Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 5:43:27 PM EDT
Last night's latest loser: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=443966&page=1&

Tonight's Loser is someone I'll refer to as Chester.

Chester is a single white male, aged 52.

He is well-groomed, appears to be introverted and works as a Lead Designer at a local lumberyard designing panel, roof and floor trusses.

Now, to you renter novices,

well groomed = not a slob,
introverted = no keg parties,
Lead designer = steady, reliable paycheck = pays his rent.

But, let's not stop there.  Let's get him to fill out a rental application and take his twenty dollars to run a background check.  As part of the tenant screening check, I get his credit report, his previous addresses, his current job status and whether he has ever been evicted before.

Ka-ching.  His credit score is 635.

He has 13 positive accounts, 3 negative accounts and several more in collection.

Hmmm...that doesn't sound right.  Let me look closer at his negative accounts and those in collection.  I thought that if they all happened around the same timeframe that it may be the result of a divorce or medical problem that was financially catastrophic to him.  Well, no such luck.  He has a demonstrated history of not paying certain types of accounts.  He is in collection to four cable/dish network accounts, three power company accounts and a couple of cell phone accounts.

I also notice that he has over a dozen recent addresses.  That's strange.  What's with the transient lifestyle?  

So, I did something that I've never done before.  I went to the county website and pulled up the available local records that are available on him.  As it turns out, Chester's full name is Chester-the-molester.  

Yep - a real credit to society.  When he was 40, he got real friendly with somebody under the age of sixteen.

I'll burn my friggin' house down before he sets foot in it again.

Ya know what?  The next door neighbor?...the one with the little boy who likes to play out in the front yard...they won't even know how close they came.

I really like investment properties....a lot.  I could do without this part of it though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
at first i thought this thread was about me!

that said, it just sounds like this guy was a simple case of a good shine on a turd..... way to see through it
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
at first i thought this thread was about me!

that said, it just sounds like this guy was a simple case of a good shine on a turd..... way to see through it

Sex offenders have a long way to go before they can reach the classification of "turd".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Another day of interviewing prospective tenants.

I'm secretly hoping for a meth addict.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

They are more fun than carni-folks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow...Good catch!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for reminding me, once again, why I don't want to be a landlord.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smell like cabbage.

So do you just politely deny his application, Johnny?  Or...?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smell like cabbage.

Yes, I didn't mention his criminal background.  I just called him and told him that he was being declined because of the collection accounts on his credit report.

Then I Lysol'd my phone after I hung up with him.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for reminding me, once again, why I don't want to be a landlord.

Actually, I enjoy it.  In one home I have a nurse and in another I have a realtor.  They're both top-notch.  You just have to wade through a lot of flotsam to find the right one.

I actually did have a meth user show up one time.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a guy come in the other day to buy a boat.

His credit score was a whopping 480.

Needless to say he's still fishing from shore.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I had a guy come in the other day to buy a boat.

His credit score was a whopping 480.

Needless to say he's still fishing from shore.

Another victim of "the man".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smell like cabbage.

Yes, I didn't mention his criminal background.  I just called him and told him that he was being declined because of the collection accounts on his credit report.

Then I Lysol'd my phone after I hung up with him.

Gotcha.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Last night's latest loser: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=443966&page=1&

Chester is a single white male, aged 52.

He is well-groomed, appears to be introverted and works as a Lead Designer at a local lumberyard designing panel, roof and floor trusses.

Now, to you renter novices,

well groomed = not a slob,
introverted = no keg parties,
Lead designer = steady, reliable paycheck = pays his rent.

But, let's not stop there.  Let's get him to fill out a rental application and take his twenty dollars to run a background check.  As part of the tenant screening check, I get his credit report, his previous addresses, his current job status and whether he has ever been evicted before.

Ka-ching.  His credit score is 635.

He has 13 positive accounts, 3 negative accounts and several more in collection.

Hmmm...that doesn't sound right.  Let me look closer at his negative accounts and those in collection.  I thought that if they all happened around the same timeframe that it may be the result of a divorce or medical problem that was financially catastrophic to him.  Well, no such luck.  He has a demonstrated history of not paying certain types of accounts.  He is in collection to four cable/dish network accounts, three power company accounts and a couple of cell phone accounts.

I also notice that he has over a dozen recent addresses.  That's strange.  What's with the transient lifestyle?  

So, I did something that I've never done before.  I went to the county website and pulled up the available local records that are available on him.  As it turns out, Chester's full name is Chester-the-molester.  

Yep - a real credit to society.  When he was 40, he got real friendly with somebody under the age of sixteen.

Ya know what?  The next door neighbor?...the one with the little boy who likes to play out in the front yard...they won't even know how close they came.
You did good.

I really like investment properties....a lot.  I could do without this part of it though.

This is a main reason I decided to sell my townhouse rather than keep it as a rental.

Also, I liked my neighbors too much to foist a renter into their neighborhood.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh, yes, a meth cook would make a GREAT tenant. When he leaves, you have a toxic waste dump that will cost you thousands to clean up. BTW, generally the state will make you clean it up before you rent or sell it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Tell him about Myspace.com

Sounds like he'd like it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Oh, yes, a meth cook would make a GREAT tenant. When he leaves, you have a toxic waste dump that will cost you thousands to clean up. BTW, generally the state will make you clean it up before you rent or sell it.

No. You won't get it back - the state will confiscate his entire property with no compensation under RICO.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to own a rental duplex, and I'm happy to be out of that business.  The money was good, but it was a hassle.  I only had one troublesome renter, but they seem to sour it for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This is a main reason I decided to sell my townhouse rather than keep it as a rental.

Also, I liked my neighbors too much to foist a renter into their neighborhood.

I was a renter for twenty years.

A darn good one too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I have had landlords, and they both thought I was the greatest thing since sliced bread, for no other reason than that they never needed to talk to me....about anything. I thought that's the way it was always supposed to be, makes me kinda realize what a BAD tenant is like.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have had landlords, and they both thought I was the greatest thing since sliced bread, for no other reason than that they never needed to talk to me....about anything. I thought that's the way it was always supposed to be, makes me kinda realize what a BAD tenant is like.

Since last August I have interacted with each of my renters once.

One when she reported that the A/C was leaking water onto the carpet.  I had a serviceman at her door within 90 minutes.

The other stopped by once to drop off the rent in person because she had forgotten to drop it in the mail.

I don't needlessly bother them, but ensure that I'm available immediately if there are problems.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. You won't get it back - the state will confiscate his entire property with no compensation under RICO.

I question that.

Unless I, of course, had knowledge of what they were doing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I question that.

Look it up. Just one of the many risks associated with being a smalltime landlord.

Just like loaning your car to a guy who's dealing drugs (even if you don't know it)- the car gets impounded and you may never get it back - U B SOL.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since last August I have interacted with each of my renters once.

One when she reported that the A/C was leaking water onto the carpet.  I had a serviceman at her door within 90 minutes.

The other stopped by once to drop off the rent in person because she had forgotten to drop it in the mail.

I don't needlessly bother them, but ensure that I'm available immediately if there are problems.  

I decided to get out of all the residential recently because of that kind of screwing around; well that and the damn city causing me to hemorrhage money.

I condo’d what I could and then sold it all, 1031 exchange is my good friend. I'm strictly NNN now and let me tell you sir, it is awesome. “Call me if it burns down” is my new slogan.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Chester is a single white male, aged 52........

Ka-ching.  His credit score is 635.......

I also notice that he has over a dozen recent addresses.  That's strange.  What's with the transient lifestyle?....  

I do not blame you for having an opinion, but just two points:

1) this event with the minor took place twelve years earlier. The state already punished the guy for it, and if he was a repeat offender, he'd have probably repeated by now. And-

2) if you don't know the details of the arrest, you really can't make a fair judgement anyway. And details on these cases are usually not available to the general public. Did he rape a eight-year old, or was he at a bar and hooked up with a 16-yr old with a fake ID?  

....as far as the "dozen different addresses", I have mentioned that a couple times before. A lot of people that end up on sex-offender registries (for whatever reasons) do tend to cut & run, because they can't find decent jobs or housing--because they are listed on the sex registry. And then people (like one of my buddies who is a cop) get to spend taxpayer dollars searching for them all over again. Sometimes every few months.
~
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I question that.

Look it up. Just one of the many risks associated with being a smalltime landlord.

Just like loaning your car to a guy who's dealing drugs (even if you don't know it)- the car gets impounded and you may never get it back - U B SOL.

Loaning your car is different.

This is a rental situation.  If I rented a car from Avis and got caught with a joint, would they take the car from Avis?  I doubt that.

Keep in mind that if they tried to take a rental home, they're taking the home from a bank - not me.  I'm guessing a banking institution that has over 100K invested in the home is not going to take it lightly.  At the least, the local city councilman (who is dependant on political contributions just like all politicians) isn't going to ignore the protests of big business within their district.

Like I said before, I question that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chester is a single white male, aged 52........

Ka-ching.  His credit score is 635.......

I also notice that he has over a dozen recent addresses.  That's strange.  What's with the transient lifestyle?....  

I do not blame you for having an opinion, but just two points:

1) this event with the minor took place twelve years earlier. The state already punished the guy for it, and if he was a repeat offender, he'd have probably repeated by now. And-

2) if you don't know the details of the arrest, you really can't make a fair judgement anyway. And details on these cases are usually not available to the general public. Did he rape a eight-year old, or was he at a bar and hooked up with a 16-yr old with a fake ID?  

....as far as the "dozen different addresses", I have mentioned that a couple times before. A lot of people that end up on sex-offender registries (for whatever reasons) do tend to cut & run, because they can't find decent jobs or housing--because they are listed on the sex registry. And then people (like one of my buddies who is a cop) get to spend taxpayer dollars searching for them all over again. Sometimes every few months.
~

I know what a "lewd and lacivious act with a child under the age of 16" means.  It means you're a turd.  This isn't a case of 18 year old Jimmy and 17 year old Jane.  He was 40 when it happened.  He also has a simultaneous charge for assault.  Ain't he special now?

and as far as being a repeat offender - he very well may be.  I only checked his conviction in one county.

Fuck him.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#27]
How green was his money?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How green was his money?

Not green enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top