Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 1:37:23 PM EDT
I'm watching 'It Takes a Thief', and they are breaking into a cop's house. The thiefs' are former convicts.

So, they take a safe that has 2 handguns, so, as convicted criminals, are they still subject to the laws covering felons in possession?

I know that the yare not liable for the actual damage to the home, as it's part of the show, but I don't know how the Feds would look at the gun issue....

Any insights?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
they haven't stolen anything.  the homeowner signs a waiver giving them permission to take what they want as long as it's returned.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
it's part of a TV show, so I'd imagine they'd fall under the same exemption as if Johnny Depp were handling a gun on set.  He has some drug convictions, and I am pretty sure he is a felon, but since it's a controlled environment of a movie set it's OK.  I think the same holds true for this show
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
WoW
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they haven't stolen anything.  the homeowner signs a waiver giving them permission to take what they want as long as it's returned.

So they're not stolen.
Does that mean a convicted felon can possess a firearm if it is not stolen?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they're not stolen.

No
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
how did they steal the safe?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Great show. Wish it were on when I could watch it more often.

As to the rights of the guys, it's TV, they can do whatever they want. Cali passed a Fiddy Cal ban but did that stop the Mythbusters...? (Yes I know the show was filmed before the ban was passed ...)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
how did they steal the safe?

t was just a normal ~$100 office safe from Walmart, it wasnt bolted to the floor.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they're not stolen.

Convicted felons have been sent back based on photos of them holding a gun.
I would think possession on videotape would be enough.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep waiting for an episode (which would never be shown,but the blooper tape woud rule!) where some armed homeowner hides in the attic, pops out, and draws down on the burglar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top