Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2001 12:35:34 PM EDT
Anyone listen to classical music?  I don't.  I listen to heavy metal.  Anyway, I want to burn a CD with a lot of classic stuff on it- not gay stuff, or opera.  I need a list of classical tunes that sound ominous.  You know, the kind of stuff that they play over the war scenes on this history channel.  I was watching a documentary on the Russian invasion of Berlin and the classical tunes they played were awesome.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a rocker to, but not metal.

Hard to go wrong with Wagner, Handel, Prokofiev, Mussogorsky (try [i]Swan Lake[/i],
Ravel, some Bach, Beethoven.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll check them out.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
what is the name of that tool song, is it harry man back?????thats a good one
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My musical taste ranges from metal to classical. As for classical I like Bach's Harpsicord pieces the best. Bach, Wagner, and Beethoven has some good pieces that might interest you. Glad you started this subject. I have been wondering about a piano piece they play alot on the show Wings of the Luftwaffe that used to be on the Discovery Channel and History Channel. It was kind of ominous. If anyone knows the one I'm talking about let me know.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out a band called Apocalyptica, classical type band with 4 cello (I think) players. The frist CD is all Metallica covers and the second Cd is a mix of Metallica, Pantera, Sepultera and a few others along with a few originals. Some of the Metallica covers will be exactly what you are looking for, Harvester of Sorrow is a lot darker than the original along with Battery. The standouts are probably the covers of Nothing Else Matters, Fade to Black, and Puppets.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Hiya, Tool -

I think if you open your mind a bit you'll find some really cool classical stuff out there.  
[People do look at me funny when I get outta my truck at the gas station... NRA & Bush sticker on the bumper, and me wearing boots - and listening classical on the radio.  But f*ck'em -I'm into compound political incorrectness.]

I was brought up in a sick & twisted fashion, piano lessons, etc so classical music is what I usu have on.  I am not too big on opera myself (except for some Germanic stuff - Wagner & Richard Strauss.). Most of what I listen to is piano & chamber music, esp while I work - and the big "blood & guts" symphonies of Brahms, Beethoven, Schubert, Mahler.

Remember the movie Apocalypse Now - the "helicopter music"? That's Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries".  The music you heard on the TV show  w/the Russian invasion of Berlin (and in other shows w/ Russian tank movements) is from Prokofiev's "Romeo & Juliet". [No, it's not an opera - just a collection of orchestral pieces called a 'suite'.]

For the mode you're in, I think you'll love Brahms Symphony #1 - esp the 1st movement.

And you can't go wrong with (Gustav) Mahler. (only in the last 40+ years has he gained popular stature up there with the 'big boys' like Brahms, Beethoven, Schubert. He was originally mostly noted for his conducting of the N.Y. Philharmonic in early 1900s.)  This man just *knows* how to use his horns... Symphony #1 ("The Titan") - 4th movement has a lot of, shall we say, airflow.  I can't get enough of his Symphony #2 (esp first movement) or Symphony #5 (whatta intro) - and his Symphony #6 is phenomenal - don't drive with it on or you'll be really revved up.  [I was pulled over once by CHP for "conducting" while driving.  No ticket, but the poor doofus was puzzled.]

The only advantage I can think of living near San Francisco is that they have a good symphony orchestra (after you weed out the modernistic freak music written by Ph.D's).  And Thomas (the conductor) plays a lot of Mahler & Brahms.
About the only thing in the city worth driving in for - except, perhaps for the House of Prime Rib. ;-)]

Music like this grows on you. It's not for those in a vegetative state. (Which is why I'm a carnivore ;-)

-Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
try these:
mussorgski's "night on bald mountain",
orff's "carmina burana", several good pieces there.
holst's "the planets", especially "mars"
dvorak's "isle of the dead".
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!  Especially BWeise
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't you know, I was beaten to the punch by Lurker -

Carl Orff's [i][b]Carmina Burana[/b][/i] (1937) has some extremely dark and heavy pieces in it, the best probably being [i]O' Fortuna[/i], which is also the most well known.

If you've ever seen the 1981 film [i]Excalibur[/i], with Nicol Williamson playing the part of a very interesting Merlin, then you have heard the tune in it's best setting - dark and mysterious.

Eric The(WouldBeFilmCritic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I am getting too old or something, I am getting to like classical music too.  I got start in college when I took a music appreciation class.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm willing to check them all out, however, I would like to know if there is a Mp3 site that caters to classical and is FREE, so I don't hafto spend good rifle money on music...
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Satcong- I'm having great luck with Morpheus.  You can download it at www.musiccity.com

I like it better than Napster when Napster was good.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Ride of the Valkries and 1812 Overture.

Link Posted: 8/14/2001 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#14]
BACH - Tocatta and Fugue

BEETHOVEN - 5th and 9th Symphonies

Fur Elise

MOZART - Eine Kleine Nacht Muzik

Moonlight Sonata

Requiem

TCHAIOVSKI - 1812 Overture

WAGNER - Ride of The Valkries
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Satcong- I'm having great luck with Morpheus.  You can download it at www.musiccity.com

I like it better than Napster when Napster was good.
View Quote

Tool, thanks for the heads up on Morpheus.

See my thread in this board on Lime Wire.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]BEETHOVEN[/B] is the ultimate Master!!!

However, for an adaptation of [b]MUSSORGSKY[/B] with a Rock & Roll attitude, Try [b]EMERSON LAKE & PALMERS[/B] "PICTURES OF AN EXHIBITION" !!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 1:13:39 AM EDT
[#18]
A lot of good recomendations there.
one you should add to your list is:
Verdi: Requiem ( i clearly remember hearing this on a few documentaries)
also Rutter: Requiem is my favorite requiem mass but it is more intimate, though it does have its more gut wrenching moments(outside of the spiritual).
Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker believe it or not has a lot of good music(duh) that would be good for a battle scene or rough victory scene(such as the movement before dance of the sugar plum fairy; is awesome).
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I am a down right rock-n-roller but there are time that when I am tired and needed to relax, a piece of classical music gave me an awesome feeling. Bach and Vivaldi are my favorites. I like Baroque the most.  Cannon by Pechebel is great and specially in many different variation tune.
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#20]
orginally posted by Lurker:
try these:
mussorgski's "night on bald mountain",
orff's "carmina burana", several good pieces there.
holst's "the planets", especially "mars"
dvorak's "isle of the dead".{/quote]

very good ones.  If you get Holst's Planets check out the cover that Tomita did of them. His version of Mars kicks a$$
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#21]
ozzy, preist, iron maden, arnt those the classics?
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm an ex-BM/DM addict....anyways,......

Carl Orff's Carmina Burana is great.O'fortuna is a classic.

Mozart Requiem. He has my favorite my Dies Irae. Got to love this, Mozart was dying when he composed this requiem. First hand experience!!  Vivaldi has some pretty violent Die Irae as well.  Both are good.

Bach's germany requiem is of a different mode, less emphasis on the theme of "fear and death". Great music for reading.

One of my favorite band is Elend from Austria, which is on Nation for Music now.  This is the stuff that you should listen to when you girl friend ditches you/your boss fires you.  Make your depressing day even more depressing.  Streams of English and Latin lyrics in chorus and crazy screaming that spew the hatred for God , yada yada
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey Tool,
If you understand some classical music, look for some PDQ Bach songs.  It is all comedy about classical music, from the repetitive notes with the whole ochestra taking a breath, to pop guns instead of cannons.

Other than that, try some Chopin.

Ice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top