Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 9:14:12 PM EDT
This retail guy inquires about a $10,000 parcel of gemstones. I take like a 50 pictures, describe the lot in depth, and of course give him a price that's like half of wholesale, about a fifth of retail. He haggles and I give him an even better price, about 18% additional off if he takes it all.

After all his haggling and demands, we reach an agreement. At which point he offers to TRADE me anything in his store. Retail for wholesale(actually about 1/3 of wholeasale). What a deal! I don't know how I turned him down. We're both quite sure "I'll be sorry" I didn't take his generous offer.

Where do people get the idea that it's OK to do business this way?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]

I would completely lose my cool with an asshole like that.    

Wanting a good deal is fine, but completely wasting your time like that is unacceptable.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think I'd show my temper but there would be zero chance of me dealing with that asshat ever again - and I'd pass the word about his business "practices."

+1

I'm not sure, but I don't think your business circle can be that big in an industry like yours.  Let people know that he will waste your time trying to rip you off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#4]
He wants to screw you down on your wholesale price....and then trade you his merch at triple keystone? Whadda Maroon! I hope you laughed in his face.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think I'd show my temper but there would be zero chance of me dealing with that asshat ever again - and I'd pass the word about his business "practices."

+1

I'm not sure, but I don't think your business circle can be that big in an industry like yours.  Let people know that he will waste your time trying to rip you off.

Yeah, I didn't lose my cool. No point, but it is still frustrating. But you'd be surprised how big the jewelry industry actually is. I believe it's the second largest industry next to clothing. You'd be surprised how many of them are just like the guy in this story too. They either try and trade you some garbage at retail, or pay you later. Most of the guys that want to pay later never pay at all. Either that or there's the guys who want a wholesale price on one item and literally make a scene over five bucks or less. They want to get mad because you don't give it to them for a buck over cost when you had to take a $10,000 minimum order to get the deal.

We won't even get into trying to do business with Indians from India. They'll compete against each other for a better price, both will shake your hand and call it a deal and then they'll both back out after they make the deal. Neither of them really want the merchandise, they just don't want their competition to have it either so they nuke the deal for everybody.

About 1 in 100 customers is actually appreciative and educated. But there's no rush like making a 10k plus sale on something that will fit in the change pocket of your jeans. It's the 50 failures that precede that one success that'll drive ya nuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top