Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 6:29:19 AM EDT
Yesterday I received an American Rifleman DVD from the NRA called Ten Guns That Changed the World. I did not request this DVD in any way. Now my options are to either send them a check for the DVD I did not order or pay return shipping on the DVD I did not order.

I support the NRA 100%, but I do not appreciate receiving unsolicited products at my expense.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#1]
So what are the 10 guns?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's unsolicited, you're allowed by law to keep it.

Either that or reseal the package and write "refused, return to sender" on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought you meant how they keep tracking you down to rejoin. I let my NRA membership lapse a few years back. Out of the blue, after I just moved into this house, I get a phone call from them wanting me to re-up. I did, but they must have a department that does nothing but track down former members.

I was with Columbia House back in 1991-92, they have been following me like stalkers off and on trying to get me back... for the past 14 freaking years!

Law enforcement should subcontract their outstanding warrants to Columbia House, I'm sure they'd clear a lot of them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#4]
If you open, then reseal the package, you can write return to sender all you want. The postal clerk will still make you pay shipping to return it if the package has been opened. If you are intent on sending it back, i'd call the nra and ask for a call tag or prepaid return envelope and tell then you will return it as soon as that arrives. but you know there not gonna do that or even care. It's just another attempt to get some CHC out of you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Send the bill in with a note saying you're keeping it and not paying for it because it was unsolicited. After that there's nothing they can do.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Didn't this come up before?

I don't think there is any binding legal obligation to pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Ever since I became a life member, I don't get that shit anymore.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#9]
If you read the little pamphlet that came with it, I beleive it says that you can keep it and not payfor it. That's what I did, and I haven't gotten a bill. Never pay for something you didn't order. If you do, thier extorsion (sp?) tactics worked.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you read the little pamphlet that came with it, I beleive it says that you can keep it and not payfor it. That's what I did, and I haven't gotten a bill. Never pay for something you didn't order. If you do, thier extorsion (sp?) tactics worked.

++

i never payed for mine either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#11]
You need to check if Kentucy has the "book of the month club" law.  Most states do -- it allows a consumer to legally keep unsolicited merchandise sent to him with a bill or return option.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I posted this subject up a few months back. I kept the movie (haven;t watched it) and refuse to pay for it. They have senbt several "reminders" but I ignore them. If this is what the NRA has become, I probably won't rejoin.

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]
If you look at all the materials that came with it you will find a return envelope that is already pre-paid.  Or you can keep the DVD and not pay anything because you didn't request it.  Or you can watch it and pay for it and order more like I did because it's actually a pretty good set of movies.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you open, then reseal the package, you can write return to sender all you want. The postal clerk will still make you pay shipping to return it if the package has been opened. If you are intent on sending it back, i'd call the nra and ask for a call tag or prepaid return envelope and tell then you will return it as soon as that arrives. but you know there not gonna do that or even care. It's just another attempt to get some CHC out of you.

Have done that a few times with my Columbia House rejects that I mistakenly opened. Reclose, refuse, drop in mailbox.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a renweal email from them today.  Good thing, too.  My membership is not up until October.  Whew!  Dodged a bullet there!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I joined the NRA last year, even made a donation to NRA-ILA.  The bad thing is I get renewal notices every 2 months since I've joined.

I'm thinking I won't re-up this year.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you look at all the materials that came with it you will find a return envelope that is already pre-paid.  Or you can keep the DVD and not pay anything because you didn't request it.  Or you can watch it and pay for it and order more like I did because it's actually a pretty good set of movies.

The only envelope enclosed was a small one for sending a payment.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I got that one too, but I thought there was a return thing for the tape too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Keep it and ignore them.

They can't charge you shit.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I joined the NRA last year, even made a donation to NRA-ILA.  The bad thing is I get renewal notices every 2 months since I've joined.

I'm thinking I won't re-up this year.

Dude...  Delete the email or throw away the renewal letter.  It takes 5 seconds.  That is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.  It is important to support the RKBA, and they do.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't cheap out. Send them a few bucks for it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#23]
As life-member,  and contributor to NRA ILA/PVF, I got the samething a few years ago; and about a month or two later, they send you bill demanding that you send the tape back or cough up $$.  I personally was going to send the tape back because I don't have an interest in WWII weapons.  I called the NRA and they told me to keep tape and forget about the bill.  It's stuff like this that really turns me off about the NRA, these people are wasting my money.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What a bunch of cheap fuckers!!!!!!!!

I'm not cheap. I would have gladly sent the if they had simply asked for it. I am simply questioning the tactics used to solicit money for our cause. Why not just send an order form askimg you to choose a DVD instead of sending it and then asking for a paymet?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Didn't this come up before?

I don't think there is any binding legal obligation to pay for it.

Yes, they did that to me a couple of years ago. I kept the tape and didn't give them a dime. They sent me notices like I owed them something.

Of course, I already donate over and above most every year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top