Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 8:44:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Can You Beilve tihs?

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

SPELL Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
The moral of this story? Dew knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl yore mistakes!

Excuse me, have to dig hole to hide from Spelling Nazi's.......

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]
spelling nazis are around because they can't make any other kind of logical argument

if you can't beat them, correct their spelling
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Found a mistake on the test.

FLOATATION is correct, but it says FLOTATION is correct.   Verified on dictionary.com.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Found another one.

MINISCULE is correct, but the test says MINUSCULE is correct.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
And another one

COMPLIMENT is correct, but the test says COMPLEMENT is correct.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And another one

Actually, both of those are correct, depending on the usage.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
spelling nazis are around because they can't make any other kind of logical argument

if you can't beat them, correct their spelling

Now come on, when somebody is being a real asshat it's fun to show them that they are not really as smart or perfect as they think they are.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Spelling nazis* are around because they can't make any other kind of logical argument

*I am impressed that you did not put an apostrophe there

If you can't beat them, correct their spelling

Not necessarily.  When someone makes a common, annoying mistake I will correct them, but if we are discussing I will not correct grammar.  I keep those two completely separate.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

FLOATATION is correct, but it says FLOTATION is correct.   Verified on dictionary.com.  

Flotation is correct.

EDITED TO ADD:  I just checked, both are correct, but "flotation" is more correct according to M-W.com.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It lists them both as correct but flotation is generally accepted to be the proper spelling.  It's one of those gotchas.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And another one

Actually, both of those are correct, depending on the usage.

Compliment is a praise, complement as used on the test means to complete.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you spell?

know
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#14]
The test isn't only a spelling test, it's a grammer test as well.  Words like "cite, "site" and "sight" are all spelled correctly, but are used in a single test question.  Also there are some words that aren't exactly common, like "chocolaty" and "ukulelee".   How bloody often do you use those words or even see them in print?  It's hard to spell words that you don't see in print at least now and again.

Oh, I did 38 out of 50, but I was losing patience there at the end.  I guess it's a test of your attention span as well!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#15]
39 out of 50.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top