Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 4:30:15 AM EDT
www.gutenberg.org/cdproject/

Wow, what an awesome way to get classic books.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagged because I'm about to start eating up some bandwidth!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
What no one likes to read anymore?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#4]
are they the tagged pdf's that you can read on a palmpilot?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They have different formats.  They have the ability to put them on CDs and DVDs so cant see why you couldnt download it into a PDA.

ETA, they are image files.  So  no pdfs.  But if you can see a PIC you can do it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I can't read books on a computer sceen. I can barely read multi page articles online.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Usually text files or HTML.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have different formats.  They have the ability to put them on CDs and DVDs so cant see why you couldnt download it into a PDA.

ETA, they are image files.  So  no pdfs.  But if you can see a PIC you can do it.

what they mean by "image files" they mean ISOs which is a digitial image of the contents of a CD.  Like if you took a "picture" of the data on a CD and put it into a file, then could burn that "image" onto a CD and have an exact duplicate of the original CD.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doc, I just took a look and there are a number available in PDF on the actual download page, e.g. - "Pride and Prejudice".  There are also many available in ASCII plain text and HTML.

BTW - great link, and yes, some of us geezers still like to read!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.gutenberg.org/cdproject/

Wow, what an awesome way to get classic books.

This is awesome. There have some great late 1800 - early 1900s stuff in my discipline and I  can assigned students to read it.

They've got almost everything Darwin wrote --- shweeeeet.   Even grandpappy Darwin's Zoonomia.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't read books on a computer sceen. I can barely read multi page articles online.

not sure if it applies... but I use the Opera browseropera.com and it allows you to easily adjust the fonyt size.... So pages are hard to read at their original size, but change it to 120 or 150% and it is much easier to read the page.

also- pushing the F11 key will give you an uncluttered 'full page' view.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not sure if it applies... but I use the Opera browseropera.com and it allows you to easily adjust the fonyt size.... So pages are hard to read at their original size, but change it to 120 or 150% and it is much easier to read the page.

also- pushing the F11 key will give you an uncluttered 'full page' view.

Font size doesn't help...I just can't do extended reading on blocks of text on a computer screen.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]
tag just because.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doc, I just took a look and there are a number available in PDF on the actual download page, e.g. - "Pride and Prejudice".  There are also many available in ASCII plain text and HTML.

BTW - great link, and yes, some of us geezers still like to read!

You are correct.  I was looking at their CD, DVD thing and its said image files.

The time I would have saved in college and high school if I had something like this.  I wonder if they have Cliff Notes there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

. . .snip. . .I wonder if they have Cliff Notes there.

I doubt it.  I believe the intent is to educate, not avoid same!  Although, I must confess to having had a close relationship with Mr. Cliff in ancient times. . .
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a good site. I've had hundreds of those books on my computer in ASCII. You can put a nice library full of classics from western literature onto a small flash drive.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]

In before the "if it's free it's stealing" crowd.

I love PG.  I have tons of books from them.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Tagged because I'm about to start eating up some bandwidth!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In before the "if it's free it's stealing" crowd.

I love PG.  I have tons of books from them.

Jim

Actually, all these books are free because they're out of copyright. They're either published directly into a free-use scheme (like Copyleft), or they've moved out of copyright by virtue of passing the time period that most copyright laws specify.

I have read maybe 1 or 2 books on PG (which is not to say I don't read much. I read a lot. Every night for sure). I heard about them just after they started, but the thing is, I prefer to just sit down with an actual, physical book. I don't know why, but I find it immensely easier to read on paper.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#22]
This place has some too and they DO come in PDF and other formats

manybooks.net/
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Actually, all these books are free because they're out of copyright.

Yeah, I know.  But I've encountered people who, when introduced to PG, insist that it can't be legal, because you don't pay for the books.  No matter what explanation you give them, it just can't be legal, because you didn't pay.

I am puzzled by the mindset, but hey, if they want to pay for free things...I guess someone should take their money.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#24]
TAG!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#26]
tAg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top