Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 6:33:50 PM EDT
If Taiwan was invaded by china would we go to war with china to stop commies like we did in vietnam?

If so who would win? I always pondered such a thing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
No, I doubt we would.........Walmart wouldn't sign off on the war
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd imagine we would sellout Taiwan and stay out of it.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I think america would be better off if we didn't buy all that crap from china. I wonder if there guns are like the mc donalds toys will they break after a few mins?

Edit: There food also gives me the hersey squirts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
it's not a vital interest.  tiawan is a democracy, but they don't have much to offer us vs the chinese.  if we piss off the chinsee, they will turn off the flow of wal mart goods, which would hurt us far more than the loss of tiawan
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
it's not a vital interest.  tiawan is a democracy, but they don't have much to offer us vs the chinese.  if we piss off the chinsee, they will turn off the flow of wal mart goods, which would hurt us far more than the loss of tiawan

I only buy guns, food, and ammo from wal-mart I don't think it would effect us that much maybe clothing would and all that crap like fake flowers and shit that we don't really need.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't telling China to go fuck them selfs be enough for them to stay away from Taiwan?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I would hope that we would, but I kind of doubt it.  Alot of it depends on who's in power at the time.

-K
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I only buy guns, food, and ammo from wal-mart I don't think it would effect us that much maybe clothing would and all that crap like fake flowers and shit that we don't really need.

YOU only buy that from walmart, but how many other people buy every kind of made in china crap that they can put inside the building? i dont think there is one thing in the toy asile NOT made in the PRC
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
So what we deserve it if it does happen. We should be able to saport our own country don't you think?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
As China become more and more capitalistic, and if they allow places like Hong Kong relative autonomy and continued individual freedoms, I imagine that Taiwan will be willing to come "back into the fold" in another 20 years or so, when the "old guard" are gone from the mainland China government, and they have move much further towards a more free system.

The capitalism that is growing in leaps and bounds in mainland China has already completely 100% undermined any notion of "communism" that are left, and I think that in another 20 years, China will be very much like Singapore is today.  Given those terms, I think some sort of limited reunification WILL be possible, without a shot being fired.

Or, I could be completely wrong.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#11]
A better question is why does China go apeshit over Taiwan? Could it be yet another bad Asian attempt at a bluff? Misdirection?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
If China were to invade or attack Taiwan then I think that the American response would depend entirely on who was in the White House. If it's a Dem then the Chinese will be allowed to take Taiwan unincumbered. If it's a Republican then there is a greater chance that we will fight for Taiwan.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Taiwanese are no slouches militarily. They can kick some ass and they have alot of our firepower. The Taiwanese definately have what it takes to make the Chinese pay for any attempt to invade.

Personally, I have given this issue alot of thought and I have come to the conclusion that if China were to invade Taiwan then the US absolutely should fight the Chinese to defend Taiwan. The policy of containment of communism that the US held through out the cold war was a correct policy and America cannot sit back and allow a nation that we are allies with fall to communist rule.

Fuck the red Chinese. If they think that they have the power and the will to oppress our allies then let's get it on. I'm tired of pussyfooting around with China and I'm sick of their threats regarding their weak ass nuclear capabilities. If they want to fucking dance, then start the fucking music!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If China were to invade or attack Taiwan then I think that the American response would depend entirely on who was in the White House. If it's a Dem then the Chinese will be allowed to take Taiwan unincumbered. If it's a Republican then there is a greater chance that we will fight for Taiwan.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the Taiwanese are no slouches militarily. They can kick some ass and they have alot of our firepower. The Taiwanese definately have what it takes to make the Chinese pay for any attempt to invade.

Personally, I have given this issue alot of thought and I have come to the conclusion that if China were to invade Taiwan then the US absolutely should fight the Chinese to defend Taiwan. The policy of containment of communism that the US held through out the cold war was a correct policy and America cannot sit back and allow a nation that we are allies with fall to communist rule.

Fuck the red Chinese. If they think that they have the power and the will to oppress our allies then let's get it on. I'm tired of pussyfooting around with China and I'm sick of their threats regarding their weak ass nuclear capabilities. If they want to fucking dance, then start the fucking music!

I found this which is a little music to my ears. It says that china has the shityest stuff on earth but they are getting some su27s from russia which isn't really anything compared to what we have. Plus the F-22 just went into service. Hey and if china does invade lets hope they don't come to maine because im a packin.

Edit:
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
it's not a vital interest.  tiawan is a democracy, but they don't have much to offer us vs the chinese.

The goods that Taiwan specializes in are more advanced than mainland China's - items that are more likely to be of strategic (military) value to the west. Mainland China specializes in producing run-of-the-mill consumer goods at cheap prices - items that can just as easily be produced in India, Thailand, Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, etc.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#15]
well I have no choice but to shop at wal mart, it is my only supermarket EXCEPT for publix on this side of town.

I am now REALLY against publix because of their ANTI 2A stance. Lifelong boycott has already started with publix.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a Taiwan question too:

Do they have a nuke weapons program? If not, why not?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]
China could take Taiwan anytime they wanted to, and the US would be able to do nothing to stop it short of threatening a nuclear escalation.  But China doesn't want Taiwan for it's geography.  China wants Taiwan for its economic power, and China can't seize that militarily.

China will be patient, demonstrate its willingness to allow limited democracy, and will eventually suck Taiwan back in.  I'd give it about 20-25 years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#18]
The US has promised to defend Taiwan in the event of an invasion by the Chinese.  A Chinese general told the free press last year that in such an event, the chinese knowing they are unable to fight and win against the USA in a conventional war, would strike with nuclear weapons to offset the balance in the opening stages.  The Chinese government claimed afterwards that the General did not represent the feelings of the Chinese government with regards to their trade partners the USA.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]
The US is bound by treaty to protect Taiwan, now whether or not the US honors that treaty if Taiwan was invaded by the mainland is another story.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Taiwan is very important as they make the Vast Majority of Computers everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#22]
If China boycotted all US imports during an act of war, I am pretty sure that would screw themselves as we are the sole largest imported and hence would devistate their ecomony in the short term.  I would also assume that most of the EU would stand behind us in the chinese boycott.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#23]
if Taiwan gets invaded electronics production the world over will be down for quite some time.
A vast majority of the components in anything electronic comes from Taiwan.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
As China become more and more capitalistic, and if they allow places like Hong Kong relative autonomy and continued individual freedoms, I imagine that Taiwan will be willing to come "back into the fold" in another 20 years or so, when the "old guard" are gone from the mainland China government, and they have move much further towards a more free system.

The capitalism that is growing in leaps and bounds in mainland China has already completely 100% undermined any notion of "communism" that are left, and I think that in another 20 years, China will be very much like Singapore is today.  Given those terms, I think some sort of limited reunification WILL be possible, without a shot being fired.

Or, I could be completely wrong.  

+1.
China and Taiwan need each other. Taiwan places the orders and gets the business, China makes the stuff. Both sides rattle sabres every now and then for domestic political consumption, and to make sure the other doesn't get ahead of themselves. Taiwan would have to do something pretty big to actually force an invasion, like declaring independance. They won't really do that, because they have too much to loose. Also, they see themselves as the legitimate rulers of greater China, just like the mainlanders do, so there's pride at stake.

Unless things get really crazy, I agree with DKprof- unification of some sort on mutually acceptible terms in 20 or so years. That doesn't meant that the US and China wont go to war, but it will be over other issues, like access to oil.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:36:50 AM EDT
[#25]
The mutual defense treaty with the ROC (Taiwan)-www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/diplomacy/china/chin001.htm
was ended after a 12 month notification as part of the conditions Red China layed down for relations.

In order to continue with "business as usual" without the usual, Congress passed legislation to protect Taiwan.

The Taiwan Relations Act was passed by Congress and singed into US law.  www.wufi.org.tw/eng/feldman.htm

This is an act, passed by Congress and signed by the President into law that requires the USA to maintain peace in the region and specifically protect the peace of Taiwan.  It is the only nation to have protection of US law, not just treaty.  It is also not a nation in the sense of relations with the US.  Military equipment, training, and economics still go on as though it were a recognized nation, just that they aren't.

The act is what's pretty much prevented any president from just haning Taiwan out to dry, which no doubt would have been the easy route to take with some of them.

The recent views of China becoming a threat or competitor, and Japan's trouble with them and it's pledge to defend Taiwan with the USA has complicated US/China relations.  In the end it seems as though everyone is actually getting what they want out of the deals, so it's unlikely any force would be used to take Taiwan.

China is getting everything it wants handed to it on a silver platter right now.  There's no reason to change that unless Taiwan declares independence.  That declaration would be impossible for China to take laying down.  They've pretty much painted themselves into a corner on that one.  With the economic ties the USA has with both, pretty much everyone gets fucked if war happens.  The end state is the US sits on a fence it made and maintains between the two.  One thing the Chinese have is patience, and as long as it looks like nothing's going bad, they won't start anything.  Taiwan and China have economic ties as well going on, and that is another thorn in the side of an easy solution.

China will push every president to see where he stands.  One thing that really bugs China is having to reinvent it's relations with the USA every four to eight years.  But as long as no one on Taiwan does anything stupid, nothing is going to happen.  Military action is frankly remote.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've got a Taiwan question too:

Do they have a nuke weapons program?

No, they do not have a nuclear weapons program.

If not, why not?

Diplomatic pressure from the US persuaded them not to become a nuclear power. I believe we agreed to help defend them if they abandon their nuclear weapons research, but I am not certain that we made this commitment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top