loaded mag.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What say you?  Keep the mag fully loaded, partially loaded, or not loaded at all?  What implications does this have on the mag by keeping it loaded?  

Big debate here at work on if this should be done or not.

vmax84

Keeping mags loaded doesn't hurt them. Constantly loading and unloading them DOES hurt the springs, etc.

The only reason to download magazines is if doing so makes positive insertion easier during a reload. That is why I have 28 rounds in my AR mags.

The handgun mags always stay fully loaded, as to the magazines for all my other semi-auto rifles.

You also shouldn't argue with people who don't know what they are talking about. It is wasted effort.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#29]
not sure if it has been said, but the ammo oracle talks about 20rd mags that were loaded to go to war in Vietnam that were fired DECADES after they were loaded, without a hitch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Load 'em up and then post pics like fight4yourrights. The mag whores here will salute you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Load 'em up and then post pics like fight4yourrights. The mag whores here will salute you.

Yeah, but I only have Wolf ammo.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I had several mags loaded up with WWB for about 2 years. I took 'em to the range the other day and they worked FLAWLESSLY.

Load 'em up, it will NOT hurt them-
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Wish my gun took mags. All I have are these 30 round clips.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Wish my gun took mags. All I have are these 30 round clips.

Wheres your Gat? Gats take clips yo, and da beamz!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Go belt fed or go home

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Go belt fed or go home

ammunitionstore.com/Images/Ammo/A013.3.jpg

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Go belt fed or go home

ammunitionstore.com/Images/Ammo/A013.3.jpg

So on my open-bolt M249 can I store it with the bolt back, ready to fire, or will that wear out the recoil spring?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top