Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 10:39:57 AM EDT
The Walmart in my town is expanding to become a Super Walmart.  Well...they are almost done with construction and they had to stop when they found out they hired illegal maxicans.  This was over a month ago and they still have not started it back up.  At least they caught them and I hope they will get some disciplinary action against the illegals and Walmart going.  Has this happened alot to Walmart?

www.newschannel34.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=749B2BB2-B413-4405-ABD3-333FFB04BB8B
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Note to prosecutors: Walmart has deep, deep pockets...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Was it Wal-Mart or thei construction contractor(s)?  And who caught them?  (out of town and the link wouldn't work for me)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Walmart's hands are clean (more or less).

That's all contract and sub contract stuff.

You can bet WalMart's iron clad, and, is gonna
dump everything right back ont he contractor.

You may think WalMart is dumb.......

That must be why they are so successful
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Was it Wal-Mart or thei construction contractor(s)?  And who caught them?  (out of town and the link wouldn't work for me)

It was a construction contractor that had the illegals working for them.  Another contractor turned them in.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You may think WalMart is dumb.......

That must be why they are so successful

Oh come on...why can't you just let me be happy that MY walmart is getting screwed.  

I know it won't hurt them at all but atleast they wasted money on a building they can not use and because of the construction, buisness has slowed down alot for this one store.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
This isn't walmart's problem, this is a screw up by the contractor.

I have done dirt work on several walmarts, the closest that corporate gets to the stores being built, is a walk through to check on prgress and make sure things are on schedule.

They don't go person to person and ask to see a green card, that is the contractors' job.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have done dirt work on several walmarts, the closest that corporate gets to the stores being built, is a walk through to check on prgress and make sure things are on schedule.

They don't go person to person and ask to see a green card, that is the contractors' job.

Another question....Why did they completely stop all construction instead of just finding another contractor?  If it was not walmarts fault, why are they not allowed to finish until an investigation is over?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#8]
What's the deal with people attacking Wally-World?  They've got a good working model, and I personally like the way they deal with problems.  CRUSH THEM!!!  I think it's funny that states are trying to file stuff against Wal-Mart expecting to win.  Now they are trying to write laws that basically penalize Wal-Mart specifically, they never learn.  If Wal-Mart were to pull all of it's business from a single state they would criple that states economy to the point they would be begging.  If you think that Wal-Mart CAN tell all of it's vendors to stop using products from a specific state or they will stop using that vendor, it's a no-brainer.  All it would take would be Wal-Mart to make an example out of 1 state, and that would be the end of that crap.

They don't always do what they should, but they do what works.  Which is why so many people use them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another question....Why did they completely stop all construction instead of just finding another contractor?  If it was not walmarts fault, why are they not allowed to finish until an investigation is over?

I don't think walmart is being told to stop, I think walmart themselves called for the stop until things get straightened out.

Besides, its not like you can go down to the local corner and get a contractor qualified to do a multi million dollar job.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
[Another question....Why did they completely stop all construction instead of just finding another contractor?  If it was not walmarts fault, why are they not allowed to finish until an investigation is over?

Walmart signed a contract with the contracting firm and they have to alot them time to prove that the workers are legal.  They cant go out and find another contracting company until the matter is resolved.  Thus in the same Walmart still and always will suck.  I hope they unionize them and force them to start taking care of the people that work for them.

Go unions!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
i highly doubt that walmart will feel ANY heat from this. they might even come out on top.

"Walmart supports investigation of illegal worker scandal" and so much.

Walmart is the umbrella corp waiting to happen
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top