Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:57:14 AM EDT

I have a few of them, and they are starting to tick me off, they drift in and out of my vision all day long.

It gets annoying.

Is there any way to get rid of them, or stop getting any more?

ETA:  WITHOUT cutting out my eyeballs.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't. Welcome to my hell.

Just wait until the retinal detachments start.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Cut out your eyeballs.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I just flush them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Get yourself whirled in a centrifuge.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#5]
See a doctor.  Floaters are common and usually harmless, just clumps of vitreous gel.  But if your vision is being affected by them, and/or you are seeing "flashes", this could be something much more serious.

We're talking about your eyesight, so don't screw around.  Better to get a professional opinion on this.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I would like to know too, if there is a easy solution.

I have had the stupid things in my eyes for years! They piss me off, but I never go to the Dr.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#7]
A guy I know is on Zoloft (or some other antidepressant) because of floaters.  Doesn't make him not see them, just makes him not care.  True story.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#8]
get some beer and spend the afternoon "chasing" them...

good times.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cut out your eyeballs.  Problem solved.

That's ridiculous. How helpful is that?

Scrub them gently with a CLEAN wire brush; flush with vinegar for at least 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Blowtorch.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Pull your head out of the toilet!  Problem solved!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I asked a doctor once what could be done/should I be concerned.  His answer:  Nothing and no.

They are very common.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#13]
The only damn time I have issues with those little, squiggly bastards.....IS AT THE RANGE!!!!

Drives me nuts!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Google blepharitis. It's that crusty stuff that sticks to your eyelids.  If you have that I might go see a eye doctor. If you just get the eye snot, no worries.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#16]

try Visine Allergy.  It'll dry them up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A guy I know is on Zoloft (or some other antidepressant) because of floaters.  Doesn't make him not see them, just makes him not care.  True story.

Obviously a sign to bigger issues.

I have floatys also but you're supposed to not see them if you don't think about them.

If you can see them, you're thinking about them.

Solution?

Stop thinking about them and they'll go away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#18]
you might have to flush 2 or 3 times, but floaters usually go down the pipe by the 3rd flush.

I dont think I have ever seen a floater dock on the side of the bowl on the way down, but this could be the problem.  Watch the flush carefully and knock em down if you have to.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
get some beer and spend the afternoon "chasing" them...

good times.

Sounds fun!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The only damn time I have issues with those little, squiggly bastards.....IS AT THE RANGE!!!!

Drives me nuts!!!

I see them the most when I am outside and there is alot of snow on the ground.  Floaters are everwhere with a white background..
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Eye Floaters and Spots

Eye Floaters and Spots

By Judith Lee and Gretchyn Bailey;
reviewed by Dr. Vance Thompson

You may sometimes see small specks or clouds moving in your field of vision. They are called floaters. You can often see them when looking at a plain background, like a blank wall or blue sky. Floaters are actually tiny clumps of gel or cells inside the vitreous, the clear jelly-like fluid that fills the inside of your eye.

Floaters may look like specks, strands, webs or other shapes. Actually, what you are seeing are the shadows of floaters cast on the retina, the light-sensitive part of the eye.

Eye Floaters and Spots Symptoms and Signs

If a spot or shadowy shape passes in front of your field of vision or to the side, you are seeing a floater. Because they are inside your eye, they move with your eyes when you try to see them. You may also see flashes of light. These flashes occur more often in older people as the vitreous humor thickens and tugs on the light-sensitive retina. They may be a warning sign of a detached retina. Flashes also occur after a blow to the head, often called "seeing stars."

Spots and eye floaters.

Eye floaters and spots are usually harmless, but flashes of light may indicate a problem. If you're suddenly seeing spots, floaters or flashes, get an eye exam to make sure nothing's wrong.

Some people experience flashes of light that appear as jagged lines or "heat waves" in both eyes, often lasting 10-20 minutes. These types of flashes are usually caused by a spasm of blood vessels in the brain, which is called a migraine. If a headache follows the flashes, it is called a migraine headache. However, jagged lines or "heat waves" can occur without a headache. In this case, the light flashes are called an ophthalmic migraine, or a migraine without a headache.

What Causes Eye Floaters and Spots?

For most people, floaters occur as they grow older. The vitreous humor thickens and clumps as we age, and floaters result from the clumped vitreous gel. Sometimes pregnant women see spots caused by little bits of protein trapped within the eye. Eye injury or breakdown of the vitreous humor may also cause spots and floaters.

When people reach middle age, the vitreous gel may start to thicken or shrink, forming clumps or strands inside the eye. The vitreous gel pulls away from the back wall of the eye, causing a posterior vitreous detachment. It is a common cause of floaters, and it is more common for people who:

* are nearsighted;
   * have undergone cataract operations;
   * have had YAG laser surgery of the eye;
   * have had inflammation inside the eye.

Treatment for Spots and Floaters

Most spots and eye floaters are merely annoying but harmless when they temporarily enter the field of vision, and many fade over time. People sometimes are interested in surgery to remove floaters, but doctors are willing to perform such surgery only in rare instances.

If you suddenly see new floaters, or eye floaters accompanied by flashes of light or peripheral vision loss, it could indicate serious conditions such as diabetic retinopathy; vascular abnormalities such as retinal hemorrhages or carotid artery disease, or the beginning of a retinal detachment. The retina can tear if the shrinking vitreous gel pulls away from the wall of the eye. This sometimes causes a small amount of bleeding in the eye that may appear as new floaters. You should see your eye doctor immediately.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#22]
icepick.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Most spots and eye floaters are merely annoying but harmless when they temporarily enter the field of vision, and many fade over time. People sometimes are interested in surgery to remove floaters, but doctors are willing to perform such surgery only in rare instances.

Great!!  I am only in my 20s and I will have these f*ckers all my life!  Oh well, thanks for the info...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I've had them since I was little.  Ignore them.  Look at titties.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#25]
* are nearsighted;

So if you can't see far away, chances are you have at least one floater.

Sounds like me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Carb cleaner?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great!!  I am only in my 20s and I will have these f*ckers all my life!  Oh well, thanks for the info...

Told ya so.

If you're really nearsighted like me, they're probably going to get even worse.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I love it when you are getting the crosshairs really settled in and a damn floater obscures the crosshair. Wait wait wait rifle starts wiggling around,,,, aw fuck it !!!!!! Lift up and take a few breaths and try again.

rj
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Told ya so.

By "Really Nearsighted" do you mean like if I take my contacts out I wouldn't even be able to tell there is a computer in front of me if so, then I guess mine will be getting worse

Boy oh boy, this is just getting better my the second  I am glad I never asked the Doc
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have a few of them, and they are starting to tick me off, they drift in and out of my vision all day long.

It gets annoying.

Is there any way to get rid of them, or stop getting any more?

ETA:  WITHOUT cutting out my eyeballs.

not a goddam thing you can do... i rubbed my eye really hard and the next day i had terrible floaters, scared the shit out of me. went to see an eye doc and was told it's pvd, described above. i was also told the same as above, you see a white flash get to a dr immediately.

luckily it's in my left eye but it is distracting as a motherfucker.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I have one that is always there in my right eye.  I am nearsighted, so they are expected.

If you have them though, it would be a good idea to see an opthomolgist (sp?).  They can be a symptom of retina detachment starting...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Told ya so.

By "Really Nearsighted" do you mean like if I take my contacts out I wouldn't even be able to tell there is a computer in front of me if so, then I guess mine will be getting worse

Boy oh boy, this is just getting better my the second  I am glad I never asked the Doc

how old are you? They started getting really bad for me at 25. I can't prove it but I think sitting in front of the computer for 8-10 hours a day makes it worse.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Wait till you have an occular migrane.   Floaters wont matter so much.    Imagine your vision closing in to a small tunnel and you cant stand up straight or see worth a damn for several minutes.    

Cant help on the floaters, appreciate the article posted tho.   I've had minor issues with them over the years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#34]
i'll confess, i read the first 5 posts and skipped the rest, so this might have been said before.

when your eye area is CLEAN, pull your top eye lid over your bottom one.  the idea is to use your lower eyelashes to brush out the inside of your top eyelid.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, I got a couple in each eye.  Annoying as hell.  Can't do anything about it...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to pull negative "G"s as a younger man.  Have had horrendous floaters ever since.  Worse in my right eye, and really screws up using a peep sight.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Enjoy them. Stop sraining so much lifting weights.. etc
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I haven't thought about floaters in years. I went through a period of about a year when I would get them regularly, then they just stopped. That was about five or six years ago. I never really did anything, other than keep a record of when they occurred, both for my own interest and for any questions a doctor might have. Poof...gone!

ETA: Almost forgot, I also had the headaches with them. I'm real glad those stopped.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Lifting weights supposedly caused mine a decade & 1/2+ ago.  They have not gotten any better.  Still block the irons on any target over 25yds away.  Totally bites.  "Shadows at the edge of vision" is a real pain in the butt.  At nite it can look like something scurrying away right at the periphery of my vision as I try to follow it.

At the time I was told they would fade after several years.  Nope.  "Broken blood vessels" due to too much straining.  Apparently certain sex acts can cause them as well...  

There was a book written in the early 80's that said it is all mental, and gave a set of eyeball exercises to eliminate them.  Do not buy it/waste your time on it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Mine don't float any longer, they're constant...most prevalent.

There's no 'cure'...that I'm aware of.

Both diagnosed as detached retinas. Surgery preformed on both eyes.

Ever had a needle in your eye? Not as bad as one would presume.

Regardless...they still remain.

Learn to live, and deal with it. Or repeat, as necessary.

Napoleon_Tanerite
Shut the fuck up...know-it-all!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Lifting weights supposedly caused mine a decade & 1/2+ ago.  They have not gotten any better.  Still block the irons on any target over 25yds away.  Totally bites.  "Shadows at the edge of vision" is a real pain in the butt.  At nite it can look like something scurrying away right at the periphery of my vision as I try to follow it.

At the time I was told they would fade after several years.  Nope.  "Broken blood vessels" due to too much straining.  Apparently certain sex acts can cause them as well...  

There was a book written in the early 80's that said it is all mental, and gave a set of eyeball exercises to eliminate them.  Do not buy it/waste your time on it.

I guess I got off easy with my weightlifting. All I got was hemmorhoids.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#42]
deleted
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Drives me nuts!!!

That's because your blood pressure rises and you are concentrating.  Welcome to getting older hell@@
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
i'll confess, i read the first 5 posts and skipped the rest, so this might have been said before.

when your eye area is CLEAN, pull your top eye lid over your bottom one.  the idea is to use your lower eyelashes to brush out the inside of your top eyelid.

Flush out your head gear...new guy!

You may sometimes see small specks or clouds moving in your field of vision. They are called floaters. You can often see them when looking at a plain background, like a blank wall or blue sky. Floaters are actually tiny clumps of gel or cells inside the vitreous, the clear jelly-like fluid that fills the inside of your eye.

Floaters may look like specks, strands, webs or other shapes. Actually, what you are seeing are the shadows of floaters cast on the retina, the light-sensitive part of the eye.

Eye Floaters and Spots Symptoms and Signs
If a spot or shadowy shape passes in front of your field of vision or to the side, you are seeing a floater. Because they are inside your eye, they move with your eyes when you try to see them. You may also see flashes of light. These flashes occur more often in older people as the vitreous humor thickens and tugs on the light-sensitive retina. They may be a warning sign of a detached retina. Flashes also occur after a blow to the head, often called "seeing stars."

Eye floaters and spots are usually harmless, but flashes of light may indicate a problem. If you're suddenly seeing spots, floaters or flashes, get an eye exam to make sure nothing's wrong.

Some people experience flashes of light that appear as jagged lines or "heat waves" in both eyes, often lasting 10-20 minutes. These types of flashes are usually caused by a spasm of blood vessels in the brain, which is called a migraine. If a headache follows the flashes, it is called a migraine headache. However, jagged lines or "heat waves" can occur without a headache. In this case, the light flashes are called an ophthalmic migraine, or a migraine without a headache.

As per your prescription, and request...I'll attempt, or try to keep my eye's clean to avoid the inevitable circumstances.  

Carry on...Captain 'retard.'
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lifting weights supposedly caused mine

I guess I got off easy with my weightlifting. All I got was hemmorhoids.

OMG!!!

Lifting can cause that?????  Anyone else heard this?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Yep, you have way too many "Eye Give a Farks", you should not care as much, and once you get this under control, demonstrate to folks at every opportunity the fact that you are all out of "Eye Give a farks"

Now that the fun is over, seek real medical help!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I had a vitreous hemmorage Feb. of 2003 in my left eye and one in my right eye last May. It leaves floaters everywhere. The seem to have gotten a little better. It is like looking through one of the old "Lava Lamps".
Go to an Opthalmologist who specializes in the back of the eye (Retina). I go to a place called "Texas Retina" in Dallas.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I can't prove it but I think sitting in front of the computer for 8-10 hours a day makes it worse.

My sentiments exactly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#49]
fire hose.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't prove it but I think sitting in front of the computer for 8-10 hours a day makes it worse.

My sentiments exactly.

In actuality...I had none prior to flying.

After returning home, from Europe...they suddenly appeared.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top