User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 4:08:47 AM EDT
WTF?   I don't get the disparity.  

That is all.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#2]
chevys = bad cars;  hondas =  good cars; chevys = honda engines?????

I will always buy as american as possible. chevy/ford
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You got to understand most people get through the day by lying to themselves.

Self deception not money is the root of all evil.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
made in china=bad that's the simple rule

that said, it is becoming more and more of a necessary evil.  don't believe me? try to buy a TV.  If you're LUCKY it's made in Japan, but most likely either Tiawan, China or Korea.  There are NO made in USA tv's to be had anymore.

what about your kid's toys?  90% of the shit in toys-r-us is made overseas.

food? i live in FUCKING FLORIDA and the oranges on the shelf at the grocery store are imported from south america

I try hard to buy USA, but at the same time, it's very hard to do so.  I would never buy a chinese gun, or car, or shit like that.  At the same time, sometimes you have no choice with a lot of consumer goods
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you're trying to buy as american as possible, you need to be looking at Toyota and Nissan.

Most of GM and Ford's production is done outside the country while "those damn jap cars" are being made right here by AMERICANS.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The hypocrasy goes farther than that.

US ammo = overpriced but quality, Russian ammo = we will trip over ourselves to brag on its quality because it's so cheap.

That's just one. I'm sure there are a hundred more examples of how we spite our faces by cutting off our noses.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Corrct me if I am wrong, but US citizens can no longer buy Chinese rifles, pistols, or ammo. For some strange reason, Norinco built shotguns are still allowed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're trying to buy as american as possible, you need to be looking at Toyota and Nissan.

Most of GM and Ford's production is done outside the country while "those damn jap cars" are being made right here by AMERICANS.

Exactly
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Other than some rough metal finish there is nothing wrong with my SKS made at Peoples' Armory number 416.

The owner's manual says "Be sure to use only genuine replacement parts from Peoples' Armory number 416."

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]
InTechLetYouAll Update:

Honda is not Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
The problem of one is good and the  other is bad is that the quality of the products, other than the fact that one is socially acceptable and the other is not.

The problems stems from this side of the pond.  Years ago, when the phrase "Made Japan" denoted cheap shoddy merchandise.  I have seen this years ago as a boy, I had this jet plane that was fantastically made, and like every like boy, took it apart to see what was inside, and low and behold, it was made from a beer steel beer can(back then the cans were steel).  At that time, it was $hit! what piece of crap.  But today, I would call that ingenuity.  But the point is when the buyers at Wally-World goes to the Chinese and say "make me somthing like this for me as least cost as possible," of course you're going to get a piece poor quality equipment, same as the Japanese.  Manufacturers around the world are quite capable of making a decent whatever, but when the spec call for the cheapest possible....  The blame goes to the USA company and not exactly the manufacturer or country of origin.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a wide range of opinion on imported goods around here (assuming one is posting from inside the USA) but the simple fact is that the US civilian firearms market is shielded from foreign competition more than a little by protectionary importation laws. Other countries tend not to question the matter as (in most all nations) civilian arms sales is seen more of an issue of "domestic security" than it is seen as a simple matter of trade protectionism.

If the US gun market was as open as all other US material goods markets, we'd be shooting as many "American" guns as we are driving "American" cars--at least as far as new production is concerned.
~
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Chinese rifles get a pass because all rifles, by their very nature, are cool.  Even Chinese ones.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#14]
most of the Chinese made products at WALMART are very well made and you get your money's worth
they dont sell cheap quality stuff at WALMART they usually sell decent quality

I dont care who made it as long as I get a quality product at a reasonable prices

Im glad we have WALMART, the prices before Walmart were such a rip off, I never feel like I over paid when I shop at Walmart
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Chinese rifles get a pass because all rifles, by their very nature, are cool.  Even Chinese ones.

Still supporting the Chinese gov't.
Not anymore obv. since the rifles are banned from further import.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#16]
That's what capitalism is all about, competition and choice.  As others have mentioned, Walmart wouldn't be buying that stuff if it didn't meet their requirements, which is that it will be cheap and mass produced.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#17]
You also tend to get what you pay for, I've seen some really shitty Chinese stuff, but then again there is also a lot of shitty American stuff.

I shot a Chinese SKS and it seemed like I nice rifle. It was jamming at first, but after squirting some oil into the action and cycling it a few times, it worked like a charm.

Basically the Chinese are good at mass producing things, but when it comes to precision and quality control, there is room for improvement.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
food? i live in FUCKING FLORIDA and the oranges on the shelf at the grocery store are imported from south america

How that makes sense I don't know... Just like CA is a huge grower of avocados but you can't find them for less than $1 each...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#19]
There are many options available instead of supporting our enemies.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
most of the Chinese made products at WALMART are very well made and you get your money's worth

I dont care who made it as long as I get a quality product at a reasonable prices

Im glad we have WALMART, the prices before Walmart were such a rip off, I never feel like I over paid when I shop at Walmart

Where to begin?   Well, first off there's ....  ah, nevermind.   If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Good mechanics need the work.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Are you sure that you're shopping at Wal-Mart?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you sure that you're shopping at Wal-Mart?

+1
Do you work for Wal-Mart?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#24]
good point.  People that hate Walmart are weird, or they own a mom and pop shop that wants to charge you twice the money for the same item at their store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top