Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 12:24:56 PM EDT
Anyone notice the abundance of inexpensive O/U's and SxS's lately. Seems all the major American Firearms makers are offering models made elsewhere. The only problems I see, are for long term ownership. Which companies will have made enough of them that parts will be available?

M4-AK
proud Baikal owner
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm still hundreds of $$ ahead over buying a comparable B gun.

...and you don't mind actually using it in the field and getting it dirty.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty dang pleased with my Verona 20ga O/U.  If memory serves they cost just a bit more than Baikal's (I got it as an excellent gift).  It's pretty but I don't mind trudging through muck and berry bushes with it.  A little lighter than the Baikal's I checked out too.

Believe it's an aluminum reciever.  Has some nice engraving and a bit o' gold on it to pick out the grouse and woodcock.  The wood is real pretty but came untreated except for the stain.  I liked the matte look so I'm just having to gussy it up with linseed oil after a hard day's draggin it through brambles.

The trigger, selector and the breakopen lever (whatever it's called) are made from just plain steel though, so they did rust on me when I was hunting in the rain...but it's nothing a bit of TLC can't clean back in the cabin.

I believe they are imported by the same company that imports the Baikals.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have two Baikal / Spartans and a Khan.  Neither company is going away anytime soon as both are now imported by major domestic brands.  I gotta say, both guns are built strongly and both work well.  I would reccomend either to anyone wanting a strong gun that will go the distance but not cost the $$$.  The only complaint I have with either is that the baikal is a bit too cast off for me as it comes from the factory.  I sent it out this morning for a good professional stock bending.  Once done though, even with the added cost of smithering, I'm still hundreds of $$ ahead over buying a comparable B gun.

You got the O/U's are SxS's?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]
CZ's line of O/U's seem to have quite a few good reviews.  I'm thinking of getting a Redhead CZ Shotguns

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Where to get an inexpensive, short side-by-side in 12 ga?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]

I just bought  CZ Bobwhite which is a sxs 20 gauge with screw in chokes. I grew up hunting borrowed Parkers and like double barrels. I plan on bagging a lot of bushytails with it this fall. It is light and very pretty. I wish I had bought a Parker repro when they were cheap! I turned my nose up at Jap Parkers. Dumbass!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

www.galleryofguns.com

Spartangunworks sp220 and sp210

Remington/Baikal
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Stoeger coach guns are good. I had one in 12 Gauge for awhile, I think I paid 300 for it new. I dont have it anymore though, I dont many chances to shoot shotguns, so I sold it to fund something that would get more use.

ETA for link: Stoeger Coach Guns
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#11]
what do y'all think of Stoeger coach guns?

www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/coach.tpl

ETA: DOH Just saw your post RIA!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
what do y'all think of Stoeger coach guns?

www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/coach.tpl

ETA: DOH Just saw your post RIA!

www.shotgunworld.com

forums

They have a baikal spartan forum and a stoeger forum.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Actually, The Veronas are Irizzini guns.  They were imported by BC outdoors.  Now Savage is starting to import the I Rizzini, not to be confused with B Rizzini which is different and were imported by Sig.  Nice guns indeed.  They are light weight field models.  They are finished better than the baikals but as noted are lighter.  They also cost a bit more.  I think closer to the $800 to $1k mark, some higher.  

I believe last time I looked at the model number I verified that it was one of the ~$800-$1000 models...though it being a gift I didn't look too closely.  It's locked in my father's safe up in the country as I've not got a safe in my apartment.  I just keep the guns I might need to use here.  Certainly the Verona my more costly than a $500 Baikal, but definatly not as costly as many of the O/Us I've seen at the range.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Remington is going to sell some mid priced italian O/U's this year. Made by Sabatti in Italy. This will augment the Baikals and their own 332 O/U.  It's a fine time to buy a classic over under or side by side. One day we'll wonder how we let those good buys slip past us.

I understand Charles Daly has found a great line of Turkish guns for this year that they claim are a great value due to labor costs and currency devaluations.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#15]
www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=70842

Pro's and Con's on the direction of Remington with their new Italian and Russian guns.

I love my Spartan O/U .

M4-AK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top