Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 3:55:00 AM EDT
I wear contacts, but have never worn them in saltwater.  How much of a pain is this?  I imagine they take more care than usual?  I plan on alot of snorkeling...  If someone else has used contact lenses anywhere in saltwater, please chime in.

Also, anyplace (particularly good snorkeling spots) on Oahu that I just shouldn't miss?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't wear contacts, but it sounds like a poor idea.  Use a mask or goggles to keep the water out of your eyes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't wear contacts in saltwater...I can tell you from experience.  Have a good mask.
As to snorkeling:  I was on Oahu in October and swam Waikiki Beach.  There is a protective wall about 50 yards out from the beach that has an opening at one end.  The snorkelling was pretty good just outside of that.  The currents were pretty calm the day I was there but I'd be careful in rough conditions since there's a lot of coral around.  My son is stationed at Pearl Harbor there.  I'll ask him where his diver friends go.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Contacts in a well fitted mask are no problem.  Contacts without a mask just float away, I know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Snokel at Hanauma bay...best place there is.

www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hanauma_bay_beach.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
You have to go to Hunamoa Bay (sp) on the east side.  Most awesome for snorkeling.  Here's a tip, pay for the trolley back up from the bottom of the bay to the top of the parking area.  Was stationed at Schofield Barracks for 3 years so I've tried most spots.  Waikiki is good for laying around and catching the rays.  Have fun
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:44:52 AM EDT
[#6]
They rent masks and flippers there.  You can buy fish food down there and then you will get mugged by fish.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:45:31 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the bay, and you MUST go to perl.  There is the Missouri and the Bowfin there.  I consider perl a must see if you visit Hawaii.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
my buddy surfs with contacts in all the time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Its very easy to lose contacts in the ocean.

Wear them with goggles or a mask.  You'll enjoy being able to see well.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Contacts in a well fitted mask are no problem.  Contacts without a mask just float away, I know.

this is true.
if your almost blind pack a pair of glasses for backup.  sure you can't use them with the mask on but you can see to find your way home.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]
If you go to Hanauma Bay, GO EARLY!!!!!

It is SO popular that it's full by 10:00 am, maybe earlier.  I've driven by in the mornings and seen that they're full and effectively closed off till people leave.

Also Lanikai Beach in Kailua.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Snokel at Hanauma bay...best place there is.

www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hanauma_bay_beach.html

I grew up in Hawaii (12 years) & I remember this one time we went to h-bay & saw a shark that has come into the bay during high tide & now was trapped in the bay at low tide.

Cops, Fire, EMS, hell, they even had a hellicopter.

And a large scary shadow in the water. Just the right size to devour small kids (I was 7 at the time I believe).
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Ensure you get to Pearl Harbor and see both the Arizona memorial and the Missouri.

I'm planning on going back this summer, yay!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#14]
if you have the money, you can get a prescription mask at a decent scuba shop.  My girlfriend uses her contacts with her mask on but she has a well fitted mask and lots of experience.  Occasionaly she loses a contact, but she brings plenty of backups.

Trick in Hawaii:  Instead of buying fish food, go buy a bag of frozen peas at the grocery store.  Cut a small corner off of the bag and carry it with you when you are snorkeling (ususally I clip it to my scuba weight belt).  The peas will dribble out during your dive and you'll soon notice a school of fish following you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh, and eat at Dukes Canoe Club! You will NOT be disappointed!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Snorkelling is cool but at the very least, spring for one day of diving....I could use a crude analogy like comparing snorkelling to sex with protection and scuba to sex without protection...but I won't

Seriously, go diving...

As for the contacts, I think you would be fine with a well fitted mask.

Otherthan that, they do make masks with the lenses ground to match a certain eye prescription.  If there is time, it may be worth it to order some.  I think you can get them for about a $100.  Or, check ebay, maybe someone is selling them to match your eyes or close enough.  

Like these.  http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=prescription+scuba+mask&category0=
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Don't wear contacts in saltwater...I can tell you from experience.  Have a good mask.
As to snorkeling:  I was on Oahu in October and swam Waikiki Beach.  There is a protective wall about 50 yards out from the beach that has an opening at one end.  The snorkelling was pretty good just outside of that.  The currents were pretty calm the day I was there but I'd be careful in rough conditions since there's a lot of coral around.  My son is stationed at Pearl Harbor there.  I'll ask him where his diver friends go.  

Just got an email from my son, he agrees that Hunauma Bay is the place to be.  Have fun!
Oh, and +2 on Duke's.  It's great.  There's also a great bar called Lulu's at the east end of Waikiki on the 2nd floor overlooking the beach.  Good food, cold beer and hot waitresses!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I have done diving (in HI) with gas permeable (hard) contacts.
Never lost one.

But I did have one of those nasy experiences where a bit of <something> found its way under the lens (you know what I am talking about if you have worn them for any length of time). 50' down its hard to do much about it - very unpleasant.

I have also gone diving without the lenses -- I am basically short-sighted, and the difference in refractive index of the water was enough that I could actually see pretty well without the lenses.

If you are going to do much diving/snorkeling, a pair of corrected goggles is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Contacts in a well fitted mask are no problem. .

+1
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I dived/snorked many times with contacts and a regular mask, and had no problems with salt water (what do you think saline cleaning/rinsing solution is anyway )  You are more likely to lose a contact surfing or swimming that snorkling/diving with a mask.

I did use a mask with prescription glass for a couple of years, since that was ultimately easier (since I rarely wore contacts anyway, and having to put them in just to go diving was a hassle), but then ended up getting the laser surgery and now don't have to worry about either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I surf with contacts almost daily.  It is the only way I would be able to see the waves.  I wear disposables because they get washed out from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's a hint for you. If a beautiful polynesian girl comes up to you and asks if you want a lay, it's not what you think. Trust me on this one
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I don;pt know if there is a Snorkle Bob's in Oahu, but they rent snorkle gear, and you can rent a mask with your prescription, along with fins and a snorkle for around $45 per week.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#25]
been ther e3 times

smorkled each time

Hanauma (sp) bay is cool- worth going we were there early fish are crtazy there!

Wakiki beach is ok, but can get kinda wavy depending where your at- saw some sea snake there - just about shit myself
Dont buy a bunch of snorkeling crap at home and bring it- pain in the ass- just rent some.

Wore contacts every time, never lost one- just be careful to keep the water out of your eyes- yes, it will sting.

Bring extra contacts with in case.

Wore them on a jet ski there too- lots of water splashed in my face- that sucked- went back to the dock and got my shades- much better-but you risk losing them.

Went to Moose Mcgilicudys (sp) drank lots of beer
Drove around the island in a jeep - fun- DO NOT pick up strangers who ask for rides.
Visit Punch bowl crater/Pearl harbor
if you go to another island and get a taxi to the airport- only pay one direction- do not get a voucher for the return trip when you get back - The fuckers WILL NOT be there and youl have to taxi anyway.

I have not been to a prettier place than wakiki at sunset- almost worth the 8 hour flight.
PS- if your staying at the Hale Koa- great choice!!!!! Nice pool, big beach, security MP's!!

Dreaming of the day we go back.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I have used just a plain mask in the ocean and could see everything quite clearly. My eyes are like a -6 I think. So if you don't have a mask, and don't care about being blind coming out of the water, just don't wear them.
Now I could see fish and coral just fine. But when someone wanted me to read a slate, I still could not make it out.
So I switched to a mask with prescription lenses, then I switched to contacts and just regular lenses in the mask.
Never any problem with a few drops of salt water in the eyes, (from clearing the mask, after scratching an itch or something.)
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#27]
When are you going to be here? If the water is calm on the North Shore, you should skip Hanauma and go to Sharks Cove- Just as much sea life as Hanauma but only a quarter of the people, and its free(you have to pay to go to Hanauma). There is a dive shop about 5 min. from there that rents perscription masks. Surf n Sea is the name of the shop. The beaches on the North Shore are 10x better than Waikiki.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#28]
If the seas are calm these are some good places.

North Shore-

Shark's Cove, outstanding but can be crowded
Three Tables
Waimea Bay--the south end (when calm) is fantastic
Kuilima Cove
Turtle Beach--has, you guessed it..turtles, friendly ones.

Leeward side

Ka-alawai Beach
Kahala Beach

Wai' anae Coast

Papaoneone Beach (when calm) turtles often plentiful
Ko Olina

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top