Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 4:37:45 PM EDT
Why do Marines hate this movie?

My old health teacher was well he still is a Marine and I see him in the weight room and I asked him if he saw it and he said yes and he didn't like it. Never got to ask him which part he didn't like.
He did like the movie Full-Metal Jacket.

A lot of people said it made Marines look like assholes. Well I don't think you need a movie to do that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
A lot of people said it made Marines look like assholes. Well I don't think you need a movie to do that.

IBTL
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
because he apparently was a whiny little bitch, a "the military ruined my life" type and the Marines are anything but that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
nooooooooooooooooo please jeebus not another jarhead thread!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
IBLT
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
IBTL

ONNTSA!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My old health teacher was well he still is a Marine and I see him in the weight room and I asked him if he saw it and he said yes and he didn't like it. Never got to ask him which part he didn't like.
He did like the movie Full-Metal Jacket.

A lot of people said it made Marines look like assholes. Well I don't think you need a movie to do that.[/quote]

You are the ass hole

PJ
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]
IBLT??

I before the bacon lettuce and tomato??

The movie was super homo-erotic and there was no action (gunplay, not gay shit)

Gay and boring
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
because he apparently was a whiny little bitch, a "the military ruined my life" type and the Marines are anything but that.

No he said he loved being in the marines and he said that after high school everyone should be forced to do atleast two years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IBTL

ONNTSA!

What the hell does ONNTSA mean?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
IBTL

ONNTSA!

what the fuck are you saying

I really don't like you Napoleon you've been here not even  1/2 the time I have but you have more then double the posts.

There should be a limit to like 50 a day.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Oh No Not This Shit Again

this is like the 3rd "why do people hate Jarhead" threads in the past 2 weeks.  i wouldnt call them dupes, but they're all pretty similar
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
ibtl

I've never seen it
My wife liked it
It sucked
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is like the 3rd "why do people hate Jarhead" threads in the past 2 weeks.  i wouldnt call them dupes, but they're all pretty similar

have you even been here 2 weeks?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTL

ONNTSA!

what the fuck are you saying

I really don't like you Napoleon you've been here not even  1/2 the time I have but you have more then double the posts.

There should be a limit to like 50 a day.

Maybe he's calling YOU the asshole in "Windtalker" code.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't see the movie, but I read the book.

Swofford is a whining pussy who seemed unable to fit in well in the Marine Corps. He seems to blame the Marine Corps for everything that hasn't gone well for him in his life, while bragging about being a shitbird.

Reading his story reminds you of the stories of guys that spent months in heavy combat and came back changed for the worse. Except Swofford never mentions any combat in his book. He simply chose to associate with the biggest fuckups he could find.

Nevermind the fact that he tells military urban legends as if they had happened to him, even though they have been floating around the Marine Corps since before his grandfather was born.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTL

ONNTSA!

To paraphrase:

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

i've actually been here since december, but changed names..... as for the post whoring... well that just happens
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Only the lifer types do

It is a good movie IMO
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I just watched this tonight...........It wasn't the best Marine movire, but not the worst either......I was expecting something totally different though.......but there wasn't much Marine Corps action in the 1st Gulf War, maybe we need a movie about the Race to Baghdad between the Army and the Marines in 2003......that would be interesting.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Marines arnt exactly like that wussie kid???WTF?Relax Francis.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#21]
MAKE IT STOP!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Active USMC 1982 - 1986

I've seen it, didn't read the book so I can only comment on the movie. The movie was so so as entertainment. It did however depict pretty accurately what Marines are like. You have career Marines (the Staff Sgt.) you have lifers, the asshole Major. You have leaders, the Regimental CO. You have malcontents, the Texas boy who was bitching about fighting for oil and refused to talk to the reporters. You have fucking dumbass psychos like the knuckledhead who was playing with the dead raghead. You have the immature, easily manipulated  followers, the kid who took the Christmas eve watch and set the Humvee on fire. You have some good solid Marines who love the Corps, the Cpl. who got turned down for re enlistment. You have guys who are making themselves a better life, the hispanic Marines. You have the guys who have no idea why the joined the Corps, the main character.

The depiction of fucked up or unreliable equipment, especially at critical times was pretty spot on in my experience

I never met a Marine that didn't bitch about something. Generally speaking, the more a Marine bitched, the more content and mentally stable he was. When a guy stopped bitching about everything or began focussing one only one complaint, there was real potential for a problem.

When I was in most Marines hated other Marines. The only Marines that had their shit together or that could be trusted, were your closest buddies. Everyone else was an asshole, a shitbird or fuckup. Or worse, a lifer. Airwingers hated Grunts, Grunts hated Airwingers. 03's were real Marines and hated anyone who wasn't in a rifle platoon. Recon were real Marines and hated anyone who wasn't Recon. Everyone hated M.P.'s.
Admin pukes were vile filth that fucked you over every time they audited your SRB. They took leave that you know you didn't use. They fucked up your pay. They fucked you on your cutting score. They fucked with you when you were checking in or checking out. The Career Planner should have had a bounty on his head.

Anyone who had it easier than you was a pogue which in most guys opinions was everyone but you and your best buddies.

Then suddenly it's your EAS. "Fuck the suck" you tell yourself. Only somehow, your time in the USMC has become the time of your life. Now every Marine is your brother and nobody better ever bad mouth a Marine in your presence. Now you seek out former Marines because they are the only civlians who have got their shit in one bag. Suddenly you love the suck. It's Semper Fidelis to the grave.

Oh man, you ask yourself "Why did I ever get out?"
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Active USMC 1982 - 1986

I've seen it, didn't read the book so I can only comment on the movie. The movie was so so as entertainment. It did however depict pretty accurately what Marines are like. You have career Marines (the Staff Sgt.) you have lifers, the asshole Major. You have leaders, the Regimental CO. You have malcontents, the Texas boy who was bitching about fighting for oil and refused to talk to the reporters. You have fucking dumbass psychos like the knuckledhead who was playing with the dead raghead. You have the immature, easily manipulated  followers, the kid who took the Christmas eve watch and set the Humvee on fire. You have some good solid Marines who love the Corps, the Cpl. who got turned down for re enlistment. You have guys who are making themselves a better life, the hispanic Marines. You have the guys who have no idea why the joined the Corps, the main character.

The depiction of fucked up or unreliable equipment, especially at critical times was pretty spot on in my experience

I never met a Marine that didn't bitch about something. Generally speaking, the more a Marine bitched, the more content and mentally stable he was. When a guy stopped bitching about everything or began focussing one only one complaint, there was real potential for a problem.

When I was in most Marines hated other Marines. The only Marines that had their shit together or that could be trusted, were your closest buddies. Everyone else was an asshole, a shitbird or fuckup. Or worse, a lifer. Airwingers hated Grunts, Grunts hated Airwingers. 03's were real Marines and hated anyone who wasn't in a rifle platoon. Recon were real Marines and hated anyone who wasn't Recon. Everyone hated M.P.'s.
Admin pukes were vile filth that fucked you over every time they audited your SRB. They took leave that you know you didn't use. They fucked up your pay. They fucked you on your cutting score. They fucked with you when you were checking in or checking out. The Career Planner should have had a bounty on his head.

Anyone who had it easier than you was a pogue which in most guys opinions was everyone but you and your best buddies.

Then suddenly it's your EAS. "Fuck the suck" you tell yourself. Only somehow, your time in the USMC has become the time of your life. Now every Marine is your brother and nobody better ever bad mouth a Marine in your presence. Now you seek out former Marines because they are the only civlians who have got their shit in one bag. Suddenly you love the suck. It's Semper Fidelis to the grave.

No way you could have made that up, that is excellent.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Active USMC 1982 - 1986

WOW That was... perfect!  Nice.

Intresting to note that after 10 years (Sukebe got out 10 years before I went in) the Corps is pretty much still the same.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Active USMC 1982 - 1986

I've seen it, didn't read the book so I can only comment on the movie. The movie was so so as entertainment. It did however depict pretty accurately what Marines are like. You have career Marines (the Staff Sgt.) you have lifers, the asshole Major. You have leaders, the Regimental CO. You have malcontents, the Texas boy who was bitching about fighting for oil and refused to talk to the reporters. You have fucking dumbass psychos like the knuckledhead who was playing with the dead raghead. You have the immature, easily manipulated followers, the kid who took the Christmas eve watch and set the Humvee on fire. You have some good solid Marines who love the Corps, the Cpl. who got turned down for re enlistment. You have guys who are making themselves a better life, the hispanic Marines. You have the guys who have no idea why the joined the Corps, the main character.

Damn dude.....You nailed it!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Active USMC 1982 - 1986

USMC 1981-1986

No screaming Eagle Shit!  Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top