Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 2:54:10 PM EDT
Last night I let the dog out at 1230Am, and went back to bed. The dog "knocks" at the door when she is ready to come in. About 200AM the Mrs. comes in the bedroom, and announces "Your dog got sprayed by a skunk.!, You need to do something about it.". My response was "Where is the dog..?".....and her's.."in the living room".....WTF...? I may not be the smartest man, but I know what stink is.

Dog spent the night outside. I got a recipe from the Vet that involves Peroxide, baking sode, dish soap, and on my own I added a bottle of AquaVelva. Dog now stinks of skunk and Aqua Velva. Every time the heat comes on it blows funk'o'skunk.......Suggestions...?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
tomato soup.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Too bad it is winter.  Or I would say shave.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My dog got sprayed during the summer on June 26th, she smelled untill late November, but just when she got wet. She got sprayed at 5 in the morning, and tracked it into my bedroom, what a nice smell to wake up to Peroxide soloution did not help at all, we took her to the dog groomers and they washed her in something that got rid of it pretty good, I believe it was "nature's miracle" or something like that. The smell is mostly gone, but it was the worst smell, and taste I have ever experienced.

Also don't wash it in Tomato soup, that will just make your dog smell like skunk and tomato soup, vinegar doesn't work either
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Things could have been worse...

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/porcupine1.jpg

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/porcupine2.jpg

Think he learned something ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
DAMN.!!!!! I'd rather have the stink. Poor pup. Bet that cost a few coins to fix. That's hard to look at even. "Should have seen the other guy"...?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dog now stinks of skunk and Aqua Velva. Every time the heat comes on it blows funk'o'skunk.......Suggestions...?

Check for the real forumla.

I think it is baking soda and lemon juice, or something like that.

Supposed to react with the thiols in the skunk spray to neutralize the smell.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/porcupine1.jpg

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/porcupine2.jpg

Think he learned something ?

hopefully not to fuck with porcupines at least!

that looks like more than one shot tho.  did he EAT the damn thing?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dog now stinks of skunk and Aqua Velva. Every time the heat comes on it blows funk'o'skunk.......Suggestions...?

Check for the real forumla.

I think it is baking soda and lemon juice, or something like that.

Supposed to react with the thiols in the skunk spray to neutralize the smell.

I have an actual recipe, but "SuperSized" it to fit my needs.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Shave him down.

Then coat him in V8 and lemon juice (1 hour minimum).

Followed this with a liberal dousing of olive oil.  (2 hours minimum)

Use a strong detergent to get the olive oil off.

Follow with baking soda and water as a paste (1 hour).

Then do it all again if the stink is still there.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a 110 lb Doberman that gets "hit" at least once a year.  We keep a large can of tomato juice on hand always.  Put him in the tub and go to work with tomato juice.  Soak him thoroughly, rub in and let sit for a few minutes.  Rinse and shampoo with regular pet shampoo.  Towel dry.  This really takes care of it.  Everytime!!  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#13]
more info:

The main ingrediants to look for are hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, etc.

The main thing is the peroxide.  The reaction with the other chemicals releases free oxygen.
Not molecular oxygen (O2) but free oxygen (O) which is pretty reactive, and will combine
with the Thiols in the skunk oil.  

Using a little dish soap will allow the mixture to penetrate the dog's fur and oils, and help get to
the smell.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
DAMN.!!!!! I'd rather have the stink. Poor pup. Bet that cost a few coins to fix. That's hard to look at even. "Should have seen the other guy"...?

At least the pup came out of it better than the critter in your avatar.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn, I can empathize...several years ago I had two mini-dachs get sprayed.  One of the dogs made it into the house before we realized what happened.  Everything smelled of polecat.

Spent the evening scrubbing down the dogs with tomato juice to get the immediate smell off; we had to put up with the smell in the house for a few weeks before it all wore off.

No fun at all...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Step one...Defunk the dog. Step two....Kill the source. I'd be way pissed to clean this mutt all afternoon just to let it go out and get it again....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#17]
my lab got sprayed about 2 weeks ago.   wife left her go out about 5 am... she came back in and climbed in bed with ME    2 quarts of tomato juice got rid of most of it.  then some dog shampoo then all we had was wet dog odor
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Step one...Defunk the dog. Step two....Kill the source. I'd be way pissed to clean this mutt all afternoon just to let it go out and get it again....

I've posted in the past regarding skunk erradication.  

Some people say if you shoot them in the head, they won't spray.
Others say if you shoot them in the head, their brain causes a full body release, and it will spray,
and that you should only shoot them in their center of mass.
Let  me tell you that after shooting a total of 10 skunks, in every imaginable location,
there is no place you can hit them where they won't spray.

Skunks are attracted to tuna more than leftover beef or pork.
And the additional benefit of the smell of tuna carrying farther makes it the best choice
for bait.  

Unlike cats, raccoons, and oppossums, which will take a lethal shot and not know it
until they've run and hid under your favorite building, skunks are pretty easy to dispatch.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Unlike cats, raccoons, and oppossums, which will take a lethal shot and not know it
until they've run and hid under your favorite building, skunks are pretty easy to dispatch.  

You must not be using enough gun, all that should be left is a crater. You should know this by now!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#20]
They had what works on mythbusters, but I sure as hell can't remember what it was.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must not be using enough gun, all that should be left is a crater. You should know this by now!

Sorry, you are right.

I should have qualified my statement by saying that I was using a wimpy little .22 LR.

Had I used a M119 Howitzer, even a cat would have dropped in it's tracks with little twitching.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#22]
do you think the dog is broken from chasing porkies?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, my dog rolled around on a rotting deer carcass for two days, and then got sprayed by a skunk the night before we were going to give him a bath. He's a big German Shepherd with lots of fur, so grooming isn't easy. I soaked him down with the hose, and lathered him up with baby shampoo, and then had him chase the ball into the pond a few times out back. That sort of worked, but then it rained that night and I saw my chance. Schultze got thrown out in the pouring rain because we couldn't stand the smell of him anymore. Poor guy. The next morning he was starting to smell like his usual musky self again. Now if we could only do something about his breath and gas problem he'd be ready for dinner with the queen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top