Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 4:14:50 AM EDT
www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/06/D8G6CJV03.html

Some Gitmo Prisoners Don't Want to Go Home
Mar 06 6:46 PM US/Eastern

By BEN FOX
Associated Press Writer

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico

[email protected] Fearing militants or even their own governments, some prisoners at Guantanamo Bay from China, Saudi Arabia and other nations do not want to go home, according to transcripts of hearings at the U.S. prison in Cuba.

Uzbekistan, Yemen, Algeria and Syria are also among the countries to which detainees do not want to return. The inmates have told military tribunals that they or their families could be tortured or killed if they are sent back.

President Bush has said the United States transfers detainees to other countries only when it receives assurances that they will not be tortured. Critics say such assurances are useless. The U.S. has released or transferred 267 prisoners and has announced plans to do the same with at least 123 more in the future.

Inmates have told military tribunals they worry about reprisals from militants who will suspect them of cooperating with U.S. authorities in its war on terror. Others say their own governments may target them for reasons that have nothing to do with why they were taken to Guantanamo Bay in the first place.

A man from Syria who was detained along with his father pleaded with the tribunal for help getting them political asylum _ in any country that will take them.

"You've been saying 'terrorists, terrorists.' If we return, whether we did something or not, there's no such things as human rights. We will be killed immediately," he said. "You know this very well."

It is impossible to know how many of the detainees, most held for years now without being charged, fear going home. The U.S. military does not comment on individual cases, and the detainees generally are not in a position to offer any evidence of persecution as they plead their cases before the tribunals.

A Saudi identified only as Yasim, who said he attended an al-Qaida training camp in Afghanistan and was jailed in his country for selling drugs, told the tribunal that after being repeatedly interrogated at Guantanamo, he fears his fellow prisoners as well as others back in Saudi Arabia.

"I can't go back to my country. I have been threatened to be killed by many people," he said, according to the transcripts, which the Pentagon released Friday in response to a Freedom of Information Act Lawsuit filed by The Associated Press.

A detainee from Uzbekistan told the tribunals in December 2004 that his father and uncles were jailed for their Muslim faith in his native country and said he fears the rest of his family would be tortured if he returned.
The prisoner shrugged off the threat to his own safety in Uzbekistan, where the government has clamped down on Islamic groups which are not sanctioned by the state.

"I'm not afraid to die. We all belong to Allah and we shall return to him," he said.

Wait a minute....   If we send them home, they are afraid they and their families will be tortured???  I thought that we were torturing them!  Isn't that what the media keeps telling us?  Maybe we aren't doing it right?  Perhaps we should take torture lessons from Saddam...  No wait, he was a peaceful benevolent leader for his people.....   I'm so confused now.  Isn't America evil and the rest of the world victims of America?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I must not be to bad for them in Gitmo.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, we aren't REALLY torturing them, but it makes good news copy.

Now that their names have all been released to the public, they have more to fear. In this case, the FOIA helps the terrorists. Although... perhaps the fear of torture by them will serve a purpose for us.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Boofuckinghooo.

Send them home.  Kick their ass out the back door of C130 from FL20 & wish them a happy landing.  No chute of course.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:26:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Boofuckinghooo.

Send them home.  Kick their ass out the back door of C130 from FL20 & wish them a happy landing.  No chute of course.

Not the best idea.
We can easily make this situation work to our advantage by showing a little mercy with the "small fish" who we know won't cause trouble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top