Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/7/2006 3:37:30 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to write a step to step on how to make a smoke bomb that will smoke out a neighborhood for under the cost of $6.  I have read several threads here on the forums and figured I would try it myself.  I spent a bit more than the $6 stated above only because I did not have the stuff in hand and wanted to do it outside (recommended) vs inside on the stove.  The smell is sweet but gets to your head.  

Ok needed or what I used

1 stove burner
1 non stick pan
1 spoon
1 bag of sugar
1 bottle of stump remover
1 measuring cup
1 fuse not in first pic.

The mixture is really easy.....60/40 stump remover/sugar

Then place on a low heat and allow it to caramelize.  Keep string and if it starts turning black, remove from heat and work it and replace on a lower heat.

Once the solution is cooked down and becomes like a cookie dough consistency remove off heat and form.  While cooling down I formed it into a shape that I wanted using what ever I had around.  2 pieces of 2x4.  Place fuse into  the cookie and allow to cool.  I went with a half cup size.  According to the forums here on AR this should really put out some smoke and burn for about 1 min or longer.  Please note do not place in anything or around anything that will burn or catch fire.  This will burn at a high rate of temp.  and throw up a good size fire.  

Sorry for the last pic being blurry.  And I will post more pics at a later date of how big this was.  It is dark outside and don't think it would be a good photo shoot.

Be back soon!

V

Links to the other thread here on AR15.com

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=442914&page=1

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been doing this for years as well, nice guide.  I find that it helps sometimes to grind the two into a fine powder then mix and melt them.  That looks like a nice loaf of shit

You can also pour this into a mold while it is still soft, then stick the fuse in.  Cardboard tubes work well for this.  I use a scale because I go by weight.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The pictures are not big enough.

Please install and use the below.

Image Resizer

download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy big pictures batman!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Christ.....resize those pics please.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, even on my 20" widescreen I had to scroll to the right.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
let me know I fixed it on my computer but let me know!

TY
Vedubin01
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
looks like a good time! post some "in use" pics next
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Much better...

Let us know/see how it works.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Salt Peter
Sugar
flashbulb
wire
battery

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks good enough to eat
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
You have to be VERY careful, because if you slightly overheat it it will begin to fill your HOUSE with smoke, and very possibly start a fire.  Watch and stir it every second, and do NOT stir too hard (and throw chunks all over) or drop any powder on the stove.  A spark could set the stuff off.

I've done that before, except I make small "cookies."  Since it seems to be deliquescent, I cover them in wax.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok Guys, It did not work.  I mixed the above 60/40 mix as posted.  I allowed it to dry and lit fuse..............................Nothing!  Advise?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ok Guys, It did not work.  I mixed the above 60/40 mix as posted.  I allowed it to dry and lit fuse..............................Nothing!  Advise?

Dry?  Did you wet it?  No wonder it won't burn!

If you mean "cool,"  I don't know the problem.  DId you fully mix it?  I always mix it beforehand, and do a test burn.  If there's too much sugar left or too much PN, I keep adding whatever I need until there isn't much residue left.  Though even if you mix with really bad amounts it still should burn.

EDITED TO SAY:

I have an idea.  I did once buy a bottle of stump remover that turned out to NOT be potassium nitrate.  Make sure it says on the bottle that it is PN.  I think the two kinds I used are called "Dragon" something-or-other, and "green light", or something.

Do a small test burn before spending time melting it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got the shit in my house, just haven't taken the time to cook it up.

This thread is so tagged.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A How-To Guide where the results don't even work! Classic!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I mean cool and I guess I got the stump remover that is not PN.  There is no detail on what is inside.  It was fine powder that looks like PN but Im guessing not.  Ill go to Home Depot to do it again.  Im just pissed that it did not work.  But such is life.  There is always tomorrow!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Where are the action shots?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAHA I just followed directions.  No one said that there is a stump remover that is not PN!  Live and learn!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
my first tag
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag'd to give it a try myself.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I just googled it, and yeah, the two brands that I know ARE potassium nitrate are Dragon and Green Light.  I forget what kind it was that I bought that wasn't.

By the way, you can also make really cool fireworks with that stuff.  Make a paper tube, stuff some powder in tight, light it at night and watch.  It's pretty.

I once made a volcano by making a large pile of sand, digging a small pit into the top, dumping powder into it, covering the powder with a bunch of sand, sticking a fuse in and lighting it.  Lots of fun.

Also, a really AWESOME thing you can do with pure stump remover is dump it on a campfire.  It is absolutely stunning how fierce and bright the fire gets.  It turns into a white-hot roaring inferno.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

give it a little while.

Someone will come along and make it work.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#25]

TAG

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Super duper tag!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm supprised how it turned out so much like the real thing even with the wrong ingredients!  That looks almost exactly as I remember the one I made looked like.

I made one once a long time ago, while I was in middle school.  We made it in my friend's kitchen.  I read the directions and wasn't stupid.  My friend was a fucking idiot (he later dropped out of highschool).  A couple weeks later, he had another one of my friends over and he ignited it on his stove (cooked it too fast), and the fucking moron nearly burned his house down.  There were huge char marks on his ceiling and the pot was destroyed and his house was full of smoke.

Would I do it inside?  Yeah, if it were too cold out, and I was lazy, or if I didn't have access to a stove outside (a gas BBQ grille would work).  But I don't reccomend doing it inside.  If you do, put the heat on as low as it will possibly go, and strir a lot... if nothing happens after fifteen minutes turn it up slightly higher.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm supprised how it turned out so much like the real thing even with the wrong ingredients!  That looks almost exactly as I remember the one I made looked like.

That's because it's only the sugar that does anything.  The stump remover is just mixed in with the sugar.  It doesn't melt.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#30]
tag
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#32]
It also makes a cheap alternative to both black powder Estes rockets and high-power perchlorate engines.

This Canadian guy has a very data rich and scientific site about making sugar/KNO3 rockets and other compositions. You could spend a lot of time exploring it all.  Cool cool cool www.nakka-rocketry.net/

Check out this project: launching a sugar-based rocket into space!  sugarshot.org/
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Well on my way to Home Depot to get stump remover with PN!  I guess knowing is half the battle!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:46:45 AM EDT
[#35]
IBHBHU  =In before he blows himself up. J/K.......... looks like fun
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#36]
What color is the smoke? Is it possible to put it into something for waterproofing?

(tag) verrrry eeeenteresting...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#37]
TAG

So trying this later.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Are you measuring by weight or volume?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Well first you used the wrong recipie. You don't use PN. I posted the correct recipie on the older smoke bomb thread. There is NO PN in it at all.

ETA: Here is what you do...

OK, here we go. The only tough ingredient is saltpetre but I imagine that is pretty simple to find in these internet days. If I could get it at 12 we can surely find it now.

The most effective mix (from experiments at a 12 year old) is about FOUR PARTS SUGAR to SIX PARTS SALTPETRE.

Cook it on LOW until it melts into a plastic like substance with a waxlike consistency. Do this OUTSIDE in a pan you don't want anymore. You don't want to cook this shit in your kitchen and God help you if you manage to burn it (aka light it).

When it gels up nice nemove it from the heat and allow it to cool. When it cools enough to handle make your desired shapes (baseball size is good for smoke suitable for things like paintball - football size and you will smoke out a football field).

As a tip when it is still maleable dump a bunch of matchheads into the mix to help keep it burning (about 12 match heads per baseball size object). And use a cannon fuse to light (I usually use about a foot of cannon fuse with 2/3 folded into the substance and 1/3 sticking out).

The best method I found was to use aluminum pie tins as molds. Four the mixture into the pie tin (or cook it in the pie tin) until you have a pancake size amount about 3/4 of an inch thick. Then dump about a dozen match heads on the pancake and roll it up like a burrito (at the same time rolling 12 inches of cannon fuse inside it) Then fold the whole burrito shaped object over one time and mold it into something like a small football shape.

Experiment for best size to smoke results.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What color is the smoke? Is it possible to put it into something for waterproofing?

The smoke is a white/grey smoke.  Very thick for sure.  As for waterproofing you can place it in a plastic container or something but it will burn as this stuff does.  But Im guessing it is possible I will have some pics up later.  I live on a golf course and think this will be a good place for a pic but there are many others that live here as well that might not like my antics.  Miami Dade is a bitch sometimes!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Tagged

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well first you used the wrong recipie. You don't use PN. I posted the correct recipie on the older smoke bomb thread. There is NO PN in it at all.

Styer,

Its potassium Nitrate (SaltPetre) Im sorry if that is a element code or something I aint the Brightest one you know......
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Just a note: you guys do NOT want to be inhaling the smoke from these for any extended period of time. Especially the variant that uses mothballs instead of PN.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Are you measuring by weight or volume?

ITs really ment to be done by weight but I have done it with Volume and it has worked in the past. That is when you once was able to buy Saltpeter in the local drug stores under that name.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I use wax.  It works fine.  It works best when the chunk is still hot, so that the wax can soak in.  If the chunk is cold, the wax will probably freeze before it fully bonds, and then it'll peel off easily.

BTW, another cool thing about this stuff is the color of the flame.  It's acutally violet colored.  Not brignt violet, but still very pretty.  It's awesome at night.  It makes a nice roaring sound too.  With my cookies, I always hold them in my hand, and it feels like I'm holding a small jet engine.  If you throw them in the air, the thrust often causes them to spin.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Styer,

Its potassium Nitrate (SaltPetre) Im sorry if that is a element code or something I aint the Brightest one you know......

OOOPS.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#47]
tagaroo
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#48]
tag for home
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#49]
tagged like a drunk highschool chick.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#50]
off to the store
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top