Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 2:47:52 PM EDT
Hivemind

I have a tree in my back yard that needs to be topped and to have a limb removed. The tree is leaning towards my house and there is a limb over the house too.

We had a guy com out and look at it. He said could do it for $800.00. He would chip the limbs and leave it in the yard.

We found him in the telephone book. It says that he is state certified and insured for 1 million dollars.

What else should I look for when hiring someone to do this? How do I know that he is nto bullshitting me about the insurance?

Is that price too low?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you want the tree to eventually fall on your house I recommend that you don't have it topped.  Topping a tree will all most always cause rot to enter the tree, weakening the trunk.  Removing limbs is fine but topping is bad.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Unless you want the tree to eventually fall on your house I recommend that you don't have it topped.  Topping a tree will all most always cause rot to enter the tree, weakening the trunk.  Removing limbs is fine but topping is bad.

So topping the tree will kill it?

How much experience with trees do you have?

Is it an excepted practice that topping the tree will kill it?

The tree is growing at a 45 degree leaning up hill towards my house.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that there is a wide disparity in estimates for this kind of work. Just today, I had a large maple in our back yard trimmed to remove large (12-18" diameter) branches over the house and garage, a lot of dead and dying stuff and add cables to shore up a couple of other places. Estimates ran from $2,000 for just removing the 2 branches that I wanted gone to $700 for the complete work package described above. The estimate included my choice of the wood sawed into 18" lengths and stacked for my fireplace, or completely removed from my premises.

I don't know how to answer your insurance question, but my advise is get plenty of estimates and talk to the people while they are estimating. Talk to enough of them and you can get a feel for who is BSing and who is not.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So topping the tree will kill it?

Not immediately, and it might heal ok, but topping a tree creates undo stress and allows pathagens to enter and cause rot.
Link  2nd Link

How much experience with trees do you have?

I have a BS in Industrial Forestry from Virginia Tech

Is it an excepted practice that topping the tree will kill it?

Like I said, it might not kill it, but why risk it?

The tree is growing at a 45 degree leaning up hill towards my house.

call a certified arborist to do it and not some hack with a saw
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I think Arbor day is pretty soon.  Those guys should be out in droves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top