Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/7/2006 9:55:40 AM EDT
I want to learn more without going to trippy dippy websites to learn about the Mayan calendar and why the year 2012 is significant, and why it should be significant to those of us - Christian (as I am) and non Christian -  that haven't really researched it before. And why it isn't just tin foil hat silliness.

Please discuss.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Mayans were primitive savages for the most part.  

I'm not too concerned about what their calender or beliefs might imply for our modern world.  I don't think that makes me bigoted or judgmental, but rather pragmatic and reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#2]
That's when the Smurfs will rise and smurf us all over the place so we can live in smurfy way.

Smurf ya later.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's when the Smurfs will rise and smurf us all over the place so we can live in smurfy way.

Smurf ya later.

Which raises another important philosophical question.  

Were smurfs gay, or was that one Smurfette the biggest whore in the land?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smurf ya later.

Why do you think they were all blue?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smurf ya later.

She is a whore.  That's why she walked funny.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm not too concerned about what their calender or beliefs might imply for our modern world.  I don't think that makes me bigoted or judgmental, but rather pragmatic and reasonable.

They did stumble across the zero before us whitey's did...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

The ending of the Mayan calendar has about as much importance as apocalyptic crap from the Bible.

(oooooooohhhhh, there I've gone and done it )
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Its hard to respect a peoples ideas, when those people probably took a shit outside in a hole in the ground!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#12]
obvious interest in 2012 will get the beast's attention and he will attempt to brand you with his mark. beware undue interest in this issue and show it at you perile..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Jan 19, 2038 3:14:07 willl be the end of the world, any other prediction is wrong.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Seems to me like their calander ended WAY before they thought it would.

Met any Mayans lately?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The Mayans got all the use out of their calendar they needed. It's still here, they're not.  Maybe the guy who carved it broke his chisel.  He thought about it for a while and said to hell with it.  Nobody here will ever run out the calendar so why should I bother? Maybe the guy ran out of stone tablets.  Maybe he just got tired of screwing with it and went on to something else.

I'm not a Mayan so it doesn't apply to me. Now, if I were, I'd be real worried.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smurf ya later.

Without a "package check" how do we know that Smurfette isn't really just a transgendered smurf.......... Of course, the answer could be "both"

<eta>  damn, beaten by TimJ re "The Crying Game" smurfette.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#17]
It doesn't really "end" any more than a year "ends".
So said my "Maya, Inca, Aztec" prof back at PSU anyway.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar#End_of_the_world.3F

So yeah, no worries.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#18]
So the calendar will stop and the zombies will attack, thats what I think will happen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Met any Mayans lately?

Yes.

There's 6 million of them left in Central America.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#20]
If the world doesn't end in 2012 at the end of the Mayan Calendar then it will end in 2025 when the perpetual calendar I got from Popular Science in 1973 runs out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The ending of the Mayan calendar has about as much importance as apocalyptic crap from the Bible.

I'm glad someone else recognized the irony of that statement.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Jan 19, 2038 3:14:07 willl be the end of the world, any other prediction is wrong.

FUCK!!!!!

I won't have my income tax refund back before then.

How am I suppose to party like it's 1999 if I gots no dough?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The Mayans got all the use out of their calendar they needed. It's still here, they're not.  Maybe the guy who carved it broke his chisel.  He thought about it for a while and said to hell with it.  Nobody here will ever run out the calendar so why should I bother? Maybe the guy ran out of stone tablets.  Maybe he just got tired of screwing with it and went on to something else.

I'm not a Mayan so it doesn't apply to me. Now, if I were, I'd be real worried.

That is a good point....I mean, think about it: they had to stop SOMEWHERE. They couldn't just have their calander go on into infinity, might as well stop when you're a couple thousand years ahead.

I have heard somewhere, however, that there is another ancient society who's calender ends in the same year. If this is true, and if these two tribes could not have intereacted with each other, THEN you might have something there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Just the end of your computer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I think syphillis and smallpox and the Spaniards fucking all their long-haired women and killing all the men had a little more to do with the end of their calendar than some apocalyptic ending. ..  . . . .
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Met any Mayans lately?

Yes.

And they haven't been "Mayans" for centuries.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Does this mean that I get to stock up for Y2K+12?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I know a Mexican who carries around a broken umbrella.
Do you think it might rain?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smurf ya later.

Why do you think they were all blue?

transverse fission for the males.
females reproduce by hybridogenesis, but since all the males are homosexual, this rarely occurs due to the lack of ovum-stimulating sperm.
IIRC, smurfette was the result of a very drunken and confused night of distilled smurfberry schnapps debauchary.

ETA:  As far as the Mayans go, I suppose they would've started carving a new calendar by now...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Met any Mayans lately?

Yes.

Yup, they're still in mexico, Belize and Guatemala.  The language is still being spoken and the Mexicans still call them "Maya"--albeit in a derisive manner.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

img155.imageshack.us/img155/2134/marylandsnowprep3im.jpg

Are you lactose intolerant? Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#32]
DK-Prof stated:

Not true the Mayans were more advanced then the Europeans in a lot of ways. One was the calendar. The Mayan calendar was the most accurate until modern times. They even have leap years. The Mayan calendar is circular 2012 is just the end of one cycle and the beginning of the next. Not the end of time or the world. The cycle just starts again. Link
webexhibits.org/calendars/calendar-mayan.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#33]
No one said it yet, 87
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#34]
If you must be tinfoil, I'd be more concerned about June 6th, 2006 (06/06/06 = 666)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#35]
At any rate, Mayans alive or not, cycling or not, end of the world or not, it's bullshit.

Tell ya what - if the world ends in 2012, I'll buy the entire membership of this board a beer (each).
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#36]
If the mayans where claiming that the SHTF on 2012, then they kind of got that wrong didn't they...Their shtf a long time ago.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
DK-Prof stated:

Not true the Mayans were more advanced then the Europeans in a lot of ways. One was the calendar. The Mayan calendar was the most accurate until modern times. They even have leap years. The Mayan calendar is circular 2012 is just the end of one cycle and the beginning of the next. Not the end of time or the world. The cycle just starts again. Link

Keep dreaming.

They were savages, but happened to have a couple of neat quirky things in their calender.  So what?  

So did Druids in englands, back in the mists of time.  Stonehenge is very "sophisticated" in terms of the tracking of solar/lunar positions, etc.  Very "accurate" but still just based on observation and pattern recognition, not causal inference, logic, etc.   The cultures that built stonehenge were savages, and the Maya were primtive savages.

No real written language, constantly engaged in pointless tribal wars, human sacrifice, no real domestication or husbandry of animals, no sophisticated development of mutliple crops, complicated agruculture or even irrigation, etc. etc.

I stand by the primtive savages argument.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Trouble maker.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#39]
2012 is very significant.  That's the year I retire.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

img155.imageshack.us/img155/2134/marylandsnowprep3im.jpg

Dude I hope you got that on sale
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Met any Mayans lately?

Yes.

Yup, they're still in mexico, Belize and Guatemala.  The language is still being spoken and the Mexicans still call them "Maya"--albeit in a derisive manner.

We don't call Italians "Romans" unless they are actually residents of that city, and we haven't for centuries.

Same principle applies.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If the world doesn't end in 2012 at the end of the Mayan Calendar then it will end in 2025 when the perpetual calendar I got from Popular Science in 1973 runs out.

Since when did something perpetual end?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If you must be tinfoil, I'd be more concerned about June 6th, 2006 (06/06/06 = 666)

Oh shit, I need more ammo......
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#44]
The Maya believed that time was cyclic, not linear like we do. The thought that time would start again. I know for a fact that this is what the Aztec believed this I am I sure the Maya believed it also.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I want to learn more without going to trippy dippy websites to learn about the Mayan calendar and why the year 2012 is significant, and why it should be significant to those of us - Christian (as I am) and non Christian -  that haven't really researched it before. And why it isn't just tin foil hat silliness.

Please discuss.

From what I remember in my anthropology class, the Mayans had two calenders, a sacred calender (used for tracking religious holidays) and a solar calender (used for tracking what day it was)  (they actually had a lot more calenders than that, even one based on the cycles of Venus)  The sacred and solar calenders had different numbers of days in it so they never matched except for every 400 years or so when they met up with each other again.  When the two calenders fell on the same days, then the world was met with a new age.  According to the Mayans, there were three unsuccessfull worlds created before them, and they were in the fourth creation.  That creation is scheduled to come to an end in 2012, and the world will progress to the next age.  FWIW,  the Mayans didn't necessarily believe it would be the end of the world type deal, they basically didn't know what to expect.  
I did this all off memory, so the times for the overlap might not be correct.

Interestingly enough, the Aztecs had a similar system, and whenever the calenders linked up (every 50 years or so) is when they would conduct their human sacerfices.

And obviously their time was off, as their world effectively came to an end a long time ago.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
obvious interest in 2012 will get the beast's attention and he will attempt to brand you with his mark. beware undue interest in this issue and show it at you perile..

I just want to know what's up is all.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DK-Prof stated:

Keep dreaming.

They were savages, but happened to have a couple of neat quirky things in their calender.  So what?  

So did Druids in englands, back in the mists of time.  Stonehenge is very "sophisticated" in terms of the tracking of solar/lunar positions, etc.  Very "accurate" but still just based on observation and pattern recognition, not causal inference, logic, etc.   The cultures that built stonehenge were savages, and the Maya were primtive savages.

No real written language, constantly engaged in pointless tribal wars, human sacrifice, no real domestication or husbandry of animals, no sophisticated development of mutliple crops, complicated agruculture or even irrigation, etc. etc.

I stand by the primtive savages argument.

There you go using FACTS again on ARfcom. When will you ever learn...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when did something perpetual end?

In 2025.

Hey! I didn't name the thing!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Met any Mayans lately?

Yes.

We don't call Italians "Romans" unless they are actually residents of that city, and we haven't for centuries.

Same principle applies.

Not really.

You can readily identify those with Mayan genes....they're pretty distinctive-looking people.

The Mayan people lived in dozens of different city-states, so it's not like a nationality. It would be more correct to call them a "civilization"

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just want to know what's up is all.

pandora said the same thing.. so did eve..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top