Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 4:56:45 AM EDT
Hehe...
Just bought this little Dell Latitude LM on Sunday for $65...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:31&Item=6855961923

It's got a blazing fast 133mhz Pentium cpu running Win98se
A whopping 24mb of ram
and...   a huge 1.4gig hard drive.

(I actually bought it to run a DOS engine monitoring program on my '86 Buick Regal T-type.)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#1]
i wouldn't have paid 20 bucks for that thing

why didn't you  buy one of dells  $449 specials.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#2]
is it a crank start, or do you just pedal it?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Because those Dells are BULLETPROOF while the current ones are CRAP.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:15:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because those Dells are BULLETPROOF while the current ones are CRAP.

agreed
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I actually think I'd buy another 650mhz Inspiron 7500 for $300 before I bought any of the new junk.

This little Latitude LM is clean as a whistle and looks like it's never been used.
For $65, it's the perfect DOS machine for what I need.
I wiped the HDD clean last night, removing Win95, and installed a fresh copy of Win98.

I was just amazed that I was able to get on the internet by simply swapping in the Linksys ethernet card from the Inspiron 7500 that I use here at work.
It's a little slow-going though...  'Kinda reminds me of dial-up days.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 just like it, and one a little faster, (233Mhz I think) that I picked up at a rummage sale last year and I don't use any of them.  The 2 slower ones don't have an OS installed, but the faster one I am running Win 98 and AutoCad.

Maybe I should ebay them.  I thought they were useless...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have 2 just like it, and one a little faster, (233Mhz I think) that I picked up at a rummage sale last year and I don't use any of them.  The 2 slower ones don't have an OS installed, but the faster one I am running Win 98 and AutoCad.

Maybe I should ebay them.  I thought they were useless...

Drop me an IM...   I might be interested if the price is right.

I can pay via 30rd mags if needed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
is it a crank start, or do you just pedal it?

He'll answer you tomorrow or the next day.

It's running a little slow.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

...(I actually bought it to run a DOS engine monitoring program on my '86 Buick Regal T-type.)

Don't leave us in suspense, man!

What year?

What color?

Post some damn PICS already!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#10]
133mhz should adequately run a DOS diagnostic program with cycles to spare. I just purchased a used 1.7ghz machine for a good price. I'm glad the CPU mhz wars have slowed to such a glacial pace. When I built my desktop PC in 2003 I thought it might be a useful gaming system for 2 years at most. But now it looks like it might last for 2 more years. They can take their sweet time breaking the 4.0ghz desktop CPU barrier.

Galland
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...(I actually bought it to run a DOS engine monitoring program on my '86 Buick Regal T-type.)

Don't leave us in suspense, man!

What year?

What color?

Yeah what he said
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#12]
That's a killer deal! I need something similar to run Win2000 or WinXP that will live in the garage as a standalone dedicated computer in a similar fashion. It has to have a parallel port though and it seems most newer Dells don't come with a Para port.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here ya go...  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That's a killer deal! I need something similar to run Win2000 or WinXP that will live in the garage as a standalone dedicated computer in a similar fashion. It has to have a parallel port though and it seems most newer Dells don't come with a Para port.

I'll tell ya what...  I couldn't be happier with my Dell Inspiron 7500 running @ 650mhz, with 15" screen.
I have WinXP Pro installed and it runs fantastic with just 256mb ram. I just bumped it to 512mb, so now it's even better. It has the para port on it too, but is too nice of a computer to sit on the front seat of the car. I see them on Ebay going for $250-$300. Well worth it from what I know about mine. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

As far as using a laptop for my Buick, the Latitude LM with it's smaller 12" screen is perfect for that. It really only needs DOS...  Windows98 and internet capability is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:10:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice car.  Where's the bottle?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice car.  Where's the bottle?

The bottles usually stay in the garage if I'm not planning on racing anyone of a serious threat. The car is capable of mid-11's as it sits. The juice will put it well into the 10's.

Last time at the track (back in Sept) it went 11.15 @ 121 on the juice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top