Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 10:50:02 AM EDT
This is one traffic habbit that really pisses me off. Even more so then the super-aggresive passers, tailgaters, etc. It is the lane-change ambusher. It's kind of hard to explain unless it's happened to you. I've never seen anyone do this until I moved to Virignia.

What happens is this. Say you are driving on an expressway during moderate to heavy traffic. The lane you are currently in is moving at normal highway speed, 65-75 mph. You are following the next car at a respectable, safe distance. You can't see over the car in front of  you though because it is a big SUV or truck and you are in a sedan. Suddenly, the car in front of you swerves into the next lane, revealing that the next car in front of him is stopped, due to congested traffic or whatever. You, being a safe driver, only have the option of also swerving lanes, possibly clipping another car because you don't have enough time to look over your shoulder, or slam on your brakes and hope you don't rear end the stopped car within 200 ft.

It just pisses me off so much when idiots do this because it is so intentional. They purposefully avoid pressing on their brakes so you have no clue that there is an obstruction ahead until it is too late. This has been happening to me a lot lately and it just makes me steaming mad. I am driving defensively at a reasonable highway speed with a good following distance, yet keep getting screwed over by these ambushers. Grr!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have ever driven through Spaghetti Junction in Louisville you will appreciate this practice as an art form.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Had it happen to me. I also hate when they wait till the very last fucking second to brake to not hit the car in front of them. You have to just brake fast and hope you don't hear tires break free behind you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen it around Chicago as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You, being a safe driver, only have the option of also swerving lanes, possibly clipping another car because you don't have enough time to look over your shoulder, or slam on your brakes and hope you don't rear end the stopped car within 200 ft.

It just pisses me off so much when idiots do this because it is so intentional.

legally, 99% of the time you rear end someone, it is YOUR fault.   It would be your fault in this instance also.   You were following someone that blocked your view ahead of you and you still drove to fast for the conditions.

sorry, but true
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You, being a safe driver, only have the option of also swerving lanes, possibly clipping another car because you don't have enough time to look over your shoulder, or slam on your brakes and hope you don't rear end the stopped car within 200 ft.

legally, 99% of the time you rear end someone, it is YOUR fault.   It would be your fault in this instance also.   You were following someone that blocked your view ahead of you and you still drove to fast for the conditions.

sorry, but true

in other words, other people's irresponsible driving does not negate your responsibility to drive safely.

and yeah, i think they are accidents waiting to happen, a dead weight on the insurance industry and therefor affect me, and asshat drivers.   But if you hit(rearend) someone, it is your fault.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry, but true

while legally that is probably true, rationally it should not be. If I was driving a loaded truck and the tiny geo metro in front of me slammed on his brakes as hard as he could, and also used his e-brakes as well, even if I was the perfect driver with excellent reaction time, I would not be able to stop in time to avoid rear ending him. If the driver in front of you inexplicably comes to a screeching halt, it is his fault. This is a similar situation I think, it is the fault of the person in front of you for rear ending the next car, because they were driving eratically.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry, but true

in other words, other people's irresponsible driving does not negate your responsibility to drive safely.

and yeah, i think they are accidents waiting to happen, a dead weight on the insurance industry and therefor affect me, and asshat drivers.   But if you hit(rearend) someone, it is your fault.

I agree, my point is though that even if you are driving responsibly, if another driver actively tries to make you get into an accident, they can, and then it should not be your fault.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#8]
we have a different kind of "lane change ambusher down here"...  the LCA in Texas is a soccermm or illegal alien(with no insurance or license).  they regularly swerve into the lane next to them without looking to see if there's a car in the next lane.  as a result, anyone who happens to be next to one of these LCA's either endeds up in the shoulder or they end up getting sideswiped.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#9]
You can keep dreaming on that one. Nobody can sucker me into rear ending something in front of me.  There are alot of stupid drivers, I just don't get sucked into their games..
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#10]
even with your loaded truck vs. the geo metro, it is still your fault.   You were following to closely for how your vehicle was loaded.    at least that is always what the policemen i have talked to said, maybe on of the traffic guys could explain it better.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This is one traffic habbit that really pisses me off. Even more so then the super-aggresive passers, tailgaters, etc. It is the lane-change ambusher. It's kind of hard to explain unless it's happened to you. I've never seen anyone do this until I moved to Virignia.

What happens is this. Say you are driving on an expressway during moderate to heavy traffic. The lane you are currently in is moving at normal highway speed, 65-75 mph. You are following the next car at a respectable, safe distance. You can't see over the car in front of  you though because it is a big SUV or truck and you are in a sedan. Suddenly, the car in front of you swerves into the next lane, revealing that the next car in front of him is stopped, due to congested traffic or whatever. You, being a safe driver, only have the option of also swerving lanes, possibly clipping another car because you don't have enough time to look over your shoulder, or slam on your brakes and hope you don't rear end the stopped car within 200 ft.

It just pisses me off so much when idiots do this because it is so intentional. They purposefully avoid pressing on their brakes so you have no clue that there is an obstruction ahead until it is too late. This has been happening to me a lot lately and it just makes me steaming mad. I am driving defensively at a reasonable highway speed with a good following distance, yet keep getting screwed over by these ambushers. Grr!

thats life in the big city, try not to follow too closely and hope that everybody else does not dive in front of you in the big gap you've left...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
we have a different kind of "lane change ambusher down here"...  the LCA in Texas is a soccermm or illegal alien(with no insurance or license).  they regularly swerve into the lane next to them without looking to see if there's a car in the next lane.  as a result, anyone who happens to be next to one of these LCA's either endeds up in the shoulder or they end up getting sideswiped.

everybody does this because everybodies allways got something on their mind that distracts then, even if its for just a split second, and thats all iot takes to change lanes...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are you serious ? If so watch out, everyone is out to get you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious ? If so watch out, everyone is out to get you.

well that, or they are blind, or talking on a cell phone, or watching a dvd, etc.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't get it. Your mad because the driver in front of you read the situation, reacted and went on about his way and you were left to brake because you were following too close?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
even with your loaded truck vs. the geo metro, it is still your fault.   You were following to closely for how your vehicle was loaded.    at least that is always what the policemen i have talked to said, maybe on of the traffic guys could explain it better.

Not always true.  I had one of these exact deals happen to me.  I had a car with a small trailer on the back.  It was just starting to rain so I backed off the truck in front, I had about 6 car lengths at 40 mph.  The truck in front was one of those delivery type trucks.  Suddenly for no apparent reason just over the crest of the hill he swerved into the left lane having never touched his brakes and left me with a car ahead, not slowing due to traffic, but at a dead stop.  There was NO possible way to make my vechicle stop in time to avoid a standing stopped vehicle.  My car was destroyed.  Hit in front and on the side from other vehicles slamming into this disaster.

The police arrived and issued no ticket to myself.  The accident was written up as unaviodable.  That changed nothing (nor should it) on my insurance paying for it because I did hit someone, so who else should pay?  There is a difference in driving responcibly and be flawless.  The police there at the scene seemed to understand it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#17]
You be following too closely.  Yes, you will ignore this.  You will think the cop is wrong after you back end someone and get a ticket.   You might even get sued for a whiplash injury or childrens injuries, and will lose.  Yes ignore this and continue to follow too closely.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

thats life in the big city, try not to follow too closely and hope that everybody else does not dive in front of you in the big gap you've left...

Which is why it's all theory anyway.  Open a six car length gap in any kind of traffic and it will be filled in in no time.  Slow down, and more pour in.  All you can do is try to maintain some distance and stay alert.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#19]
At 16 years old I was victim to this method of driving....

Pouring rain, going with the flow of traffic, guy in front of me changed lanes at the last minute, and my truck hydroplaned for almost 100 yards before I rear ended an asshat trying to make an illegal left turn across two lanes of traffic...

I got a $60 ticket for failure to maintain controll. The other guy got a ticket for no signal, impeding the flow of traffic, and driving under a suspended license, but since I hit him, my insurance covered the damage, and my rates doubled for 3 years,,,,
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:27:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Welcome to Virginia.
sorry for the non driving idiots out there.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You be following too closely.  Yes, you will ignore this.  You will think the cop is wrong after you back end someone and get a ticket.   You might even get sued for a whiplash injury or childrens injuries, and will lose.  Yes ignore this and continue to follow too closely.

So you think at speed a nice 5-6 car gap (which isn't going to happen in serious traffic anyway) behind the vehicle ahead of you will permit you to come to a complete stop if you can not see the obstruction and get no warning prior to the car in front darting out of the way?

With my anti-lock brakes I think I could, without them....  I doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#22]
You are following too closely. I agree though that it is shitty situation because if you drive correctly and leave an appropriate gap between you and the car infront of you 75 people will pile into that gap forcing you to create a new gap where another 75 people will pile in to that one and it goes on and on and soon you don't get home because you are the only person driving correctly on the interstate. Sucks but that is life on the modern freeway.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't let all of this stuff rile you up, it's going to happen, and it just part of life.  Just turn the Sirus etc on a bit louder and get a quick drink of water and something to nibble on, and when you walk thru the door kiss the wife, pat the dog, hug your children.  And thank God that you made it home alive and well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Years of driving in and around Boston has taught me to keep an eye on breaklights three or four cars ahead. If you can't see three or four cars ahead, you are driving too close.

You have to stay aware in order to drive 90 mph with only two car lengths between you and the car infront. It is an artform.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#25]
one of my favorites is the 3 lane ghetto(sub out ghetto for any slur youd like).  people start on the outside lane...no turn signal or anything and bam they are heading up an off ramp.  cutting people off all over.  idiots.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Could it be a variation of the "stop and squat" insurance scam? IOW, the driver of car that swerves, and the driver of the car that is rear ended are working together so they can bilk the insurance companies?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry, but true

while legally that is probably true, rationally it should not be. If I was driving a loaded truck and the tiny geo metro in front of me slammed on his brakes as hard as he could, and also used his e-brakes as well, even if I was the perfect driver with excellent reaction time, I would not be able to stop in time to avoid rear ending him. If the driver in front of you inexplicably comes to a screeching halt, it is his fault. This is a similar situation I think, it is the fault of the person in front of you for rear ending the next car, because they were driving eratically.

In driving school, they teach you to have enough space between you and the car in front that you can stop in time if he slams on his brakes or changes lanes suddenly, if you don't, it's called "tailgating" and if you (or I) rear end someone, it's our fault for not following at a safe distance.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not always true.  I had one of these exact deals happen to me.  I had a car with a small trailer on the back.  It was just starting to rain so I backed off the truck in front, I had about 6 car lengths at 40 mph.  The truck in front was one of those delivery type trucks.  Suddenly for no apparent reason just over the crest of the hill he swerved into the left lane having never touched his brakes and left me with a car ahead, not slowing due to traffic, but at a dead stop.  There was NO possible way to make my vechicle stop in time to avoid a standing stopped vehicle.  My car was destroyed.  Hit in front and on the side from other vehicles slamming into this disaster.

The police arrived and issued no ticket to myself.  The accident was written up as unaviodable.  That changed nothing (nor should it) on my insurance paying for it because I did hit someone, so who else should pay?  There is a difference in driving responcibly and be flawless.  The police there at the scene seemed to understand it.

You wouldn't beleive how many times insurance companies say lay the blame in accidents at 50/50, in other words, each party equally at fualt and each ins co repairs their own vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Happened to my dad in Italy... was driving to work, and a the guy a couple cars ahead of him dropped his transmission, and the guy directly in front of him swerved... dad plowed into the tranny dropper. Totalled his nice Honda.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry, but true

In driving school, they teach you to have enough space between you and the car in front that you can stop in time if he slams on his brakes or changes lanes suddenly, if you don't, it's called "tailgating" and if you (or I) rear end someone, it's our fault for not following at a safe distance.

Even if he slams on his brakes he is not stationary instantly.  Minus reaction time (the gap) you will be slowing largely the same rate he is unless there is a huge wieght difference.  With an already stationary target you have to be able to come to a complete stop in the total distance minus your time to recognize what is actually going on.   I remember my cars distance being about 175ft for 70mph.  Even a generous gap (6-8 cars) is not the total emergency stopping distance of the car.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry, but true

Yeah, legally it would be, but there's no way to avoid it. If you're following someone on the highway in the conditions mentioned by the poster, and since you can't see around the car in front, you be a safe driver and allow enough stopping distance to come to a COMPLETE stop from 60mph, which is over 120ft, some car is going to change lanes into your stopping zone and cut it in HALF. Anybody who's driven in a big city knows this. Solution - drive an SUV or stay off the highway.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry, but true

Ever heard of safe assured stopping distance?  If the guy in front of you slams on his brakes, it is YOUR responsibility to be far enough behind to stop.  He can't control how much space you keep between you, that is your job.

As for the lane changing ambushers, I hate them, I've had it happen to me, and there really is nothing you can do but hope for the best.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I wouldnt call that "lane ambushing".  It sound more like "lane jumping".
Lane ambushing, is when youre riding in the HOV lane or a lane which is moving fast, then some ass in the adjacent slow moving lane pulls in front of you unexpectandtly
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#34]
its good when some1 is tailgating you...

or better to upgrade to wider higher performance tires..
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yeah, legally it would be, but there's no way to avoid it. If you're following someone on the highway in the conditions mentioned by the poster, and since you can't see around the car in front, you be a safe driver and allow enough stopping distance to come to a COMPLETE stop from 60mph, which is over 120ft, some car is going to change lanes into your stopping zone and cut it in HALF. Anybody who's driven in a big city knows this. Solution - drive an SUV or stay off the highway.

How about not driving close behind vehicles that block your view then?   I think that would be possible, no matter the traffic or driving conditions.

and accepting responsibility for what you do?   Is that so hard in the world today?- "It is always someone else's fault!"

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about not driving close behind vehicles that block your view then?   I think that would be possible, no matter the traffic or driving conditions.

and accepting responsibility for what you do?   Is that so hard in the world today?- "It is always someone else's fault!"

It isn't someone else's fault.  It's life.  Do you crest every hill with a stop?   Why not?  Can you see over the hill to know there isn't a child playing there or a car stopped there?   Nobody is going to have perfect visiblity around cars at all times.  Nobody is keeping a 14 car gap in heavy traffic without becoming an impediment to traffic themselves.  It's still your fault if you hit them, but normal reasonable driving behaviour is not going to be enough to help you if an object you didn't see is stopped 140ft in front of you when you see it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sorry, but true

Ever heard of safe assured stopping distance?  If the guy in front of you slams on his brakes, it is YOUR responsibility to be far enough behind to stop.  He can't control how much space you keep between you, that is your job.

As for the lane changing ambushers, I hate them, I've had it happen to me, and there really is nothing you can do but hope for the best.

you are missing the whole point of the lane-ambush. HE IS NOT HITTING HIS BRAKES. He is swerving into the next lane with no notice at the last possible second, within feet of the next car in front. By the time the suv moves out of the way so you are able to see that the next car is stopped, you have very little distance to stop.

If a car in front of you slams on his brakes, you see the brake lights and see the car decelerating. You have time to react and to match the deceleration. But if the car in front of you changes lanes without braking, it's as if the car in front of you magically instanttaneously stopped.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
you are missing the whole point of the lane-ambush. HE IS NOT HITTING HIS BRAKES. He is swerving into the next lane with no notice at the last possible second, within feet of the next car in front. By the time the suv moves out of the way so you are able to see that the next car is stopped, you have very little distance to stop.

If a car in front of you slams on his brakes, you see the brake lights and see the car decelerating. You have time to react and to match the deceleration. But if the car in front of you changes lanes without braking, it's as if the car in front of you magically instanttaneously stopped.

No the WHOLE point is if he can't see around the car/ truck in front of him he should BACK OFF.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#39]
This is what guns were made for.

My big bitch is when some asswipe wants to get past........and while there is NO WAY NEAR enough room to get SAFELY PAST at highway speeds......they purposefully gun it and blaze into your lane causing everyone to jam on the brakes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top