Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:36:25 PM EDT
    I am in the market for a new  9mm pistol.  I was thinking of either the XD Tactical or the glock 17.  I am going to go look at them. I am left handed and I really like the ambi release. Which one has more accuracy and is of better quality?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#1]
XD hands down.
I carry the 9mm SC

The GLock Kool Aid is strong on this board.

IBTP.

IB Napolean Tanerite as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say it depends on what feels good in your hand.  I really like the XD and am glad it has the few extra features that the Glock does not.  Others feel differently about that.  XD is less expensive too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Beretta 92... my leftie friends love it becaouse of the big controls and the ambi safety.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Beretta 92... my leftie friends love it becaouse of the big controls and the ambi safety.

Too pricey for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
XD hands down.

/\
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I actualy got rid of my XD compact recently and decided to go with the Glock line. The XD was nice but I felt the Glock fit me better as far as size and feel. Everyone is going to have there own personal opinion, but as some will say, go try them both out, hold them, and choose the one you feel more comfortable with.  My hand loves my Glock 30 and Glock 26. I just never could get used to the XD, besides the fact the sub compact model was far from accurate.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I actualy got rid of my XD compact recently and decided to go with the Glock line. The XD was nice but I felt the Glock fit me better as far as size and feel. Everyone is going to have there own personal opinion, but as some will say, go try them both out, hold them, and choose the one you feel more comfortable with.  My hand loves my Glock 30 and Glock 26. I just never could get used to the XD, besides the fact the sub compact model was far from accurate.

really?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Definately the XD.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too pricey for me.

you actually can pick up a new one for the price of a glock (~500)

they're readily available, and the mags are cheap
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both an XD and a Glock 17.  I bought the XD first.  If I had bought the G17 originally I would have never wasted the money on the XD.  Amongst the niggling details I experienced with the XD are poor finish (like it was painted with black magic marker), rust speckling on the grip safety as well as the upper slide, sub par accuracy, and most importantly I've experienced 3-4 light strikes with good ammo in about 750 rnds.  I have experienced none of those problems with the G17.  Your milege may vary.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really?

I had the exact opposite expeience, which simply shows that you're best off trying both and getting what works for you. Personal fit is everythng.

That said, I love my XD. An instructor recently suggested that I switch back to a Glock, so I rented a 17 at the range and did a side by side comparison. The XD simply shoots better for me. A good friend found that the Glock was better for him.

As far as accuracy goes, the sub is more accurate than the majority of shooters using it.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The sub compact was not accurate or you are not accurate with the sub compact

I love when someone says that Such and Such gun is sooooo inaccurate.........when the fact is they are not accurate with the particular gun.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a Glock fan...but the best bet would be if you could find a range where you could rent both and decide after shooting them  Or talk your buddy into buying one first and trying it out.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#14]
A buddy of mine who is a lefty bought an XD and loves it. He was the one who convinced me to buy an XD. Affordable, reliable, accurate and very comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Kimber or Sig

HH
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
thaey are both decent?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I in contrast went the other direction and got rid of my Glock in favor of the XD as my stateside duty weapon.  Both are excellent choices however.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I am also a southpaw, and I have the HS2000 (same gun before SA got in the game and upped the price).  The Glock just didn't fit my hand as well.  The ambi mag release isn't an issue for me since I use my finger to release on the left side.  The best thing to do is to shoot both and see which one is better for you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#19]
i voted for the XD
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The sub compact was not accurate or you are not accurate with the sub compact

I love when someone says that Such and Such gun is sooooo inaccurate.........when the fact is they are not accurate with the particular gun.  

IMO it was indeed the gun. I had let others fire it and everyone had the same thought. the gun sucked.  It sat in my safe most of the time I had it. Dunno if it was just mine or what but I was less than pleased with its accuracy. I own a HK Tac, a G30, and a G26 now and havent had a single complaint about them.  I can shoot any of the three and hit what I aim at. I had a Para Warthog which was indeed accurate but the damn thing would FTF nearly every thrid round. Sent it to para and it still had issues so I traded the jam-omatic towards one of my Glocks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Only your hands can give you the answer to this question.

For me, the Glock does not fit well, point well, and I despise the cap-pistol feel of the trigger. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#22]
How nice is th beretta?  Will it still decapitate you?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Kimber or Sig

HH

Or Hk or Ruger
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#24]
XD for me as a leftie. I cannot push the slide release on the Glock down.  But alot depends on the individual. try , as has been suggested.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Kimber or Sig

HH

Unless Sig makes a model with the decocker on the right side then I would go with the DAK though between the Glock and XD, I would choose Glock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#26]
USP
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#27]
regardless of preference,,,,carry the one thats gonna save your azz,the one that you fire ,feel comfortable with and you Trust it,,,,,because it's your Shootin Buddie Thats the One
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I have to go Glock for a daily carry gun--if only for the Tenifer process that is superior in corrosion resistance to anything on the XD.  

I've had far too many bad experiences with handguns rusting.  I need a carry gun that will stand up to being dunked in snow, water, living in my car, and not being treated very well.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#29]

6 of 1, half-a-dozen of the other.

very similar pistols, each have their own unique +'s, but they are very similar. shoot a friend's, then decide.

FWIW: i have two of each and i love them all.

ETA: remember, you can get 33rd. glock 18 mags for your G17.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Id go with an HK if you are lefty.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#31]

either is a good choice, Glock mags are plentiful & cheap though

get what "fits" you best
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Definitely the XD.  Bonus points for the stainless steel model, because they're dead sexy.  Chicks dig stainless steel.

-James
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Are you talking about "The Made in Croatia" XD?  

Anyone who is more enlightened with this, can you care to explain why Springfield had this gun built in Croatia & not in the good 'ol USA?  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#34]
since you are left handed, i would lean to the XD

righthanded: definitly Glock
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#35]
I got both, g 22 and xd 40
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Are you talking about "The Made in Croatia" XD?  

Anyone who is more enlightened with this, can you care to explain why Springfield had this gun built in Croatia & not in the good 'ol USA?  

Because it was invented by the Croatians

Whats the problem with that?  My XD 9 is well made and finely machined . . . much smoother and nicer than my G19.

The new XD's are getting a Melonite finish that is very similar to the Glock Tennifer.  One more reason to consider the XD.

If you want a plastic gun that you will probably NOT accessorize, get an XD.  If you like to monkey with the innards and add crap, get a Glock.

Both are fine weapons and I;ve never experience a failure with either.  

XD Pluses -
1.  Fits hand far far far far better than the Glock
2.  More metal parts - no shitty ass plastic trigger
3.  Better trigger pull - less mush
4.  Metal sights out of the box
5.  Stainless mags
6.  The XD 45 is f$%king AMAZING . . . 14 rounds of 45 that fits in the hands of a normal person

Glock pluses -
1.  Way more aftermarket stuff
2.  Lower bore axis (less muzzle rise)
3.  Superior finish (for now)
4.  Lots of aftermarket parts
5.  Slightly lighter and thinner all around - the XD slide stop stick out a bit
6.  Much shorter trigger reset
7.  Its available in 10MM

Try both and take your pick, bro.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Whichever one you shoot better. I don't like the feel of glocks and don't shoot them well. They are good guns though. I really like XDs. They fit my hand well and are plenty accurate. I can put five rounds in one .5" hole from 25 feet. Even the subcompacts are accurate. They have rails, so you can put uber tactical lights and lasers on them as well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

6 of 1, half-a-dozen of the other.

very similar pistols, each have their own unique +'s, but they are very similar. shoot a friend's, then decide.

FWIW: i have two of each and i love them all.

ETA: remember, you can get 33rd. glock 18 mags for your G17.

I can get 30s for the xd too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#39]
I have owned many Glocks and still own a bunch.  I also own an XD 9mm.

Both are fine firearms and which is better, is entirely a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I have owned many Glocks and still own a bunch.  I also own an XD 9mm.

Both are fine firearms and which is better, is entirely a matter of personal preference.

Absolutely spot on.

I've owned both.  MY preference is the Glock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The new XD's are getting a Melonite finish that is very similar to the Glock Tennifer.  One more reason to consider the XD.

6.  The XD 45 is f$%king AMAZING . . . 14 rounds of 45 that fits in the hands of a normal person

Disconnector

And those are the reasons I may purchase an XD again one day.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Is the 5 more accurate than the 4 incher for Practical Pistol?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#43]
They're both exceptional firearms.  The Glock has proven itself over a greater period of time than the HS2000/XD, this really can't be countered.  I really like the addition of the backstrap safety on the XD and it fits my hand more comfortably than anything else I've fired.  Shooting a .40 XD feels like shooting other 9mm handguns to me.

I own a 4" XD40.  I personally say that if you're trying to choose between a Glock and an XD then you're best served by renting both in the caliber you prefer and sending a few hundred rounds downrange with them.

IIRC the XDs are known for not having the most resilient finish around.  You can always send the slide off to be refinished, but if you plan on doing so you should add the increased cost of it to a side by side comparison of the Glock.  You can always go stainless instead, too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
They're both exceptional firearms.  The Glock has proven itself over a greater period of time than the HS2000/XD, this really can't be countered.  I really like the addition of the backstrap safety on the XD and it fits my hand more comfortably than anything else I've fired.  Shooting a .40 XD feels like shooting other 9mm handguns to me.

I own a 4" XD40.  I personally say that if you're trying to choose between a Glock and an XD then you're best served by renting both in the caliber you prefer and sending a few hundred rounds downrange with them.

IIRC the XDs are known for not having the most resilient finish around.  You can always send the slide off to be refinished, but if you plan on doing so you should add the increased cost of it to a side by side comparison of the Glock.  You can always go stainless instead, too.

the backstrap safety, has it ever failed?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I have an XD .40 4" and the Sub Compact in .40.  I think they are both accurate. I pick up the
little Glock at a gun show 3 weeks ago and I felt like it would slip out of my hand if I fired it.  My buddy thought the same thing.  I took my daughter ( 16 ) to the range and she shot the 3"  well
enough to Head shoot the bad guy and not hit the hostage.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an XD .40 4" and the Sub Compact in .40.  I think they are both accurate. I pick up the
little Glock at a gun show 3 weeks ago and I felt like it would slip out of my hand if I fired it.  My buddy thought the same thing.  I took my daughter ( 16 ) to the range and she shot the 3"  well

How accurate is the beretta?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how accurate are you?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Put about 1000 rounds thru a Glock 19 and a XD9 (sub-compact) today. I have had my G19 sine 1992, so I shoot it well, but the XD is very nice. The XD does feel a little bit better in my hand. Shoots well and the recoil wasnt bad.

If you are a leftie then I would get the XD, but they are both fine handguns.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how accurate are you?

ok. I am fairly decent actually. 2 1/2 groups at 20 yards.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Buy the Glock or go for a used Sig... stay away from that Croatian made POS.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top