Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 7:19:37 PM EDT
Just got back from the Coast Guard station where I took the ASVAB.

Got my AFQT score right after I took the test.  Scored a 93.

So what do I get out of that?  More money?  Rank?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
A wider choices of mos perhaps ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
the score you get determines what MOSs you are qualified to receive training for.  A 93 will get you any mos that you want.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
ASVAB just lets you know what jobs you qualify for, your individual line scores are what matter. As far as I know nothing is based off the AFQT score, and you sure don't get anything extra from it lol
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just got back from the Coast Guard station where I took the ASVAB.

So what do I get out of that?  More money?  Rank?

You pretty much qualify for any rating in the Coast Guard. I also scored a 93, about the only real benefit is when it comes time for you to decide what "A" school or rating you want to pursue. The more technical ratings like Electronics Technician, IT, Health Services, etc require higher ASVAB scores.

Are you going to be a non-rate out of bootcamp or are you going to go straight to an "A" School ? Feel free to ask me any questions you might have anytime about the Coast Guard, I'm starting year seven this month (still in the active reserves after six 5.5 years of Active Duty) I'll try to mis-inform you to the best of my abilities  

If you want to be a Boatswain Monkey or something I think you just have to spell your name right j/k
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
U R SMART!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends.  Getting a score like that will qualify you for any job in any branch.  Some jobs have pretty good enlistment bonuses and better college funds.

Example:  I took mine.  Got a 99.  Army said "Military intelligence", Marines said "In-flight navigator", Navy said "Nuclear Power".  Nuclear power came with a $60,000 college fund, and instant E-3 the day I started basic training, with E-4 in six months.  On the down side, this also required a 6 year enlistment.  I took it anyway.  Don't regret it.

High ASVAB score CAN get you more money, if you pick the right program.  Be carefull, however.  Recruiters get bonuses for enlisting guys into certain fields (like Nuke), and may try to convince you to do something you may not want to do.

If you have any questions about Naval Nuclear Power, send me an PM.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

did you take the AFQT, or the AFOQT?

the test doesnt give you any special pay or anything like that.  you might get a better chance of getting the job you want
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

did you take the AFQT, or the AFOQT?

the test doesnt give you any special pay or anything like that.  you might get a better chance of getting the job you want

The AFQT score is computed from several different area of the ASVAB.

The four areas of the ASVAB used to compute the AFQT score are: Word Knowledge (WK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC), Arithmatic Reasoning (AR), and Mathmatics Knowledge (MK).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/l/blafqtscore.htm

Edit: AFOQT is an Air Force Officer's test so I doubt he would take it for the Coast Guard

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Way to kick some high school ass.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#10]
forgive my ignorance.  i never took the ASVAB, so i dont know how that works.

if he had gotten a 93 on the AFOQT i would have been offering him QUITE the ovation.  as it stands, i'll assume a 93 is a very good score on the ASVAB as well, and say: good job!

what MOS might you want?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#11]
AFQT is a percentile score.  as in your score means you did better than that percentage of people.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, it means you qualify to damn near any MOS. I scored a 91. Choose wisely.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, it means you qualify to damn near any MOS. I scored a 91. Choose wisely.

As they say in the Navy:  "Choose your rate, choose your fate."
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#14]
You are SMOT

Seriously, Good Luck!

Your score may get you an A school you enjoy, but only a diligent effort will bring you success...

I spent several years mentoring men who were new to the military life.

Some of my best men hadnt scored particularly high on their aptitude batteries, but had a personal work ethic that made them a success.

Hopefully, you can bring the best of both worlds to your time in the service.

Again, Good Luck!

PITSNIPE OUT
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got mine back, scored a 96 Dont know if I will enlist though. Its kind of strange to have the marine corp and navy call your house 1-2 times a week
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I know I'm joining the Army (Active).  I still don't know what MOS I'm going to pick yet.

By the way, what is an "A" school?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I just got mine back, scored a 96 Dont know if I will enlist though. Its kind of strange to have the marine corp and navy call your house 1-2 times a week

Yup, once they think you're interested they will hammer the shit out of you.  Doubly so for an AFQT greater than 80.

Marine recruiter didn't sound too pleased when I told him I joined the Navy.  "Oh, ok, thanks, bye..."  Neither was I, since the bastard woke me up and 11 in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I took the ASVAB a few weeks ago and got a 76. I guess I must be dumber than you guys. My line scores qualified me for anything in the Army as far as I can tell though. I'm going to shoot for 96B. I'm 22 and have been out of school for quite a while. I wonder if I would've scored higher straight out of high school.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#19]
When I joined the Army in 85' i scored a 95 gt score.  I could do anything I wanted.  I went into combat arms (Field Artillery) cause' of the bonus then.  I am very proud of my choice, but wish I would have done something with higher tech skills I could use in future life (Besides SHTF stuff) cause what a great experience, hope my son is willing to enlist when he3s old enough, what a great thing to be proud of!! Serve your country in peace or war, its still the most honorable thing you can do today!!

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!! We are the best!! (because we can actually say that for now!)  FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS! ALL AMENDMENTS MATTER!! Folks forget that the Second Amendment (except us ARFCOMMERS) actually protects all the other amendments!!  I certainly hope that all the talkers are true doers if and when the time comes!!  God bless the USA and ALL the Soldiers, Marines, and Sailors that protect our rights!!

(SORRY FOR THE PSUEDO-HIJACK, BUT I LOVE OUR COUNTRY, AND I WISH MORE PPL FELT THE WAY I DO!!)
preachin to the choir I know!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
When I joined the Army in 85' i scored a 95 gt score.  I could do anything I wanted.  I went into combat arms (Field Artillery) cause' of the bonus then.  I am very proud of my choice, but wish I would have done something with higher tech skills I could use in future life (Besides SHTF stuff) cause what a great experience, hope my son is willing to enlist when he3s old enough, what a great thing to be proud of!! Serve your country in peace or war, its still the most honorable thing you can do today!!

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!! We are the best!! (because we can actually say that for now!)  FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS! ALL AMENDMENTS MATTER!! Folks forget that the Second Amendment (except us ARFCOMMERS) actually protects all the other amendments!!  I certainly hope that all the talkers are true doers if and when the time comes!!  God bless the USA and ALL the Soldiers, Marines, and Sailors that protect our rights!!

(SORRY FOR THE PSUEDO-HIJACK, BUT I LOVE OUR COUNTRY, AND I WISH MORE PPL FELT THE WAY I DO!!)

It's 5:30am, sir.  You are going to wake your neighbors with all that yellin.  

- BG
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:55:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You'd make a great field officer.

And of Napolean, stop trying to post on every fucking thread, especially ones you have no fucking clue.  Goddamn.

And I still get calls from recruiters, almost 4 years after I joined.  One Marine called last month to my house.....my mom was like, "uhhh....he's in iraq right now...."  
The Marine apologized profusely and thanked her for her time and me for my service.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And of Napolean, stop trying to post on every fucking thread, especially ones you have no fucking clue.  Goddamn.

Daaaamn Napolean you manage to get into EVERY thread! Not saying you shouldnt be in this one but holy shit you're everywhere!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Good job.  I scored a  98 and thought that was cool until I found out that some guys in my Boot camp division maxed it out. Did they tell you your individual scores. Alot of MOS's/NEC's/special programs etc add up a couple of those scores to determine suitability. With a 93 you should have virtually every MOS/NEC available to you based on that alone. What Army MOS ae you looking at?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:01:03 AM EDT
[#24]
cant remember what I got-but Navy said Nuc-elar.  So I joined 11B instead

Would suggest you do something you would like to do for LIFE- you can use your skills on the outside when you get out/retire.

I found out that sitting in a foxhole did not help me with my computer job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top