Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:57:13 AM EDT
I was lifting some heavy stuff last week and woke up with a bad back and neck. It's been with me for a week now and I've been trying to ignore it. But the sharp, stabbing  pain is starting to win. Anyone have any home remedies that help heal it quicker? I commute 90 minutes each way so I know that isn't helping it heal any faster either.

Mostly I've been doing Ben Gay rubs, but a freind said ice and several advil works better with some light strecthing? I'm not going to the doctors since it isn't traveling down my legs or anything like that, right now it's just SHARP middle back pain if I move the wrong way.

Any quick fixes?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, there is no quick fix.

Your muscle spasms perpetuate each other.  You have to break the cycle somehow.  Please see a doctor of your choice.

The medication that works best for me is etodolac, trade name Lodine, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).  It doesn't mess up my head or digestion like narcotics do, nor does it hurt my stomach.  You might try Naprosyn or a high dose of another OTC pain reliever.

ETA I'm not a doc, but FYI doctors prescribe Motrin up to 800 mg per dose, 3 times per day for healthy adults.  That's about twice the maximum dose recommended on the OTC label.

Good luck.  I understand how much of a drag that kind of pain can be.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#2]
No quick fixes.

I believe ice for first 24 hours, then heat after that.

My back occasionally gives me trouble.  Just keep stretching.  I found that I have to stretch both ways to keep things working.  I bend over and touch my toes, and then lean back on an exercise ball to stretch the other way.  It is like 30 inches or so in diameter.  Works for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I would ask familly and friends for a recomendation for a "good" chiropractor. I had some back problems and went to see one and now a few months later I am better. Total out of pocket was less than $150 and  I went in for several visits. From what I gather though there are a lot of quacks out there and rip-off artists so do the research. I would ask for recomendations and call the BBB. You could also look for a physical therapist who helps with sport injuries.

There are no 'home remedies' I think you need treatment. Personally if I could find a good Chiro that would be my first choice. Your Dr may know a good one, or he could hate Chiro's. But take the time to do a little home work, and you might need x-rays depending on the severity of the injury.

Get ready for the inevitable flame war now coming from Dr.'s who hate chiropracters.    
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would ask familly and friends for a recomendation for a "good" chiropractor.

101% CORRECT!..........get Thee to a Chiropractor !!

Get ready for the inevitable flame war now coming from Dr.'s who hate chiropracters.    

And so many of those have never even been to a Chiropractor!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would ask familly and friends for a recomendation for a "good" chiropractor. I had some back problems and went to see one and now a few months later I am better. Total out of pocket was less than $150 and  I went in for several visits. From what I gather though there are a lot of quacks out there and rip-off artists so do the research. I would ask for recomendations and call the BBB. You could also look for a physical therapist who helps with sport injuries.

There are no 'home remedies' I think you need treatment. Personally if I could find a good Chiro that would be my first choice. Your Dr may know a good one, or he could hate Chiro's. But take the time to do a little home work, and you might need x-rays depending on the severity of the injury.

__

This isn't to step on Chiropractors...though, as having had lower back pain and neck pain (neck due to auto accident), x-rays will do absolutely nothing if soft tissue damage has occurred.

There are no "home remedies", nor homeopathic ones either (Chiro's).

Please see a doctor if you're in pain.  Leave it to your Dr. to do the "home work."

As a patient, I don't "...hate chiropracters."

Though Chiro's happilly treated me for lower back-pain and took my money for six-months before my primary care physician (who I should have listened to in the first place) ordered an MRI of my lower back.  A herniated disk (L5-S1) was the cause of my lower back pain and numbness in my leg.  After a laminectomy 12-yrs. ago, I was able to start running again in four-months.

A Chiro at my synogogue offered to help me after an auto accident three-yrs. ago.  He took an X-ray.  Visits to his office failed to provide other than temporary muscle relief.  I should have learned at this point.

An MRI prescribed by my primary care physician indicated a herniated disk in my neck.  Surgery fixed it.

I'm not an advocate for being operated upon, though I would certainly recommend that any lingering pain be properly diagnosed.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
400 mgs of motrin every 4 hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top